[0.25]KSP Interstellar (Magnetic Nozzles, ISRU Revamp) Version 0.13

Fractal_UK

This is something I would prefer be removed from a future version, if Fractal would be willing. Line of sight is fine, but having to ensure it's actually pointed at the target is too much micromanagement for my tastes.

Alright, that sounds like a simple request, I will look if I can add an additional config setting to my KSPI 0.90 Extended Configuration Patch

Alright, that sounds like a simple request, I will look if I can add an additional config setting to my KSPI 0.90 Extended Configuration Patch

Transmitters and relays don't need to be pointed at the receiver, unless they are within physics range. 2.3 or 2.5 km. I'm guessing you're referring to not pointing the receiver at the transmitter?

Just want to be clear to make sure someone doesn't look at either of those posts and think that you have to constantly load transmitters and relays and point them.

Edited by Jarardo1

Sorry if this was asked before but I can't seem to find an answer to my question. I now that the electric generator must be hooked up to an reactor to take heat from it and make power. Using that same logic I put radiators on a generator on a solar power satellite which makes tromendus ammountsof heat but it appears that it does not work. Am I doing something wrong or this setup won't work at all.

Is there anyway that by using a MM_Config I can stop the heating of all the cores and solarpannels? And is there another one that can add the waste heat to some other items? Can someone show me how?

IIRC, you can disable the heating model by changing ThermalMechanicsDisabled to "true" in WarpPluginSettings.cfg.

In theory it should be possible to extend the heating to other items, but it may well be more complicated than just an MM config and I wouldn't have the first clue where to start.

Sorry for the delay on the CTT support but school comes first.

It's all done now, the only thing left is to test it.

Great stuff! Thank you!

I just moved into some new digs, so the gaming PC is still boxed up - will give this a shot once I unpack it.

I would very much appreciate an "easy mode", or the ability to turn of waste heat. This could also be taken care of by giving me the information on how to remove waste heat, a wrkaround, or something of the sorts. Bottom line, "These units of too hot heat are harshin' on the 'tect man's mellow."

I have ideas for vessels that will not be possible due to the need to use giant ugly radiators.

Radiators are fine. When you can give them patterns to deploy in. But in this case, no. Definitely not. I simply want ot make an FTL vessel meant for jumping from star system to star system. An interstellar ship, if you will. Which is not the same as a space ship that goes really fast and does sciency amazing things. Look up the definition of interstellar.

Idea: Solar powered interstellar ftl ship similar to the stargate vessel, Destiny.

Results: Wings loaded with solar panels in a fashionable pattern, large vessel, alcubierre integrated drive, standard thruster system for flight (needs work).

Also, somewhere down the line, someone brought up a cool collapsible alcubierre drive. It's cooler than the standard, so I want that one instead. Does anyone know what happened to it? Can I get a link?

I would very much appreciate an "easy mode", or the ability to turn of waste heat. This could also be taken care of by giving me the information on how to remove waste heat, a wrkaround, or something of the sorts. Bottom line, "These units of too hot heat are harshin' on the 'tect man's mellow."

I have ideas for vessels that will not be possible due to the need to use giant ugly radiators.

Radiators are fine. When you can give them patterns to deploy in. But in this case, no. Definitely not. I simply want ot make an FTL vessel meant for jumping from star system to star system. An interstellar ship, if you will. Which is not the same as a space ship that goes really fast and does sciency amazing things. Look up the definition of interstellar.

Idea: Solar powered interstellar ftl ship similar to the stargate vessel, Destiny.

Results: Wings loaded with solar panels in a fashionable pattern, large vessel, alcubierre integrated drive, standard thruster system for flight (needs work).

Also, somewhere down the line, someone brought up a cool collapsible alcubierre drive. It's cooler than the standard, so I want that one instead. Does anyone know what happened to it? Can I get a link?

You could always copy the FNRadiator Module data from a radiator and add them to a Procedural wing or any other part. You would probably want to up the radiatorTemp and upgradedRadiatorTemp parameters.

Or just go to the WarpPluginSettings file and turn ThermalMechanicsDisabled to True.

I'm having a bit of an issue with the Double C Seismic Accelerometer. I have a small lander on the surface of Minmus, and a ship in orbit above minmus with radial decouplers on it. I jettison a decoupler and switch to it, following it down to the surface. When it impacts, I get the message that seismic data is available, but when I switch back to the lander and hit "Collect Impact Data", nothing happens.

- - - Updated - - -

It's listed on the Alcubierre drive page on the wiki, here.

I'm having a bit of an issue with the Double C Seismic Accelerometer. I have a small lander on the surface of Minmus, and a ship in orbit above minmus with radial decouplers on it. I jettison a decoupler and switch to it, following it down to the surface. When it impacts, I get the message that seismic data is available, but when I switch back to the lander and hit "Collect Impact Data", nothing happens.

Stupid question: did you tell it to "record impact data" before hand?

Do you know what speed you hit the surface at? I think there is some minimum speed to trigger it.

>700m/s

Also, does this no longer work?

• If you want the stock science functionality of accelerometer back, go GameData\WarpPlugin\science.cfg and delete this:
    !MODULE[ModuleScienceExperiment]
    {
    }

This might help (from the source code):

/* 
* NOTE: This is a deviation from current KSPI behavior. KSPI currently registers an impact over 40 m/s
* regardless of its mass; this means that trivially light impactors (single instruments, even) could
* trigger the experiment.
* The guard below requires that the impactor have at least as much vertical impact energy as a 1 Mg
* object traveling at 40 m/s. This means that nearly-tangential impacts or very light impactors will need
* to be much faster, but that heavier impactors may be slower.
* */
if (
(Math.Pow(vessel.verticalSpeed, 2d) * vesselMass / 2d < 800d) &&
(vessel.verticalSpeed > 20d)
) {
Debug.Log("[KSP Interstellar] Impactor: Ignored due to vessel imparting too little impact energy.");
return;
}

It is possible if the decoupler is light enough, (inclusive) or the impact is glancing enough (large enough part of the velocity vector is not pointing into the surface), or if the impact altitude is very high (I suspect this might be more of a problem on bodies like Gilly), then the impact will be ignored. There might be a relevant message in the debug log.

This might help (from the source code):

/* 
* NOTE: This is a deviation from current KSPI behavior. KSPI currently registers an impact over 40 m/s
* regardless of its mass; this means that trivially light impactors (single instruments, even) could
* trigger the experiment.
* The guard below requires that the impactor have at least as much vertical impact energy as a 1 Mg
* object traveling at 40 m/s. This means that nearly-tangential impacts or very light impactors will need
* to be much faster, but that heavier impactors may be slower.
* */
if (
(Math.Pow(vessel.verticalSpeed, 2d) * vesselMass / 2d < 800d) &&
(vessel.verticalSpeed > 20d)
) {
Debug.Log("[KSP Interstellar] Impactor: Ignored due to vessel imparting too little impact energy.");
return;
}

It is possible if the decoupler is light enough, (inclusive) or the impact is glancing enough (large enough part of the velocity vector is not pointing into the surface), or if the impact altitude is very high (I suspect this might be more of a problem on bodies like Gilly), then the impact will be ignored. There might be a relevant message in the debug log.

Ah, here's the problem:

[LOG 12:36:21.786] [00:01:37]: TT-38K Radial Decoupler collided into the surface.
[LOG 12:36:21.789] [KSP Interstellar] Handling Impactor
[LOG 12:36:21.793] [KSP Interstellar] Impactor: Impact registered!
[LOG 12:36:21.795] [KSP Interstellar] Handling Impactor
[LOG 12:36:21.811] [KSP Interstellar] Impactor: Ignored because this vessel's impact has already been recorded.
[LOG 12:36:21.814] FF: EventObserver:: collision detected for active vessel Seismic Barrage Debris

Because all the decouplers have the same name, it won't register it. I should be able to fix that by changing the name of the Seismic Barrage vessel between each launch. Going to try it now.

- - - Updated - - -

Hm, or not:

[LOG 12:52:35.447] Unpacking Seismic Barrage 1 Debris
[LOG 12:53:30.453] [CurrencyConverter for Fundraising Campaign]: 0 Reputation taken, yields 0 Funds
[LOG 12:54:15.635] [00:01:42]: TT-38K Radial Decoupler collided into the surface.
[LOG 12:54:15.636] [KSP Interstellar] Handling Impactor
[LOG 12:54:15.638] [KSP Interstellar] Impactor: Impact registered!
[LOG 12:54:15.642] [KSP Interstellar] Handling Impactor
[LOG 12:54:15.683] [KSP Interstellar] Impactor: Ignored because this vessel's impact has already been recorded.
[LOG 12:54:15.684] [KSP Interstellar] Handling Impactor
[LOG 12:54:15.686] [KSP Interstellar] Impactor: Ignored because this vessel's impact has already been recorded.
[LOG 12:54:15.687] FF: EventObserver:: collision detected for active vessel Seismic Barrage 1 Debris

It has a new name, but it still thinks the impact has already been recorded.

It's not a huge issue currently, as I mainly needed it for contracts, although I now know that that's the other kinds, which I can do since updated Boris' patch, but it feels like a bug.

Edited by SaintWacko

Ah, here's the problem:

[LOG 12:36:21.786] [00:01:37]: TT-38K Radial Decoupler collided into the surface.
[LOG 12:36:21.811] [KSP Interstellar] Impactor: Ignored because this vessel's impact has already been recorded.
[LOG 12:36:21.814] FF: EventObserver:: collision detected for active vessel Seismic Barrage Debris

Because all the decouplers have the same name, it won't register it. I should be able to fix that by changing the name of the Seismic Barrage vessel between each launch. Going to try it now.

- - - Updated - - -

Hm, or not:

[LOG 12:53:30.453] [CurrencyConverter for Fundraising Campaign]: 0 Reputation taken, yields 0 Funds
[LOG 12:54:15.635] [00:01:42]: TT-38K Radial Decoupler collided into the surface.
[LOG 12:54:15.683] [KSP Interstellar] Impactor: Ignored because this vessel's impact has already been recorded.
[LOG 12:54:15.686] [KSP Interstellar] Impactor: Ignored because this vessel's impact has already been recorded.
[LOG 12:54:15.687] FF: EventObserver:: collision detected for active vessel Seismic Barrage 1 Debris

It's not a huge issue currently, as I mainly needed it for contracts, although I now know that that's the other kinds, which I can do since updated Boris' patch, but it feels like a bug.

It might be tracking by the internal vessel ID thing

But wouldn't that mean that you can only have one seismic impactor per launch? Well, or require each impactor to have a probe core, which is a lot more expensive.

I can confirm that it checks if that vessel id # has already been used for the experiment:

config = PluginHelper.getPluginSaveFile();
if (config.HasNode(vessel_seismic_node_string)) {
science_node = config.GetNode(vessel_seismic_node_string);
science_experiment_number = science_node.nodes.Count;

if (science_node.HasNode(vessel_impact_node_string)) {
Debug.Log("[KSP Interstellar] Impactor: Ignored because this vessel's impact has already been recorded.");
return;
}
} else {
science_node = config.AddNode(vessel_seismic_node_string);
science_node.AddValue("name", "interstellarseismicarchive");
}

Ah, here's the problem:

- - - Updated - - -

Hm, or not:

Notice that you did get "Impact registered!" once for Seismic Barrage 1 Debris, milliseconds before the two "Ignored" entries. The name filtering is doing exactly what it's supposed to do: filtering out multiple events that are too close together to have any independent value.

If you get the on-screen "Impact recorded, data can now be accessed" message, then you have at least one valid impact.

I have seen a similar issue where I got a good impact but couldn't collect the data on the seismometer. As far as I can tell, the problem was that the internal ID of the vessel with the seismometer on it had changed between when I started monitoring and when I did the impact. (I put a probe core on the descent stage of each manned lander so I can use it as a seismic station. The original ID goes with the ascent stage.) Solution was to stop and restart monitoring after any configuration change on the lander that might affect its vessel ID.

Solution was to stop and restart monitoring after any configuration change on the lander that might affect its vessel ID.

What could affect the vessel ID? I haven't been changing anything on the lander. I start recording, switch straight to the barrage craft, launch the impactor, wait for it to hit the planet, and switch back to the lander.

Hey all,

I just wanted to make sure everybody reading this thread is aware there is a currently a KSP-Interstellar 0.90 port, maintained by Boris-Barboris:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/104943-0-90-KSP-Interstellar-port-maintance-thread

Also, myself and FreeThinker (he does the coding, I do the research) have been working on a KSP-Interstellar "Extension Config" to fix a few lingering bugs with the game, give players more settings they can configure in the mod's settings (the default settings remaining the same), and expand the In-Situ Resource Utilization system to allow the Atmospheric Scoop parts to also act as Propulsive Fluid Accumulators: by being able to work *just* outside the official edge of the atmosphere (so the scooping can occur in time-warp thanks to some code borrowed from Karbonite) to simulate scooping above the Karman Line in the Thermosphere (which is where Propulsive Fluid Accumulators are designed to work), and by allowing players to scoop Nitrogen and eventually Carbon Dioxide (the latter hasn't been implemented *yet*) as potential Thermal Rocket/ Plasma Thruster propellants (both N2 and CO2 have been validated as potential plasma thruster propellants in real life, and CO2 has been extensively studied for use in a small RTG-powered thermal rocket "hopper" exploration craft on Mars...)

Here is the link to the post presenting the latest version of the Extension Config:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/104943-0-90-KSP-Interstellar-port-maintance-thread?p=1703194&viewfull=1#post1703194

Regards,

Northstar

Edited by Northstar1989

Could someone explain to me why it is that we don't launch rockets with no oxidizer, using air scoops to supply the rocket engines? After reaching say 15k meters and 200 m/s flying horizontally until the oxidizer is topped off, then continuing on up to orbit? At a medium altitude, there ought to be enough airflow to dump the heat needed to chill the atmosphere to a liquid.