[0.25]KSP Interstellar (Magnetic Nozzles, ISRU Revamp) Version 0.13

Fractal_UK

Just wanted to say a quick thank you to those who rigged up the CTT to make it work between KSPI and various other mods (such as MRS) - I've had to restart for the 4th time, but the game runs very smoothly now, with good balance between effort, time, and parts unlocked.

/to paraphrase the Architect - This will be the fourth time we've destroyed Zio- err... rebuilt Kerbal Space Center and we have become increasingly efficient at it...

Sorry for the problems caused by my CTT config, but thanks to FreeThinker this is now fixed.

- - - Updated - - -

ok, every time I use this and its warp drive, my rockets blow up on the pad, just seconds after reaching the scene! (been a long time since last use because of this)

As I asked earlier. Do you have installed the 0.90 fix and patch for KSPI?

-Snip-

2. I'm under the impression that deadly reentry doesn't work with the KSPI parts, is that true? I just dropped a ship into Kerbin's atmosphere at 2000 m/s and it survived intact (until crashing). Are these parts indestructible to deadly reentry, or are they just way more resistant to heat than stock parts?

DRE works fine with KSPi.

EDIT: Had the wrong quote up there. Sorry Olympic

Edited by Atrius129

Hello

I am new in Interstellar mode. I read the first part of wiki and tried to build A long duration nuclear airplane as described in wiki with the stock Aeris3: https://github.com/FractalUK/KSPInterstellar/wiki/Long-duration-nuclear-airplanes

After the cockpit i put an atmospheric scoop, an generator, the Kiwi fission reactor and the thermal turbojet 1,25m plus 2 radiators.

On the runway, I activated the scoop, activated the generator, fission generator is active feeder with UF 4 and Thermal power on and what happened when I started the Thermal Turbojet

185658screenshot17.png

I activate engine

122612screenshot18.png

And pouff....Air deprived, Status is flame out, Scoop is not running any more

508161screenshot19.png

So What am I doing wrong???

Ha, that wasn't directed toward you (as a criticism). I've been using KSPI since I first got KSP back in 0.21 or something, full aware that trying to get a mod to work on a game in alpha is purely a buyer-beware matter. But through the various versions, mod releases, and changes to how tech trees are implemented, I've had to restarted my save game about four times due to irreconciable problems between the tech tree, mods, parts, etc. CTT was the best option, but until recently, it still did wonky things like make fusion reactors, etc. available way too early. Without CTT, other mods like Karbonite were avaiable at the equivalent of the Gemini program, which was too early for my tastes. Balance, today, seems perfect with my unique mod environment, and I'm looking forward to getting back into it after a long hiatus.

Although, with all this practice, my missions are getting way more cost-efficient. I can pretty much get to the KSP end-game in a few hours gameplay. I've maintained a STEAM screenshot folder showcasing the progression of my saves from the first pod to "today". (Hilariously, I keep having to restart shortly after I unlock Tier 1 Fission and get my arse to Duna. After that, some update inevitably breaks my save, and I have to start over. I've heard of fusion engines, and I talk about them - I have yet to use them. :P ).

I'm just glad people are still tweaking and coding - frankly, the guys at Squad are going to be hard pressed to outperform the community modders at this point.

Edited by Threadsinger
HTML FAIL

Ok I tried with stock air intakes and it works. Is there any bug on Kerbscoop atmospheric or radial scoop?

Scoops are designed to gather gaseous resources, not to act as intakes for air-breathing engines. B9 has some great options for larger intakes that look much better than stock.

Damn, im still on .25 with interstellar, it was so long ago i cant remember if i even did any patching and whatnot. Seems to be ok? Havnt tried anything crazy yet but totally love the idea of "beaming energy" and had loads of fun setting relays and having tested them they work!

havn't actually put it to any good use yet, sent a v... ve... the big half a million credits engine to the sun with a probe, that was nice but just mucking around.

Spent a rediculous amount longer looking at the loading screen, aswell as many (unrelated?) crashed, spent a stupid amount of time trying to understand the differnt reactors, fuels, engines, recources, etc etc . Still dont have a clue (i swear theres nothing wrong with me :E)

Was wondering myself weather to remove it but that relay beaming energy thing kept me,

and maybe slowly i'll get my head around the other "fun" crazyness and total lack of usefull introductions/what does what documentation. The wiki just blags my head.

But yea glad to see it working for .9! Hope it rolls through to v1

When does waste heat production become something I have to be concerned with?

I'm only four tiers into the tech tree and haven't yet used any Interstellar parts, however so far no vessel I've built has generated any waste heat at all. Or is it a non-issue until unlocking the first heat radiator parts in "Advanced Electrics"?

Also, why are tanks for Lithium, Uranium Tetraflouride, Thorium Tetraflouride and Nitrogen available in the "start" node since at that point there isn't anything that can use those materials? (not a complaint, just curious.)

When does waste heat production become something I have to be concerned with?

I'm only four tiers into the tech tree and haven't yet used any Interstellar parts, however so far no vessel I've built has generated any waste heat at all. Or is it a non-issue until unlocking the first heat radiator parts in "Advanced Electrics"?

All ships have a basic heat dissipation mechanic based on their mass (the heavier the ship, the more heat it can get rid of).

Almost every energy source generates WasteHeat - even solar panels do. But because they generate only small amounts, the mass-based dissipation can manage it.

If you bring up the thermal interface thing (pressing "T" key, or using toolbar) while you are constructing the ship, it should tell you whether you need radiators or not. (always check the interface when you play with reactors)

Very simply explained, if you use just the smallest solar panels (in reasonable numbers, like one panel per ton of mass), you should be alright with no radiators.

Once you start using bigger stuff, even those unfolding 1x6 or 2x3 solar panels, you usually need to get one of the small radial radiators – mostly on a tiny, but power-hungry probe, like Kethane scanner or such.

Also, why are tanks for Lithium, Uranium Tetraflouride, Thorium Tetraflouride and Nitrogen available in the "start" node since at that point there isn't anything that can use those materials? (not a complaint, just curious.)

Those are very common resources. The starting node is "the least bad" place for them, because there is no reason to limit their availability, even if you cannot "use" them immediatelly. You want to construct an orbital depot for later use or something? Sure, go ahead.

IIRC, Fractal_uk explained it on the water container. Even if it is just dead weight, why should you be unable to slap a can of water on the side of your ship?

All ships have a basic heat dissipation mechanic based on their mass (the heavier the ship, the more heat it can get rid of).

Almost every energy source generates WasteHeat - even solar panels do. But because they generate only small amounts, the mass-based dissipation can manage it.

Excellent post, and all true. Heat panels are just for bigger energy uses, such as XL solar panels for ion engines, or any of the reactor setups.

Even if you craft doesn't seem to discharge any heat without them (or obviously large parts), I encourage players to double check. I've had a few probes that did appear to warrant heat management shut down after time acceleration for a long journey inward (to Eve or Moho, for example). Even small numbers add up over time.

Heya guys,i cant seem to open my " waste heat management window" while in vab. I tried both "I" and "T" without any success .I'm using KSP 0.90

Can someone please help me with this issue?

Heya guys,i cant seem to open my " waste heat management window" while in vab. I tried both "I" and "T" without any success .I'm using KSP 0.90

Can someone please help me with this issue?

See if you have ToolBar installed (though I'm pretty sure it comes bundled in the KSPI.rar as "000_Toolbar" folder).

In the VAB you should see a bunch of colored squares >> N7aUivS.png on a grey-ish background with a small arrow next to them, or something simillar.

Click arrow > add new buttons > select the big red "T" (you may have to scroll down, depends on how many other mods you have which also can use toolbar)

It should look like this: qUNRhki.png If you then click the "T" on the toolbar it should bring up the interface

See if you have ToolBar installed (though I'm pretty sure it comes bundled in the KSPI.rar as "000_Toolbar" folder).

In the VAB you should see a bunch of colored squares >> http://i.imgur.com/N7aUivS.png on a grey-ish background with a small arrow next to them, or something simillar.

Click arrow > add new buttons > select the big red "T" (you may have to scroll down, depends on how many other mods you have which also can use toolbar)

It should look like this: http://i.imgur.com/qUNRhki.png If you then click the "T" on the toolbar it should bring up the interface

Ty for the reply,i did not have the "000_toolbar" folder up,had to download it,it's a separate mod (dunno if i'm allowed to share the link but if anyone wants to get it just google 000_toolbar" ).Anyways i did download it,and after i set up the button for the thermal helper it still did not work ,no thermal window pop up.Tried deleting the interstellar mod and re-installing it with the same results.

Had no issues when i was running KSP 0.25 with the window,but now...

If you bring up the thermal interface thing (pressing "T" key, or using toolbar) while you are constructing the ship, it should tell you whether you need radiators or not. (always check the interface when you play with reactors)

Very simply explained, if you use just the smallest solar panels (in reasonable numbers, like one panel per ton of mass), you should be alright with no radiators.

Once you start using bigger stuff, even those unfolding 1x6 or 2x3 solar panels, you usually need to get one of the small radial radiators – mostly on a tiny, but power-hungry probe, like Kethane scanner or such.

Those are very common resources. The starting node is "the least bad" place for them, because there is no reason to limit their availability, even if you cannot "use" them immediatelly. You want to construct an orbital depot for later use or something? Sure, go ahead.

IIRC, Fractal_uk explained it on the water container. Even if it is just dead weight, why should you be unable to slap a can of water on the side of your ship?

Thanks for that explanation, it made things much more clear. Right now I'm at a point where the OX Stat is the only solar I have and even though I spammed 64 of them on a few satellites they weren't generating any waste heat. I'll be getting the 1x6 foldouts soon and will be watching the heat numbers.

Wishing more Fractal would return. As the new version of the compatibility fork now requires tweakscale just is Lite did, unless and until Fractal does KSPI is essentially no longer updated for some (including me). It was a great mod that added a lot of content, and I hope it returns in the future. :)

Wishing more Fractal would return. As the new version of the compatibility fork now requires tweakscale just is Lite did, unless and until Fractal does KSPI is essentially no longer updated for some (including me). It was a great mod that added a lot of content, and I hope it returns in the future. :)

Well you are in luck, I'm continueing with Fractals Mod in KSP Interstellar Extended

Well you are in luck, I'm continueing with Fractals Mod in KSP Interstellar Extended

Your extended requires TweakScale. This is not in luck at all. TweakScale is why disliked the Lite version as I said and with it required in Extended it's also a no go. As I said, it was a great mod and hope it returns in the future.

Your extended requires TweakScale. This is not in luck at all. TweakScale is why disliked the Lite version as I said and with it required in Extended it's also a no go. As I said, it was a great mod and hope it returns in the future.

What is wrong with using tweakscale? Delete the configs that apply tweakscale to all of the other mods and only let it do it's thing with KSPI there won't be any issues, oh and just don't make a scaled part your root part

Hey, I'm having some troubles with the regular, not extended, version of the mod. I'm new to it and only read back a few pages, but it looks like nobody else is having this problem. When I launch the game the loading screen gets stuck on "WarpPlugin/Spaces/sci/model". I'm pretty sure it's from interstellar based off of the installation guide, and I have uninstalled and reinstalled twice now. I checked my memory usage, which was at 1.6 GB (I set max to 3), so it's not that. I think this may have been an installation issue, but cannot find the issue. Any help with this would be appreciated.