[0.25]KSP Interstellar (Magnetic Nozzles, ISRU Revamp) Version 0.13

Fractal_UK

Hi! This version has working VAB helpers? I have Fraktal's latest version and the VAB Thermal and Power helpers arent working/showing

Boris's version is working fine.

Edited by Atrius129

Somewhat KSPI beginner type questions....I've tried scouring teh Intarwebs, but it's not quite answered.

How can I get more than 0.02 kN of thrust out of the magnetic nozzles? I have it hooked to a 2.5m fusion reactor, does it not have enough power? Though I'd expect more than just a tiny, useless amount of thrust for even the power I have. They're supposed to get 675 kN of thrust? I'm trying to get efficient thrust for FTL stage given the large velocities that seem to end up at the end of the jumps.

Antimatter seems very slow to accumulate, at least for a ship that isn't in perpetual orbit around a body to power the collectors....I'm taking it the antimatter reactor is best only in these cases?

I know the Wiki is incomplete, but is there a tutorial for using all the parts? Or at least perhaps some craft files out there so I can see exactly what parts are being used how? The pics are helpful, but I can't always see exactly what the parts are.

Cheers,

-BS

I would suggest Vista engines for your ftl craft. Only need 2.5 gigs of power each and have great isp. 1100 thrust each, though be aware you cant activate the engines near other craft, it wil kill the kerbals on the other craft. Also suggest using gravity to get around the velocity you need to match your target. Warp near sun and let it pull you to a similar trajectory then warp to target.

Magnetic nozzles need charged particles, not just electricity. AIM Micro fusion might work but I haven't tried it.

The wiki has a lot but you really just have to do trial and error.

Antimatter can be mass collected around jool.

Have you tried setting up a Microwave power network? Works great with thermal rockets.

Has anyone got Mechjeb autopilot landing working with thermal jets? It mightbe my craft is underpowered, but currently mechjeb fails to hit enough power with them, but lands traditional (non-heat/electric) powered craft.

Haven't got it to work with thermal or plasma. You can let auto go till your horizontal velocity is about gone, then use Smart A.S.S.》surf》up - and do the final bit yourself. Or attach some normal engines and let mechjeb finish the landing with those.

I would suggest Vista engines for your ftl craft. Only need 2.5 gigs of power each and have great isp. 1100 thrust each, though be aware you cant activate the engines near other craft, it wil kill the kerbals on the other craft. Also suggest using gravity to get around the velocity you need to match your target. Warp near sun and let it pull you to a similar trajectory then warp to target.

Magnetic nozzles need charged particles, not just electricity. AIM Micro fusion might work but I haven't tried it.

Have you tried setting up a Microwave power network? Works great with thermal rockets.

Interesting idea about warping near the sun. I'm not quite sure what you mean by a similar trajectory, though. Similar to what?

Hmm....I had the nozzle hooked directly to a fusion reactor, one of the larger ones. It's certainly possible the charged particles aren't enough, I'd have to experiment a bit I suppose.

Haven't tried the microwave yet. Figured I'd get familiar with the other stuff. I'm assuming from what I've read the idea is to get some microwave power stations in orbit (around Kerbin?) then equip craft that venture further out receivers so they can use that power?

Thanks again,

-BS

PS, any sci-fi I ever do, will of cause require this type of manoeuvre if I add in warp drive/hyperspace. We may "jump" to another planet, but by darn, we do not want to be orbiting the local star retrograde when we do! :o

so im having a bit of trouble.

for some reason i cant get any antimatter. i have a collector station with 32 collectors on at 900km orbit of kirbin. my storage tanks are powered and set to charging and my collectors are saying they are producing 3.98 mg of antimatter per day and yet after 3 days i have zero antimatter. anyone tell me what ive done wrong? or is this a bug?

screenies of the station:

http://imgur.com/21yPjfY

http://imgur.com/WJ1LmQB

http://imgur.com/SLEF7Yk

Edited by sisyphean

so im having a bit of trouble.

for some reason i cant get any antimatter. i have a collector station with 32 collectors on at 900km orbit of kirbin. my storage tanks are powered and set to charging and my collectors are saying they are producing 3.98 mg of antimatter per day and yet after 3 days i have zero antimatter. anyone tell me what ive done wrong? or is this a bug?

screenies of the station:

http://imgur.com/21yPjfY

http://imgur.com/WJ1LmQB

http://imgur.com/SLEF7Yk

If I remember correctly, you need your collectors to be connected to containers, but I'm not 100% sure...

Works fine without direct connection as it's the same as RCS and ship wide for fuel.

Are you sure it's not just a tiny amount of antimatter across all the tanks? If you (quicksave first :wink: ) timewarp really fast, after a month do you have any antimatter?

In the past, AM used stack filling, and needed to be changed to AllVessel to be able to fill tanks in some situations. This is probably the case in this situation.

well im running the latest version (.90) and all the mods are up to date. i cant see any way to change it ingame. and if i needed to change something in the config then that would surely be a bug because its not working as intended.

this seems to be a problem only with this station on this file. i havnt got the patience to replicate that station in a creative world but ive done tests and launched several designs in sandbox with the collectors attached directly. indirectly and via docking ports and all of them produce and store antimatter.

one possibility springs to mind and thats this bug is caused by KJR and i cant replicate the bug because i have since launching the station updated KJR. if thats the case does anyone know how i can fix it?

edit: though i would point out that half the collector arms were deployed and attached after i updated KJR

Edited by sisyphean

I've been playing Interstellar for a while and I was wondering if there is a way to integrate radiators into a payload bay door. The recently retired NASA shuttles used a similar system to cool the shuttles and I was wondering if it is possible to do that with the payload bay doors in interstellar.

I've been playing Interstellar for a while and I was wondering if there is a way to integrate radiators into a payload bay door. The recently retired NASA shuttles used a similar system to cool the shuttles and I was wondering if it is possible to do that with the payload bay doors in interstellar.

There is already a MM config to add such capabilities to several of the cargo bays. I know B9 is included, but I'm not 100% sure if the new cargo bays are as well. Boris may also have fixed those in his version.

Hi, I just added the latest version of KSPI to a fresh install and need help with a couple of issues.

1. Some engines appear with their scales messed up (don't match with other parts and the attachment nodes are floating). Mainly the magnetic ones and the aluminum hybrid, that looks like a SRB. I'm using Mechjeb, DRE, RemoteTech2 and TAC Life Support. Is there a compatibility issue with any of those mods?

2. I'm under the impression that deadly reentry doesn't work with the KSPI parts, is that true? I just dropped a ship into Kerbin's atmosphere at 2000 m/s and it survived intact (until crashing). Are these parts indestructible to deadly reentry, or are they just way more resistant to heat than stock parts?

Hi, I just added the latest version of KSPI to a fresh install and need help with a couple of issues.

1. Some engines appear with their scales messed up (don't match with other parts and the attachment nodes are floating). Mainly the magnetic ones and the aluminum hybrid, that looks like a SRB. I'm using Mechjeb, DRE, RemoteTech2 and TAC Life Support. Is there a compatibility issue with any of those mods?

2. I'm under the impression that deadly reentry doesn't work with the KSPI parts, is that true? I just dropped a ship into Kerbin's atmosphere at 2000 m/s and it survived intact (until crashing). Are these parts indestructible to deadly reentry, or are they just way more resistant to heat than stock parts?

Do you have installed the 0.90 fix and patch for KSPI.

Just wanted to say a quick thank you to those who rigged up the CTT to make it work between KSPI and various other mods (such as MRS) - I've had to restart for the 4th time, but the game runs very smoothly now, with good balance between effort, time, and parts unlocked.

/to paraphrase the Architect - This will be the fourth time we've destroyed Zio- err... rebuilt Kerbal Space Center and we have become increasingly efficient at it...

Hi

Is there somewhere any scheme or illustration to see how all these engines are working?. I would like some help to build an aircraft able to fly over Kerbin with Interstellar Engines.....

Thank you