[0.25]KSP Interstellar (Magnetic Nozzles, ISRU Revamp) Version 0.13

Fractal_UK

i just download 0.13 interstellar on my 0.25 KSP,but when mousing over interstellar parts in the editor (VAB/SPH), they zoom to infinite size before disappearing, anyone know why i have this issue?

This is an issue with TweakScale. Try deleting your TS folder and see if it fixes it. That seems to be the general consensus

Also here's a post on a different thread regarding that same bug:http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/104943-0-90-KSP-Interstellar-port-maintance-thread/page17

I downloaded the most recent iteration of the Interstellar mod for the 0.90 beta from this forum but the game does not recognize the files and I do not see any of the tech tree options nor any of the related parts. I think it may be that I have the Near Future series of mods in the Gamedata directory already. Does this matter, or should I be able to have both series of mods in that directory with no problem? Anyone else facing a similar issue here? How did you guys get it to work with the new beta?

Edited by Funky Dare Devil

I downloaded the most recent iteration of the Interstellar mod for the 0.90 beta from this forum but the game does not recognize the files and I do not see any of the tech tree options nor any of the related parts. I think it may be that I have the Near Future series of mods in the Gamedata directory already. Does this matter, or should I be able to have both series of mods in that directory with no problem? Anyone else facing a similar issue here? How did you guys get it to work with the new beta?

KSPi maintenance thread here. Be sure to delete the files previously installed for this mod.

Fixed Magnetic nozzle and Aluminium Hybrid node definitions and rescaled them to appropriate size. They should fit on your ships perfectly now. Download

- - - Updated - - -

As for the magnetic nozzle, they will only work if you provide it with the following:

1. Electrical Generator

2. Fusion/Antimatter Initiated reactor only as they provide charged particles.

3. Radiator for the electrical Generator to work.

4. Materials for the reactors to work. Some of the materials have to be collected, for example Helium3, antimatter as well as tritium which only can be brought in very small quantity. For test purposes, I edited the config to get these materials.

5. Fuel.

6. Go to space.

In Space, I managed to get a thrust of over 600KN with antimatter initiated reacted for a 3.75m magnetic nozzle and specific impulse of about 12000. Although I tested that choosing to use smaller magnetic nozzles like a 2.5m or 1.25m or using fusion reactors reduces the thrust but is probably still useful.

Has anyone retrofitted a large fusion reactor? I have a few that were deployed before I had the upgrade available. The retrofit button is there, but I don't see a science needed on the right click menu, and clicking the retrofit button doesn't have an effect. Looking at the cfg it looks like the values for upgrade retrofit are there.

Thanks!

Has anyone retrofitted a large fusion reactor? I have a few that were deployed before I had the upgrade available. The retrofit button is there, but I don't see a science needed on the right click menu, and clicking the retrofit button doesn't have an effect. Looking at the cfg it looks like the values for upgrade retrofit are there.

Thanks!

I have noticed that none of the reactors retrofit properly - the button is there, but clicking it removes the appropriate amount of science, but nothing else happens.

I have noticed that none of the reactors retrofit properly - the button is there, but clicking it removes the appropriate amount of science, but nothing else happens.

Ok thanks for the reply. Wasn't sure if I needed to have a Kerbal do it manually or something - or turn it off and let it cool down.

Wee little necropost:

Remember that hack of the magneticnozzle I did a while back to make a cool antimatter torch drive? Yeah, all those revisions and the math is still wrong. Don't bother with it; it uses orders of magnitude too little antimatter for its thrust power.

If you want to join me in messing around with brachistochrone trajectories, you want this instead:

{
name = BeamCoreAntimatterRocket
module = Part
author = Fractal

MODEL
{
model = WarpPlugin/Parts/Engines/MagneticNozzle/MagneticNozzle
rotation = 0,0,180
scale = 2.462,2.757,2.462
}

node_stack_top = 0.0, 1.505, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 2
node_stack_bottom = 0.0, -0.93, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 2

fx_exhaustFlame_blue = 0.0, -0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, running
fx_exhaustLight_blue = 0.0, -0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, running
fx_exhaustSparks_flameout = 0.0, -0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, flameout

TechRequired = ionPropulsion
entryCost = 14000
cost = 78000
category = Propulsion
subcategory = 0
title = Plasma-Core Antimatter Rocket
manufacturer = Zefram Kerman's Warp Supplies Co.
description = By annihilating the antimatter and propellant directly inside the nozzle, the plasma-core antimatter rocket achieves far greater thrusts and specfic impulses than nearly any other propulsion system available.
attachRules = 1,0,1,1,0

// --- standard part parameters ---
mass = 16
dragModelType = default
maximum_drag = 0.2
minimum_drag = 0.2
angularDrag = 2
crashTolerance = 7
breakingForce = 200
breakingTorque = 200
maxTemp = 3600

// --- FX definitions ---

fx_exhaustFlame_blue = 0.0, -0.74338, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, running
fx_exhaustLight_blue = 0.0, -0.74338, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, running
fx_smokeTrail_light = 0.0, -0.74338, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, running
fx_exhaustSparks_flameout = 0.0, -0.74338, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, flameout

// --- Sound FX definition ---

sound_vent_medium = engage
sound_rocket_hard = running
sound_vent_soft = disengage
sound_explosion_low = flameout

MODULE
{
name = ModuleEngines
engineID = ClosedCycle
runningEffectName = running_closed
thrustVectorTransformName = thrustTransform
exhaustDamage = True
ignitionThreshold = 0.1
minThrust = 0
maxThrust = 2250
heatProduction = 350
fxOffset = 0, 0, -0.1
PROPELLANT
{
name = LiquidFuel
ratio = 1.46875
DrawGauge = True
}
PROPELLANT
{
name = Antimatter
ratio = 22.25
}
PROPELLANT
{
name = Megajoules
ratio = 5000
}
atmosphereCurve
{
key = 0 56000
key = 1 52000
}

}

{
name = ModuleGimbal
gimbalTransformName = thrustTransform
gimbalRange = 1
}

MODULE
{
name = ModuleAlternator
RESOURCE
{
name = WasteHeat
rate = 50000.0
}
}

}
PART

(You'll want to paste this into a text file, name it something like "part4.cfg" and drop it into your GameData/WarpPlugin/Parts/Engine/MagneticNozzle directory in order for it to find the mesh/texture and stuff properly.)

This one now has Uber Mega Correct 2.0 Physics! Features:

-Accurate antimatter consumption (about 2 terawatts worth at full power)

-Reduced thrust, keeping your TWR closer to about 1 in most cases and power schemes

-Reduced efficiency, down from 100% to <50% (probably about right for a plasma-core antimatter rocket running in this gear)

-Thrust vectoring, because every respectable engine needs a gimbal.

Due to the ambiguous nature of how big a unit of "wasteheat" is, I have no idea if the wasteheat production I gave the thing is remotely accurate. We'll pretend most of the >50% of the input power (over a terawatt) of energy being lost as heat is escaping away from the ship in the magnetic exhaust plume. Meantime, you'll need a little more radiator than the VAB thermal helper will have you believe if you plan on running this thing constantly. I usually just stick an extra couple sets of six normal-sized upgraded radiators on the back of my torchships in addition to the main huge-sized ones, and I never have an overheat. You're welcome to experiment, though, I don't really know what the limit is because wasteheat is weird.

I made this back when magnetic nozzle models were weirdly borked in size and shape, and it appears that my estimates at numbers for a rescaling fix gave me an engine that looks just a little bit longer than the magnetic nozzles. You may see this as a plus, since it lets you tell it apart from the magnetic nozzles, or you might be irritated by it. In the latter case, you can mess with those numbers till you like them, or you can come yell at me until I fix it. Either one is a totally viable option.

Eventually, I do want to make my own model for this thing, since the magnetic nozzle model is already in use for something totally different (namely magnetic nozzles) and an engine like this should probably have some nice big superconducting hoops and tungsten blade shields and stuff. That's going to take more time than I have these days, though (what with being a university student and all that) so I'm afraid I can't give a good timeframe on that. I also notably have never made a good model before, and won't be releasing anything for this until I'm happy with it, so that will also delay its release. Don't hold your breath, or make any assumptions that some other, brighter, and better modder won't make something incredibly superior to this that fills in the torch drive niche before I do.

Anyway, assuming anyone actually uses this or bothered to read all that, good luck! Also have fun.

Edited by GreeningGalaxy

Does anyone have a CTT config which would work well with RoverDude's Karbonite/MKS OKS mods? I pulled a CTT config for KSPI from someone's signature (it's been awhile, I forgot who :( ), but it's not quite working right - I haven't unlocked fusion reactors yet, although I have access to them (and AP reactors) in the VAB.

Also, GreeningGalaxy, I look forward to seeing your torch drive! Once I figure out how to get all the cool tech mods to play nice, I'll give it a try!

Does anyone have a CTT config which would work well with RoverDude's Karbonite/MKS OKS mods? I pulled a CTT config for KSPI from someone's signature (it's been awhile, I forgot who :( ), but it's not quite working right - I haven't unlocked fusion reactors yet, although I have access to them (and AP reactors) in the VAB.

Also, GreeningGalaxy, I look forward to seeing your torch drive! Once I figure out how to get all the cool tech mods to play nice, I'll give it a try!

I can make a CTT config, let me work on it.

For so long I have been wanting Interstellar to be made compatible with MKS/OKS and the community resource/tech tree.

It will take some time, because there are 57 tech nodes from KSPI that I want close as possible to the CTT nodes. Then I need to appoint ~100 parts to the nodes.

I can make a CTT config, let me work on it.

You sir are awesome. I would do it, but I don't have the faintest idea how. The one thing I liked about CTT was that it pushed Karbonite extraction much higher up the tech tree, so I couldn't exploit it for the first mun landings. (I also liked how it spread out the stock-a-like station parts too.) The big appeal for me for interstellar is the slow climb from basic engines to warp drives, and I'd like for all the popular sci fi mods to play nice in that regard. Then again, it's still in beta, and this mod hasn't seen any serious updates in awhile. Because it's a hobby and all, not a paid career.

Thanks so much for tackling this! (And to all others who tweak this to keep it alive!)

- - - Updated - - -

Is Ferram recommended or incompatible with this mod?

Compatible, although for obvious reasons be wary of firing up your fusion/AP turbojets at full power in low atmo. You'll break apart. :D

I am having trouble using the microwave power and receiver system. I launched a power plant esque thing with two of those giant power beamers into orbit, and I launched a probe with two receivers, but now power is transporting between the two.

I am having trouble using the microwave power and receiver system. I launched a power plant esque thing with two of those giant power beamers into orbit, and I launched a probe with two receivers, but now power is transporting between the two.

What version of Interstellar and what version of KSP?

How is the orbiting power plant generating power? Does it have Megajoules locally?

Are the transmitters set to transmit? There are separate modes to transmit power generated on board and relay power coming in from elsewhere, so they don't do anything until you manually activate one of the modes.

Do the receivers have line of sight and are they pointed at the transmitter? Unlike most things, Interstellar receivers do take orientation into account?

What type of receivers are you using? If you're receiving as ThermalPower when you were expecting Megajoules or vice versa, it won't work.

What version of Interstellar and what version of KSP?

How is the orbiting power plant generating power? Does it have Megajoules locally?

Are the transmitters set to transmit? There are separate modes to transmit power generated on board and relay power coming in from elsewhere, so they don't do anything until you manually activate one of the modes.

Do the receivers have line of sight and are they pointed at the transmitter? Unlike most things, Interstellar receivers do take orientation into account?

What type of receivers are you using? If you're receiving as ThermalPower when you were expecting Megajoules or vice versa, it won't work.

This is something I would prefer be removed from a future version, if Fractal would be willing. Line of sight is fine, but having to ensure it's actually pointed at the target is too much micromanagement for my tastes.

(Perhaps someone could implement a similar system to RemoteTech, where you need to manually ''lock'' the transmitter to a receiver, and physical orientation doesn't matter?)

You only need one transmitter on your power/relay satellites, orientation of transmitter does not matter. As for the receivers, I use the US Robotics mod to put them on hinges so they can be rotated in order to maximize reception power.

My last big power network(.25), I had 3 kerbin geosync relays, 2 more in kerbin's orbit, 120 degrees leading/trailing, and 4 around kerbol inside moho's orbit. The primary power generation came from an AM farm orbiting Jool, with 3 relays in a polar orbit to keep from getting eclipsed by a moon during a burn. Also had a generator on kerbin just for launching, though it didn't get used much, as my base on minimus didn't need it. Would have been a nightmare without EL\karbonite though, I couldn't imagine launching all that hardware from kerbins surface.

Tighter integration with MKS/OKS would be great, though I think those have shifted over to the regolith\CRP and away from ORS, which is what KSPI uses. It always irritated me that there was both water and liquid water, but they weren't the same or cross compatible.

Ok so I installed the mod as per the instructions, play through career mode, get my first communications sat into space just to notice the mod isn't working. I was able to go all the way around the planet without interruptions.. Any idea how to fix this type of problem. I was hoping to set up a comms array but seeing as its not working I'm at a loss.

Ok so I installed the mod as per the instructions, play through career mode, get my first communications sat into space just to notice the mod isn't working. I was able to go all the way around the planet without interruptions.. Any idea how to fix this type of problem. I was hoping to set up a comms array but seeing as its not working I'm at a loss.

How is it not working? Are you also playing with remote tech?

This version of KSP isn't up to date. Install Boris's release. Be sure to delete all previous KSPi folders first.

For so long I have been wanting Interstellar to be made compatible with MKS/OKS and the community resource/tech tree.
You sir are awesome. I would do it, but I don't have the faintest idea how. The one thing I liked about CTT was that it pushed Karbonite extraction much higher up the tech tree, so I couldn't exploit it for the first mun landings. (I also liked how it spread out the stock-a-like station parts too.) The big appeal for me for interstellar is the slow climb from basic engines to warp drives, and I'd like for all the popular sci fi mods to play nice in that regard. Then again, it's still in beta, and this mod hasn't seen any serious updates in awhile. Because it's a hobby and all, not a paid career.

Thanks so much for tackling this! (And to all others who tweak this to keep it alive!)

Sorry for the delay on the CTT support but school comes first.

It's all done now, the only thing left is to test it.

Sorry for the delay on the CTT support but school comes first.

It's all done now, the only thing left is to test it.

Here is the CTT config you're all be waiting for. I tested it and it plays nicely with MKS/OKS, Karbonite, ...

It is spread over the whole tech tree, starting fom tier 5.

If you have any suggestions for changing a parts node, please let me know via PM or via the KSPI thread.

Download

404!

We can't find what you're looking for!

heavierRocketry

name = 25PureLiquidTank

advElectrics

name = circradiatorKT

name = circradiatorKT2

name = circradiatorKT3

name = SmallFlatRadiator

name = LargeFlatRadiator

name = RadialRadiatorzzz