[0.24.2] TiberDyne Aerospace R&D Division - Shuttle System 3.6 Career Update!

Tiberion

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
I don't know if anyone's already said this or not, but I thought I should bring an issue to your attention. The cargo bay models are not scaled correctly, and the nodes appear to have been misplaced. Other than that, awesome mod!

i just have same problem!

ok. but i can't understand,why when i load pre builded ship downloaded from this topic he has a all in normal size,but only CargoBay is smaller...

- - - Updated - - -

this is Odyssey from original zip archive : Untitled-1.jpg

at first i download installer,but wasn't find a shuttle . then i download KSOS_v409HF_PACK_2 and unpack as usual . and as you can see - shuttle from downloaded library is wrong . i try to change numbers in part.cfg file and in a hangar cargo bay (one of them) is normal size,but in a lunch pad he is again is small .

Untitled-11.jpg

here it's now ......

Yeah I have it fixed here in my dev version, I just haven't had any time to finish up a release, it's been a busy time for me again (away from KSP)

I'll get a release out soon I hope just to get it working for 0.90. I really don't know what will have to happen after 1.0 comes out, there may be tons of work to do.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Not sure how its going to work, the wings and the cargo bay will need some big updates for 1.0, as well as setting up reasonable body-lift for the fuselage. And that is before a complete re-balance of engines and fuel tanks as well.

I want to get it done, but I'll have to see if its easier to do something else shuttle-wise

• 3 weeks later...
Not sure how its going to work, the wings and the cargo bay will need some big updates for 1.0, as well as setting up reasonable body-lift for the fuselage. And that is before a complete re-balance of engines and fuel tanks as well.

I want to get it done, but I'll have to see if its easier to do something else shuttle-wise

It would be incredible to see these parts updates. It seems like there is alot of infrastructure already in game to make an ok shuttle Fuselage, Cargo bays, etc. So wings, engines, some cargobay stuff, docking port, and engine rebalance. Because of all the in game parts you could make your life easier by using what squad has made and then fixing, tweaking, and making some new parts for the shuttles. The engines, tanks, and boosters would be incredible to have. I love the soviet and american style boosters you made that have a stockalike flare.

Edit: I must write my obligatory, I am not a modder statement. I am strictly a consumer and I am just offering a possible solution knowing full well that its not easy. I am just a fan who would like to see these parts back.

Yeah I am working on it; back when the new mk3 parts came out I messed around with the idea of using them to make a new shuttle to go with the launcher parts. Might still do that.

I have a lot of the game updates done, I really have the major things to tackle:

Bodylift for the old fuselage parts

New aero settings for the wingy bits

Cargo-bay occlusion such that its an actual cargo bay

So, we'll see how that goes.

So, good news...

Just took Intrepid on a 20 minute flight around KSC and it flew very nicely. The drag and lift conversion seems to have worked out; those engines and intakes are basically turbojet and the ramair intakes, and its enough to get it hypersonic. Definitely will take some engine balancing, but the airframe itself seems pretty nice; it doesn't even have the super-glide trouble since it doesn't use wingspam.

2VhLZRj.jpg

So if I can get the cargobay working, I'll have solved all the technical challenges (I think)

Looks great. Is there any chance for a resize to 5m lifter parts? This would give them a much better scale, also for use with the stock shuttle parts. To avoid the parts being way too powerful for lifting shuttles, there could be a config with lqdHydrogen, like in Nerteas CryoEngines mod. That would be really cool. If you're not up to it, I might just give it a go myself when you release the updated pack.

never used cryoEngines, is the custom fuel setup to be less dense or something?

I'm not sure I'd like the core stages to be 5m, it makes them harder to use as standalone launchers (the current 3.75m to 2.5m adapter wouldn't work. Something to examine anyway though. Right now I'm just working to get it ready to play as-is.

Alright, time for a test release.

I made some adjusrtments to Isp and thrust levels for the launcher stuff, tweaked the wings some more and got a decent balance dialed in I think. You have to be pretty easy on the controls, if you get the nose too far from vertical below 20k or so it will not end well for you, so make your gravity turn s-l-o-w-l-y. Also the jet engines on the Intrepid are still too powerful and can get you a space-side Apoapsis going full burn after cruising at 22k or so, but I'll let you guys fly it a bit and give me some feedback how you think it should work. None of it is finalized by any means but it should all be functional. It's been months since the last update though, so report any bugs.

All textures are converted to DDS. I removed the "cloned" decouplers and docking ports that where in the structures folder since they're no longer needed (you can hold down ALT to turn off surface-attaching to put decouplers in the cargobay and use tweakables for the rest. I also removed the tiny nubbin canard part since you don't need them anymore (YAY!) and added it back into the actual wing model as a leading edge.

Obviously any old saves or crafts you had are likely broken now.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/46506740/TiberDyneShuttleFor_1_0_2_Test1.zip

Commence the bughunt :)

never used cryoEngines, is the custom fuel setup to be less dense or something?

I'm not sure I'd like the core stages to be 5m, it makes them harder to use as standalone launchers (the current 3.75m to 2.5m adapter wouldn't work. Something to examine anyway though. Right now I'm just working to get it ready to play as-is.

CryoEngines uses lqdHydrogen, which is much less dense than liquidFuel. I'll try the test release later, as I don't have time right now.

So, been pretty quiet in here. I assume its because not many have tried it out, rather than because its perfectly bug free...

Could use some feedback on playability, either general or specific.

I have downloaded it but i haven't tested them in actual flight, plus i'm in for the Jupiter parts, so i won't be testing all parts, however, from the VAB perspective, the Jupiter tanks, SRB and engines work, i even added tweakscale module for them and it worked so far, but again, i didn't bring it for an actual flight test yet...

So, been pretty quiet in here. I assume its because not many have tried it out, rather than because its perfectly bug free...

Could use some feedback on playability, either general or specific.

Huh, never noticed that test update...

Made a test flight with Odyssey-Jupiter (I've used the craft file) with 25-ton NRAP in its cargo bay.

First, it's overpowered - TWR 2.15 on the launch pad. Tweaked both SSMEs and boosters to 75%.

Second, and it's the most funny thing - it flies very well with Mechjeb (1.4km gravity turn start, 50% profile). The only thing here is that you need to place the shuttle in such way that it makes the turn belly-up. Otherwise, it would end bad - both with manual and MJ's roll. Also, DO NOT decouple spent boosters until the shuttle stabilizes. And disable pitch and roll action for the tail (and yaw for the elevons). Engage RCS when circularizing or doing orbital maneuvers to provide better control.

The Odyssey can be tricky to land - it does not glide very well, and you have to be careful during your re-entry and final approach (Intrepid is obviously easier, as it have jet engines). It would be a good idea to have some monoprop for OMS, just in case of emergency.

Bugs:

- Two "Open\Close Bay doors" buttons in the cargo bays options

- Brakes are super-effective - I came from 50 m\s to a full stop in less than Odyssey's length

wow, 75% was still enough even with 25tons of payload. Nerf time indeed.

I've been able to roll both shuttles very soon after liftoff over to heading 90; is it wobbly like it needs struts or flipping out?

Thanks for the testing, solid stuff to work on now :)

wow, 75% was still enough even with 25tons of payload. Nerf time indeed.

I've been able to roll both shuttles very soon after liftoff over to heading 90; is it wobbly like it needs struts or flipping out?

Thanks for the testing, solid stuff to work on now :)

It's flipping out - MJ tries to correct it, swings engines like some schoolbells, and eventually lose control. I think it's a MJ thing.

• 2 weeks later...

There's really not much balancing to do until we get our hands on the 1.0.3 patch. I've been slowly working on some other stuff, but nothing to show yet.

There is still a test release out that is compatible with 1.0.2 and works pretty good, you can certainly grab that and leave general feedback on it. link is back a page or two in the thread.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.