I know Kerbals respawn... but....

StevoP80

I am curious how many other people do something similar to what I do with Jeb, Bill and Bob to ensure that I don't accidentally kill them in some hair-brained scheme Jeb whispered in my ear. On a new save the first thing I do is make a space station and then put Jeb, Bill and Bob on it for safe keeping.

Anyone else go out of their way to keep them safe?

That happend once when i was attempting to land on Mun but i ran out of fuel it was on .20 Jebediah died on that failed descent, 9 game hours later on my next redesigned lander Jebediah was there.......... .....He was not dead he just had hit his head againist the Munar ground and bounced back to kerbin in a traject of 9 creepy hours!....... Or atleast thats our theory.... Anyway its scary when it happends after that i decided to put him on a uncomplete (and abandoned) Space station se he can come back and try to kill himself on a weird rocket. Bill and Bob were sent to Mun surface whit no possibility to come Back.

But now I treat them better (Except Jebediah, he still lives in a space station whit no use anymore) I also rescued Bill from mun weeks ago But i actually prefer sending other Kerbals to do dangerous missions (To be exactly ¡DIE!).

Edited by Zaryulenko

I killed Bill in a horrible mountain climbing incident. I turned off respawn so it is just Bob and Jeb.

You can toggle respawn?

I used to strand them on the Mun, but now I'm just careful when they crew the flight. I almost killed Jeb today in a plane crash, but fortunately, I reverted the flight. I used to pretend that they went to a hospital somewhere on Kebin to heal their injuries.

When 0.21 came out, I immediately put them in a box by the launch pad. Once I built a space station, they were transferred there and they will stay there until I finish my Ike base.

Well, I've disabled respawn because I like my mistakes to be permanent, as for killing them... Well that actually never happens because I build my ships with so many contingency plans that even if there is a horrific crash everyone is usually safe. (I actually spent 5 hours fitting and testing the Mk1 and Mk1-2 Command Pods with emergency escape and flight systems to the point that my Mk1-2 escape pod can survive an impact of 150m/s!)

It's nice to see I'm not the only paranoid/sentimental one around here :D

People mentioning keeping their beloved Kerbals close to home inspired me to do something a bit more creative.

It would seem as if Jeb has taken up a part time job as teacher/mentor for the young recruits at the recruitment center. I managed to capture these photos of him while he was giving a lecture at an outdoor learning facility. Check it out.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

I spent my first few hours of KSP just crashing hare-brained rockets into Kerbin over and over. At this point I have concluded that Jeb is in fact the Kerbin Highlander.

He is Connor McKerman!

And we need Scott Manley to say that in a video!

I NEVER let Jeb, Bill, or Bob fly anything. Except recently I let Jeb fly my experimental destroyer, which was hyperedited into orbit. It only weighs 30 tons, but I'm too lazy too to build a launch system for naval craft, becuase the for some reason all my weapon carrying rockets tip over at 1000 meters.

Run CheckWeapons
If CheckWeapons Returns "true" then
while VesselAltitude > 1000 and < 1500
force.apply.pitch.back
Else
EndIf

I go to extra lengths to give them special treatment, but they're on the duty roster first whenever they're available.

Just recently, I stranded Jeb and Bob in the mountains west of the KSC because I undershot my landing. But they lived, so I consider that a total success.

I may have respawn turned on, but that doesn't mean I go around killing kerbals left and right.

Zero kerbals lost between 0.19 and 0.20. I love my little kerbals!

They're always first in line for me for any 'space exploration' missions. Jebediah and Bob were the first i landed on the Mun when i played the Demo, and they were the first to step on Minmus as well. Bill was stuck on the Lunar Bob space station at the time. It was the first craft i launched, and i never actually got a ship up there to recover him for exploratory missions. I'd grown rather fond of Seelorf by the time .21 dropped.

I do care about them, and try to keep them safe as much as possible, but i'd never just stick the three of them them on some space station and let them be bored all day there just so they'd be safe.

Bill has died twice recently. One accident on Eve, and another testing the space flying boat for a return trip.

Jeb is stranded on Eve. I tried dropping a house for him, but I missed. It's going to take a few attempts to get one to him.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.