What do you think qualifies as a base?

SuperWeegee4000

What qualifies as a base?  

1. 1. What qualifies as a base?

• One or more modules in close proximity
    • Multiple modules in close proximity
    • Multiple connected modules
    • Other (post below)

Multiple modules would count in my opinion, although one thing that does annoy me about this is when people post pictures of "bases" and the living area for the Kerbals are either command pods or the cupola module..

Connected structures that can sustain life (energy, communications, any other future life support addition) and that allows movement between sections without having to put a spacesuit every time you want to change rooms.

step it up.

Multiple modules would count in my opinion, although one thing that does annoy me about this is when people post pictures of "bases" and the living area for the Kerbals are either command pods or the cupola module..

I second this. In my opinion, a proper base should have at least one crew tank unless it's intended to be robotic. :P

Edit: Oops, I think I just contradicted my previous post. Rats.

Edited by Felsmak

What's wrong with the cupola? It's really roomy, and has cupboards for storage. Besides, it's not really fair if the only stock option for a living module is the Hitchhiker.

As for the thread, one or more modules that can house one or more Kerbals that is more or less permanent.

When you get right down to it, a base is anything you leave on the surface permanently that Kerbals can stay inside. My own personal standard is to include some sort of permanent living space (a crew cabin with stock parts), power generation, communications, lights, life support, and so forth. But I like to challenge myself like that.

so i can call base my unmanned rover? :D

If that's what you feel qualifies as a base. I wouldn't call it a base, but then I use certain mods and don't use other mods, so some people would say I'm playing the game "wrong".

Sounds to me like it could be a mobile base for robotic explorers.

A base is whatever you want it to be! But my personal classification for a base is multiple connected modules on the surface of a celestial body, normally constructed with great pain( my new goal is to construct without docking ports).

If that's what you feel qualifies as a base. I wouldn't call it a base, but then I use certain mods and don't use other mods, so some people would say I'm playing the game "wrong".

Sounds to me like it could be a mobile base for robotic explorers.

no, that comment was some sort of provocation, of course i wouldn't call it a base :)

Even one ship counts if its big enough. For example my instant Mun base has Hitch-hiker module lander can and command pod and it houses 3 kerbals also it comes with a rover for easy exploration. When designing bases i use a simple rule for permanent habitation that 1 hitch-hiker supports 2 kerbals.

To me to qualify a base must have habitat space, approx. the equivilent of one Hitchhiker per 2 Kerbals, and enough life support facility to go 1 Kerbin year without resupply.

If it meet the first but not the second it's a station. And I no longer build anything that meets the later without meeting the former, becuase I don't wanna stuff Kerbals into a pod that long. They have feelings too.

I would say: a structure or group of structures that can (with resupply if necessary) maintain a crew of kerbals for an indefinite period, who can carry out scientific or other productive activity in or around the base. In places where the planetary surface is not habitable without a spacesuit (i.e. every place except Kerbin and possibly Laythe), modules should be connected directly or there must be a rover which can ferry crew between structures without depressurizing.

The structures need not be in close proximity if adequate transport is available. It's perfectly legitimate to have habitation modules in one place and a laboratory a few kilometers away (helps with lag!), so long as a rover is present to shuttle crew between the two places.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.