upgrading from demo

Mr.Rocket

I don't know where you heard that, adding mods to the steam version is exactly the same as adding mods to the non-steam version, it's just a different directory.

To find the directory of KSP on Steam you just right-click KSP in the steam Library, click Properties, Local Files and Browse Local Files. From there on you just follow the instructions (usually dropping things into the GameData folder) to add a mod.

The steam version is exactly the same as the store version. The steam version just gets you automatic downloads. I would recommend going with the steam version. There is no DRM attached either so you can play the game without turning steam on by going directly to the exe the same way you would with the store version and you can copy your entire game and move it to another folder for a back up. There really isn't any reason to not use steam. Unless you are just a very specific kind of luddite or a contrarian.

I have it on steam myself, and have 2 mods: MechJeb and Romfarers Lazor Docking Camera. They were easy to install honestly. All you really need to do is find said mods <of your choosing, not necessary to be the 2 I listed, but could be :) > and follow the instructions on the Kerbalspaceport.com site or in the mod showcase forum thread :)

If you don't like all the Steam cruft running in the background just create a shortcut directly to the exe file in the install directory and run the game from it. You can also setup a fixed window for KSP from that shortcut; well worth doing in any case. I like Steam for the quick updates, not so much for it telling everyone I am playing KSP.

Or maybe, juuust maybe, you don't want to bother with Steam when you can get KSP straight from the source?

Considering that the KSP website is notoriously unstable every time there's an update, and you don't actually need steam for anything other than downloading the game and getting the latest update every other blue moon, I don't see why you wouldn't get it on steam.

I'm sort of riding in Mr.Rocket's boat..... I was wondering, is ksp still in the same sort of directory, like with the KSP.exe, parts folder, saves, etc. on the steam version? hmmm...

Non-Steam Directory: <pathname>\Kerbal Space Program*

Steam Directory: C:\Program Files\Steam\Steamapps\Common\Kerbal Space Program**

After that, it's all the same. The KSP folder can be opened up from the tile view in Steam Library by right clicking on the icon, selecting properties, then LOCAL FILES then BROWSE LOCAL FILES instead if you want to, but that requires Steam to be running.

-----

*Basically it's wherever you put it

**Can also be D:\ and Program Files is Program Files (x86) on 64-bit machines

Something else that should be mentioned is that Steam lets you decide where to install your games now, so you can just tell steam to install it where ever you usually put your games.

Hence the D:\ in **. Does it allow you to put them ANYWHERE now? I only ever knew of the change in drives.

I bought it from the KSP store because more money would go to Squad. I wanted to support the developpers of this game :-)

Thats valid. I'll edit my statement. There is no TECHNICAL reason to not use the steam version. If you want to ensure that as much money as possible goes to the devs then sticking with the store would be the way to go.

There really isn't any reason to not use steam. Unless you are just a very specific kind of luddite or a contrarian.

If I wanted a Facebook account, I'd get a Facebook account.

If I wanted a Google Plus account, I'd get a Google Plus account.

If I wanted the Ask toolbar, I'd get the Ask Toolbar.

If I wanted Aureate adware, I'd specifically ask for and download Aureate adware.

If I wanted Steam, I'd go out and get Steam.

As I want none of the above, as all of the above like to use any method possible to infect your machine or "upgrade" your account, and as their most vocal supporters seem to insult anybody else with comments such as 'luddite', I will have none of them. That's before you get into the complete non-advantage that is Steamworks.

Luddite. Really now. BSc(hons) in Computer Games Technology of all subjects, and I'm a luddite. Well, fine.

There's no need to escalate this into a heated discussion, technicalfool. Everyone is entitled to their own beliefs and opinions. I am of the opinion that you should always be free to choose what you wish to do. And with KSP, you have that option since you can get it from the store or on Steam. Your reasons are your own, but no matter what they may be, the option is there. And that's what matters.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.