Who Has Made it to Eeloo without Cheating?

had you made the bottom part of the center tank dropable you would save fuel. Even better drop two of the nuclear engines and side tanks before Eeloo circulate, you would need parachutes to land anyway.

I saw this thread, spent 5 minutes making a rocket and went to Eeloo just for the sake of proving to myself that I could actually get there. Efficiency wasn't important and returning didn't matter either; it gets Bill and Bob out of the way so I don't kill them :D

Parachutes would be required to return to Kerbin's surface, but getting into orbit would require only very slightly more dV and it's easy enough to rescue Kerbals from any point in Kerbin's orbit.

I was talking about Kerbin return, dropping two of the LV-N would save a lot of weight. same with dividing up and dropping more of the center tank.

If you're talking about saving weight, why would you bother with parachutes (and decouplers)? Send a capsule up to rendezvous and retrieve your Kerbalnauts once they've returned from Eeloo. Better still, have your orbital taxi take them to your space station and bring them down on the next planned trip.

I made it with a ship that I built via docking.

Here is the landed ship on eeloo:

95VX3cD.png

The entire ship (including the missing stages that you cannot see because they have been spent) was constructed in Kerbin's SOI via docking.

This is an image of the first two stages:

kG35Gqj.jpg

Durrick Kerman was easily able to make it back to Kerbin.

No mods were used at all.

My favorite planet, maybe because it's so remote.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Also: Challenge thread here which you may be interested in

edit:

I was talking about Kerbin return, dropping two of the LV-N would save a lot of weight. same with dividing up and dropping more of the center tank.

I would use three 720 liter tanks, first is dropped during burn, second would hold landing legs for easier landing but would be empty at landing so dropped at takeoff.

Dropping two of the LV-N and side tanks would save close to three ton but make it impossible to the ship with so you only drop everything from the pod and do an pod with shutes landing.

A man after my own heart. See sig.

Edited by YarTheBug

Hm...I wonder, why a moderator moves a thread, that clearly does not contain a proper challenge (Challenge Submission Guidelines ) to the challenge forum.

Yeah sint this supposed to be in discussion or something? There is no challenge here!

That's it, im applying for moderator in a month. This is just insane!

The moderator was probably drunk or somehing :D

I've been to every planet and nearly all moons... except for Eeloo and a couple of Joolian moons. That wild orbit keeps dissuading me from even trying. Dres and Moho seem easier!

I suppose I should give it a go at some point. I already have a ship with enough dV to get there, and engine power to get there quickly.

We will see!

I have gone to eeloo and back one was a no return i thought the landing system for the return one was clever 1 fuel tank in orbit and the space train front would detach and use the nuke engines to land and 1 fuel tank in orbit for the trip to kerbin

Getting to any planet is easy. Getting back is when it gets hard. ( design wise )

I feel exactly the opposite. The vast majority of your delta-v expenditure comes from getting there (the only real exception to this is Eve) and landing. If you can get there, you often need very little extra to get back.

• 5 months later...

I just landed my first probe! I just waited till Eeloo was close to its' periapse, when it requires only Joolish delta vee. And I never post in the forums, so you can guess this is pretty monumental for me. It's glitching though, seems to think it's night all the time, and the camera is all out of whack. So now all I have left (for probes at least) are all of Jool's moons but Laythe. Landing and returning astronauts on Eeloo, however, is still quite out of my league

• 1 year later...

Eeloo was actually the third target I reached in KSP after Minimus and Laythe. It's actually much easier than you think (I pretty much rode an orange tank there with a nuke on the back). Inefficient, but very easy to get there. It worked so well that I used it later for a trip to Sentar (Planet factory). Just remember, generators go a long way. Solar panels are much less efficient the further out you go.

I took my curiosity rover there yesterday. It is quite easy to get there, alas once there, there is sod all to do..

So, Squad, please can we have more interesting things to visit on planets. Cave systems on most worlds. Lots of easter eggs to find. You know, stuff to see and do.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.