Who Has Made it to Eeloo without Cheating?

I've been to Eeloo but not Jool.

Heh, Eeloo was the third planet I went to, right behind Duna and Eve. Back during 0.18.X, I wanted to go there before it got turned into a moon. Turns out I had plenty of time, but at any rate, I got an unmanned probe there within a week or two of Eeloo being in game. I then finished up sending probes everywhere else but Jool, because there were just too many targets there, I didn't want to send six missions. I started with the idea of a single rocket with a payload of six independent probes, but mission creep set in. So my first manned trans-planetary mission was a mothership mission to Jool.

I've been back to Eeloo twice, once for my grand tour (that was my first manned landing on Eeloo), and once for the reddit 50th challenge, which I never did finish. Had a lack of delta-v issue at Duna, and my second attempt hasn't made it into orbit yet, my 250 ton payload doesn't want to stay on the launcher. Amazingly enough, I'm having no problems with the launcher itself despite being the largest launcher I've ever built, and stock at that.

Getting there is not a problem. Getting back is. You would need an orbital fuel refinery with kethane miners to refuel your ship for the return trip. This is actually something I should try - I've only been to Eeloo once, and that was a one-way trip.

It's entirely possible to do without Kethane; the delta-V budget isn't astronomical. One way to overcome the margin-of-error worries is with drop-tanks. Also, leave equipment there, only bring the Kerbals back.

Heh, Eeloo was the third planet I went to, right behind Duna and Eve.

Second planet for me, Duna being the first (I've done tons of Mun and Minmus landings). I've only ever successfully landed on Eeloo, Duna, and now Moho. Crashed hard on Eve, thankfully it was a probe rover (actually might have made it if I'd picked my landing better, damn oceans).

For some reason Jool doesn't really captivate me. The inner and outer planets are more interesting.

Edited by regex

Honestly here: I have not yet made it passed Duna, but, I gotta say, the rule on no mods for this challenge is not fair. there are 2 mods that I think are honestly a must, because they make this game easier and can conserve valuable fuel. MechJeb <and considering that they are apparently NOT going to include something like this at all: http://wiki.kerbalspaceprogram.com/wiki/Planned_features which is a horrible loss if you ask me, see bottom in red> and Romfarer's Lazor Docking Camera. If you do not know what I am talking about, look at this picture: this pic is off of google images: k9HITyuh.jpg

its the Picture in Picture you see about middle - lower left of screen, it along with MechJeb makes docking simpler. to compare that docking cam, this is what NASA uses:

Undock1g-736337.jpg

that is the real thing from NASA. IF NASA uses autopilot and docking cam's I think its fair that we do, especially the autopilot when you consider the extreme physics of reaching the far outter edge of the system of Kerbal Space Program :)

Edited by AlamoVampire

Getting there is not a problem. Getting back is. You would need an orbital fuel refinery with kethane miners to refuel your ship for the return trip. This is actually something I should try - I've only been to Eeloo once, and that was a one-way trip.

It's possible to get there and back without having to refuel if you build the right ship.

This is my ship during it's burn to leave Kerbin.

exp01.jpg

Slowing down to get captured by Eeloo

exp08.jpg

2 Kerbals on the surface

exp09.jpg

On their way home, having ditched the lander

exp10.jpg

All stock parts, no MJ, just a docking mod to assist with docking the lander when it returns from the surface.

Edited by Scarecrow88

Honestly here: I have not yet made it passed Duna, but, I gotta say, the rule on no mods for this challenge is not fair. there are 2 mods that I think are honestly a must, because they make this game easier and can conserve valuable fuel. MechJeb <and considering that they are apparently NOT going to include something like this at all: http://wiki.kerbalspaceprogram.com/w...anned_features which is a horrible loss if you ask me, see bottom in red> and Romfarer's Lazor Docking Camera.

Are you for real? I don't want to start a new mechjeb discussion here but seriously, I've been playing KSP since January without mods and I've done most of what I consider basic beginner stuff... And they ARE beginner stuff trust me. That is, going to every planet and back, except maybe Tylo and Eve which are really hard. The fact that you think that doing stuff like this is hard or nearly impossible can only mean that you've been using mechjeb for so long that you don't even consider the possibility of doing it without these mods.

Well let me tell you, it is possible! It's not hard! And right now I feel like I did something nearly impossible to some people. You can too!

Have gone where four times, grand tour 1 with kethane mining, probe Eeloo sample return who took home 100 kg of rocks and grand tour 2 and 3 last was an single launch to orbit with no refueling.

Second hardest place to go, Moho is twice as hard. Main issue is the long travel time.

Could be worse, Grand tour 3 had an 13 year wait from Jool orbit to Eeloo intercept window.

Honestly here: I have not yet made it passed Duna, but, I gotta say, the rule on no mods for this challenge is not fair. :)

I agree that a docking aid of some sort is not really cheating, as you are trying to perform a 3D operation using a screen that only gives a 2D view, and a docking mod can help alleviate that particular problem with the extra info it gives, as long as the docking mod you use doesn't actually do the docking for you. But saying that not being allowed to use MJ is unfair is rather overstating it. There are many people here who have managed to visit all the planets and moons without using MJ. Some of them may a bit more difficult than others, but if everything in this game was really easy, it wouldn't be worth playing.

I've been there once, but I just entered orbit around it. It wasn't really hard as much as it was tedious, but I got lucky with Jool's position and could use it to slingshot my probe onwards toward Eeloo. The rocket itself would probably not have been able to send it there otherwise.

L4AtZL8.png

that is the real thing from NASA. IF NASA uses autopilot and docking cam's

Well, to be pedantic, given all the cyrillic text on that image, it's what the Russians use not NASA. (But I'm sure NASA do the same, or perhaps even use the Russian kit).

I agree that a docking aid of some sort is not really cheating, as you are trying to perform a 3D operation using a screen that only gives a 2D view, and a docking mod can help alleviate that particular problem with the extra info it gives, as long as the docking mod you use doesn't actually do the docking for you. But saying that not being allowed to use MJ is unfair is rather overstating it. There are many people here who have managed to visit all the planets and moons without using MJ. Some of them may a bit more difficult than others, but if everything in this game was really easy, it wouldn't be worth playing.

Only way an Eeloo mission is harder than an Mun mission is that you need an 5500 m/s transfer stage to get where and back, figure out then to launch to Eeloo and back and dock lander to transfer stage in Eeloo orbit. You can figure out the Mun launch and return just by dragging the node around in LKO and you don't need to dock to get back. You could build an lander who landed on Eeloo on the nuclear engines and went back but it would be harder to both launch and land.

I just sent a probe to Eeloo and it is in an orbit around it. As long as you have the right ship and enough fuel to slow down (I literally had 10 units to spare before I got captured) then it isn't really much different to other planets. Pretty though.

Until I read this thread, no.

Now, yes, with this:

PwZoTw3.jpg

Encounter:

kczKsaM.png

Circularised:

qweK5Xb.png

Required low-orbit shot:

pMz3CLa.png

Landed!:

z8dz9CZ.png

Landed with 600m/s to spare :)

If I had bothered to wait for a launch window it would have been much more efficient and I'd have probably got back at least into Kerbol orbit if not back to Kerbin. Oh well, Bob and Bill are now trapped with a lesser Kerbal on Eeloo until I rescue them. That'll be a while though; 654 days is still a while at 100,000x warp.

Mods: MechJeb, just for the dV stats and automating the warp. I really didn't want to walk away and come back to find I'd missed the window, so I told it to warp to Eeloo automatically :P

EDIT: 600m/s is enough for a 27k/32k orbit. Now I wish I'd added a docking port...

EDIT2: Craft file if anyone's interested in stealing rockets: http://www./?qvjwjpm5c0zk2s7

Edited by Epthelyn

Boffinbox, how'd you get violet Quantum Struts? Those look neat :)

i went into the part config file and changed the RGB values. at one end it's yellow and the other end is purple. you can also change the thickness as well.

yxw4lWs.png

i did it to distinguish between struts that are automatic and ones you can place using the strut cores, and makes things look nice as a result

lSlK1Wz.jpg

Until I read this thread, no.

Landed with 600m/s to spare :)

If I had bothered to wait for a launch window it would have been much more efficient and I'd have probably got back at least into Kerbol orbit if not back to Kerbin. Oh well, Bob and Bill are now trapped with a lesser Kerbal on Eeloo until I rescue them. That'll be a while though; 654 days is still a while at 100,000x warp.

Mods: MechJeb, just for the dV stats and automating the warp. I really didn't want to walk away and come back to find I'd missed the window, so I told it to warp to Eeloo automatically :P

EDIT: 600m/s is enough for a 27k/32k orbit. Now I wish I'd added a docking port...

EDIT2: Craft file if anyone's interested in stealing rockets: http://www./?qvjwjpm5c0zk2s7

had you made the bottom part of the center tank dropable you would save fuel. Even better drop two of the nuclear engines and side tanks before Eeloo circulate, you would need parachutes to land anyway.

had you made the bottom part of the center tank dropable you would save fuel. Even better drop two of the nuclear engines and side tanks before Eeloo circulate, you would need parachutes to land anyway.

What? Eeloo has no atmosphere...

What? Eeloo has no atmosphere...

I was talking about Kerbin return, dropping two of the LV-N would save a lot of weight. same with dividing up and dropping more of the center tank.

I would use three 720 liter tanks, first is dropped during burn, second would hold landing legs for easier landing but would be empty at landing so dropped at takeoff.

Dropping two of the LV-N and side tanks would save close to three ton but make it impossible to the ship with so you only drop everything from the pod and do an pod with shutes landing.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.