0.22 new features: Subassemblies and science!

Mokmo

This update will be the new 0.18

I will wait to see if it is better than 0.18,after the docking implementation is VERY useful(think of it,most of the player have a station(even the simpliest one(like mine which is consiting of two the stock core station))and a lot of player have a rocket that need docking in the mission(think of all the apollo style rocket))!

Also,0.18 brought the action,manoeuvre nodes,the engines fairing,craft renaming,music,functional air intake,unmanned probe(who didn't made a mission with these?),electricity,lights,new ressource system(wich allowed you to trafer ressources between crafts) and lights.

This is why 0.18.x is my favorite update;it will propably remain so for a long time(if the 0.22 update don't take over the tittle!)

You need a corked bottle to store them in, first. Voltmeters alone would be useless. :P

I've just realized - subassemblies. :0.0:

Folder "landers", folder "first stages", folder "second stages", folder "third stages", folder "escape systems". Oh, this is nice. :cool:

Sounds terrific doesn't it. I really like my ascent stage; now I don't have to rebuild it for every vessel I make.

Well... not now... but soon!

If we can take samples on our missions then the reports should be interesting. It'll be nice to finally find out what Minmus and Eve are made of.

Even the big lumps of rock like Ike and Tylo might have some fun secrets ready to be found by a bit of EVA geology.

The sub assembly manager mod works pretty well. That's available right now. Its great.

Yes but the assembly mod has one weakness you can only attach things to the root note (probe core /pod) this is not fun if you need to put things like command seats or kethane scanners on top had been nice to be able to also use bottom as attachment point

Yes but the assembly mod has one weakness you can only attach things to the root note (probe core /pod) this is not fun if you need to put things like command seats or kethane scanners on top had been nice to be able to also use bottom as attachment point

Did the demo show this? I ask because that limitation isn't inherent in subassembly manager/loader, but rather in the way KSP connects parts. Now, if anyone would be in the position to do a subassembly function that gets around this, it would be the devs, but until I see evidence that they have, I wouldn't count on it.

Nah, the demo tried to attach a subassembly radially onto a radial decoupler and ran into the same problems.

The demo player then attempted to place a fuel tank on the decoupler, and then attach the subassembly to the bottom of it... but the clip fades out before a solution is found.

I think it would probably require a bit of a wider overhaul of the building system, which has been suggested that the devs may look at anyway.

They are talking about this new launcher in blog posts. Does this mean we can't just click executable file and just boot straight into the game? This does not sound like an upgrade. Do we need to put our store credentials into to and wait for it to check that we have brought our game (Getting to play few hours like update sounds like fun...)? If I want to play older version because mods aren't compatible, does it nag about new update every time I launch older version of game and I need to click this nag screen to go away?

Please let this launcher be optional...

I am wondering what's inside that specimen container? Will that be a monkey? Or the first dog on kerbin?

"Specimen" doesn't have to be a living creature. If it did, my doctor wouldn't ask me to bring one in when I have an appointment.

Any kind of sample-returns (mineral, atmospheric, biological, etc.) will likely call for one of those containers.

So is the tech tree going to actually do anything or will it just be a mostly empty placeholder for like two or three more versions?

KSP Weekly

Jim (Romfarer): This week my main focus has been on the R&D tech tree icons. There’s 42, lets say 42 icons and they all look different now.

I doubt it.

"Specimen" doesn't have to be a living creature. If it did, my doctor wouldn't ask me to bring one in when I have an appointment.

Any kind of sample-returns (mineral, atmospheric, biological, etc.) will likely call for one of those containers.

Finally, a good part to add on my Robotic sampler... :D

So is the tech tree going to actually do anything or will it just be a mostly empty placeholder for like two or three more versions?

Nope, all the parts are going to be in there and it looks like other enhancements as well. That plus a way to earn research points, the parts needed to do that, etc. I am sure it'll get tweaked and enhanced in future versions, but .22 is going to be all about the research, so it'll be more or less fully fleshed out upon delivery of .22.

Nope, all the parts are going to be in there and it looks like other enhancements as well. That plus a way to earn research points, the parts needed to do that, etc. I am sure it'll get tweaked and enhanced in future versions, but .22 is going to be all about the research, so it'll be more or less fully fleshed out upon delivery of .22.

I hope it manages to deliver, I'm actually a little excited for it. Especially after the extremely disappointing releases of .20 and .21. Something actually new to play with!

I'll hold my breath though. Resources were also looking to be inevitable and now it's taboo to even talk about them.

Edited by Frostiken

and science...

well...

science is science, now you would have more reasons to go far away from your cozy little home in kerbin!

And, probably, more reason to send bigger, more complicated crewed missions and landers far away instead of smaller, lighter and simpler probe core-based vessels.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.