[1.0] Enhanced Navball 1.3

kitoban

Let's see, mods installed: FAR v.0_13.3; DeadlyReentry v.4.7; EngineerRedux v.6.2.4; InfernalRobotics v.0.15d; KAS v.0.4.7; KerbalAlarmClock v.2.7.4.0; Kethane v.0.8.6; KSPInterstellar v.0.11; KW Rocketry v.2.5.68; ProcFairings v.3.05; RemoteTech v.1.4.0; TacLifesupport v.0.8.0.4; Toolbar v.1.7.2; ActiveTextureManagement v.3.1; ModuleManager v.2.1.5; EditorExtensions v.1.1

As for the experience of this behavior, that was with two different ship designs, both used before with no problem at all. One in orbit around Kerbin and one orbiting Mun.

In other words the sudden speeding up of a rotation, or a sudden devation of a linear path roll happened on both ships without warning seemingly at random. Letting go of the F key while SAS is activated (T key toggle) does stop the non intended movement. When I leave SAS activated and navigate to a marker these random deviations or speed ups don't seem to happen, at least I didn't notice them. However I much rather use the F key to disable SAS temperately when navigating to a marker. ;-)

Hope you can do something with this, let me know if you want more info.

Greets,

Jan

Thanks Jan. The only one of your mods that I am not using (besides many others... full list in sig link) is InfernalRobotics and RemoteTech... which is not to say they have anything to do with your issue. Just info.

I would be very interested to know if anyone else has experienced your issue. Try actually uninstalling Ki's mod to see if it goes away.

Jan, Any chance you can post the ship file somewhere so can see if possible to replicate. I have made sure the points are drawn on non-collidable objects, as I did see one of the dev's write an note about crashing into the ui a couple of years ago (c7 I think, can't find the article now)

The calculations on the ghosts is simply to take the current prograde and retrograde positions, remove the z component and scale to position it. None of which would effect anything beyond the ghost vertex itself. Would be useful to know if anyone else is seeing issues like this as these are the first reports I have seen of anything like this.

I had already deleted the enhanced navball folder from the GameData folder of my modded install and some rolls to target with one of the same ships used seem to indicate all is 'normal' again using the build in ball.

I will do some more testing tomorrow and if I see any peculiarities with the default one too now, if so I'll let you know.

As said before I very much like the concept of the enhanced version and the added in-game scaling I think is extremely useful. Although by far I haven't seen all episodes of Scott's Interstellar quest, I can't believe he wouldn't have mentioned something about this, so I would look long and hard to that added scaling and sliding options, as that's the last change made in the code I presume.

Greets,

Jan

Jan, Any chance you can post the ship file somewhere so can see if possible to replicate. I have made sure the points are drawn on non-collidable objects, as I did see one of the dev's write an note about crashing into the ui a couple of years ago (c7 I think, can't find the article now).

Of course, no problem, a zip with the two ships in question you can find here.

Let me know when you have them so I can remove the link / file again.

Looking at the list of mods I gave I did forget B9_Aerospace, but no parts were used in the ships mentioned, so I presume that's not relevant.

It's speculation of course, but could it be somehow FAR is inadvertently linked in while out of the atmosphere were it shouldn't have influence. The sudden speed up -flipping of the craft- when coming further away from the prograde marker for instance would be the behavior when in atmospheric flight. Oh well, just a thought. ;-)

Greets,

Jan

It's speculation of course, but could it be somehow FAR is inadvertently linked in while out of the atmosphere were it shouldn't have influence.

It's possible I have asked ferram in the past to disable all flight assistance once out of the atmosphere, but nothing's come of it yet, or he didn't see it. I know Manley got caught out by it once and so have I - any flight assist toggles left on can make your craft behave extremely erratically.

Well, I've had a look, and that definitely is not how it behaved over here. ;-)

Maybe it was a fluke, I'll drop the mod in again tomorrow - oh dear, actually later today <g>- and if it happens again I try to do some recording with Fraps if that'll work.

Greets,

Jan

Just a little follow up.

Fraps set up, headset ready - hmm my own voice with delay, how the heck do I remedy that<g>- , dropped in the enhanced navball again and... no problems at all.

I did remember the first time I installed it I had a look at the repositioning and sizing at the launchpad and then reset it all before take off, so I did that too this time and I half and half expected that this resetting would somehow reset something in FAR as well to trigger the behavior I saw before, but nothing, absolutely nothing. Everything behaved very well. In my defense I can only say it really did happen. Maybe it was a corrupt download or something, although that would be a first too.

Oh well, let's hope that after this post it doesn't roar it's ugly head again, if so then it's definite, it must be Murphy at the helm. ;-)

Greets,

Jan

Having trouble getting the sliding to work with Toolbar... I've got the latest Toolbar and Enhanced Navball installed, but when I go to find it in my toolbar, all I get is a [???] icon for Enhanced Navball and I can't activate it to slide/rescale. I deleted my old enhancednavball.dll, and I have the two .png files in my Resources folder.

Any help? :)

• 2 weeks later...

Curse moderator #1: hey, isn't KSP 0.24 out today?

Curse moderator #2: I think so yeah.. why?

Curse moderator #1: well, I'm just thinking.. the modders are going to be updating all their mods

Curse moderator #2: I don't follow..

Curse moderator #1: well, there'll be a lot of files that need verifying.. shouldn't we, you know.. verify them?

Curse moderator #2: oh I see now.. meh, leave it for a few hours.

This is why I hate Curse and much prefer mediafire/dropbox/github/personal hosting method of authors choice. Forget the ads, forget the bad history, it's the fact that the time when a mod author says it's on Curse is, to paraphrase H2G2, a recipriversexclusion, a number whose existence can only be defined as being anything other than itself. In other words, the given time of file availability is the one moment of time at which it is impossible that the file will be available.

My game just crashed when I clicked the navball config button on the toolbar (win 64bit KSP)

========== OUTPUTING STACK TRACE ==================

(0x0000000104810000) ((module-name not available)): (filename not available): (function-name not available) + 0x0

(0x000000009647577D) (Mono JIT code): (filename not available): EnhancedNavBall.Config.ConfigurationWindow:<BuildIcon>b__0 (object) + 0x1d (0000000096475760 0000000096475783) [0000000004794D48 - Unity Root Domain] + 0x0

(0x000000001AA4E047) (Mono JIT code): (filename not available): Toolbar.Command:click () + 0xc7 (000000001AA4DF80 000000001AA4E109) [0000000004794D48 - Unity Root Domain] + 0x0

(0x000000001AA4DF4A) (Mono JIT code): (filename not available): Toolbar.Button:click () + 0x2a (000000001AA4DF20 000000001AA4DF50) [0000000004794D48 - Unity Root Domain] + 0x0

(0x000000001A98EBC8) (Mono JIT code): (filename not available): Toolbar.Button:drawInToolbar (UnityEngine.Rect,bool) + 0x108 (000000001A98EAC0 000000001A98EBD4) [0000000004794D48 - Unity Root Domain] + 0x0

(0x000000001A98D972) (Mono JIT code): (filename not available): Toolbar.Toolbar:drawButtons () + 0x512 (000000001A98D460 000000001A98DAA2) [0000000004794D48 - Unity Root Domain] + 0x0

(0x0000000052D5D235) (Mono JIT code): (filename not available): Toolbar.Toolbar:draw () + 0x2f5 (0000000052D5CF40 0000000052D5D569) [0000000004794D48 - Unity Root Domain] + 0x0

(0x000000001D194232) (Mono JIT code): (filename not available): Toolbar.ToolbarManager:OnGUI () + 0xb2 (000000001D194180 000000001D1942C3) [0000000004794D48 - Unity Root Domain] + 0x0

(0x00000000050972DB) (Mono JIT code): (filename not available): (wrapper runtime-invoke) object:runtime_invoke_void__this__ (object,intptr,intptr,intptr) + 0x6b (0000000005097270 000000000509734A) [0000000004794D48 - Unity Root Domain] + 0x0

(0x000007FD6D0436CA) (mono): (filename not available): mono_set_defaults + 0x2b8e

(0x00000000FFFFFFFF) ((module-name not available)): (filename not available): (function-name not available) + 0x0

(0x0000000004794D48) ((module-name not available)): (filename not available): (function-name not available) + 0x0

========== END OF STACKTRACE ===========

Not sure if the problem is with your mod, or with toolbar, or something completely different, maybe you got more insight.

I had quite serious problems with the mod installed, both 32- and 64-bit, under Windows. After a while, the time acceleration hotkeys stopped working, and clicking the arrows didn't actually accelerate time (though they did light up). Going back to the space center showed me an odd view of it, as if I'd moved my camera around (which I hadn't). Saving and reloading didn't fix the problem, and neither did returning to the main menu and re-entering the game.

Removing the mod solved the problems.

*EDIT*

Never mind. Removing the mod did NOT solve the problems, so I don't think it's EN that's causing them. Something odd with 0.24, or another mod maybe. I have now seen the issues in both 32- and 64-bit KSP with and without EN.

Edited by godefroi

I've discovered an interesting "bug".

When you have "manned" Pod's that are unmanned, the Enhanced Navball indicators do not work. But when you man the unmanned pods the indicators start working.

I'm not sure if this is by design or not, but it would help it wasn't. I normally run unmanned pods attached to ships that are probe controlled, or in the case of a "rover" that contains a pod attached to the ship, it doesn't work.

Thoughts?

• 2 weeks later...

I am really curious about this. I noticed that recently my navball started showing antimaneuver nodes. I don't have this mod installed, unless it is now bundled with another but, at least the navball in my IVA (rasterprop screen navball not the game stock navball) and I have to say.... now that I have them....I don't know why anyone thought they were a good idea.

So far the only difference between having them and not, is that, about 1/4 of the time, I start my burn 180degrees offset from where I intend to because I forget that the meaningless marker exists.

I mean, I get normal and antinormal, I get radial and antiradial, but why would I want to move my trajectory away from a maneuver? I only ever want to get closer to it, or make a new one. Is there some situation I am failing to imagine where it helps? About the only benefit I can see is it makes it easier to find the maneuver direction since there are now two indicators so if you turn the wrong way you will still "see it" (and hopefully not line your burn up to it)

aside from that, love the extra markers, I may install this anyway when I get home even if just for (anti-)normal/radial

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.