[1.02] KW Rocketry v2.7 Available - 1.02 Compatibility! - 16/05/2015

Kickasskyle

As I said, I very much understand disconnecting KW from the balance of squad parts at this point. And I'll probably continue playing without using stock parts (except for lander engines, as we don't have any of those in KW yet). As I'm sure that not everyone will be happy about this, maybe you could provide an 'extra' config (similar to the autoshroud and clamp sound folders) that uses values similar to corresponding stock engines, as nonsensical as that may be?

I probably will at some point though, it wouldn't really be hard though. Just blanket set all the mid/heavy lifter engines ISP's to 320/360ish and leave all the upper stage engines as is or if I really want to set one or two the the bigger engines to abit higher ISP to make all the smaller engines useless.

I think the KW Rocketry Engines work quite fine for reasonable (sub 100 ton freight) rockets, as long as you don't want fully recoverable one stage-rockets. The Nasa engines are extremly expensive, and the KW stuff tends to be a bit cheaper than skipper/mainsail and co. So your launcher might be 40+ tons heaver, but still cost the same or less.

The Soyuz style (ST-25/37) fuel tanks are also really cheap. I like to use them like liquid fuel boosters, low-priced but extremly impractical and therefor usually only used in the first stage. To bad the 3.5m variant got nerfed into line with the stageable tanks.

@Kickasskyle: That said, can we make the ST 37 a bit cheaper? :3

It's really not as practical as the the 40 ton fuel tanks, takes more place, can't be used alone, fits rarely into upper stages and needs a central tank or fuselage. Does that make sense? I could ofc edit the file to make tank cheaper, but that wouldn't be fun/cheating.

The price of the ST37's is driven by the amount of fuel they contain as a result it'd be a bit weird to start tweaking the balance around. I'll take another look at it though and see if there is any allowance for 'cheapening'.

Someone mentioned it earlier, but the engines do indeed have two top nodes now, this is to facilitate the use of adapter shrouds/etc without triggering the autoshrouds. Which makes things like the petal adapter not look horrific, it can take a little bit of fiddling to get them on but anyone mildly capable of building anything in KSP should be ok.

Also, the Kerbal Stuff download link seems to be on fire, we gained about 11k downloads over the last day and have become the most popular mod on there, which is insane.

I just noticed that in your version of the launchClamp1 part.cfg file (for reduced "de-clamp noise") the "module" is set to "Strut", but it's a "Part" in squads original. Is there any particular reason for this? Is there even any difference?

So that's why the petal adapter and saturn's 2nd stage adapter works. Was quite confusing when i made my Apollo replica. That's actually pretty useful.

The price of the ST37's is driven by the amount of fuel they contain as a result it'd be a bit weird to start tweaking the balance around. I'll take another look at it though and see if there is any allowance for 'cheapening'.

Yeah, i see the logic behind the balancing. There is just rarely a reason to use them from a gameplay-standpoint, since they need at least something like a 360 ton stage (2x ST37+3.75m tank). Thanks for considering it.

Edited by Temeter

Hi there!

I'm having a little issue with KW Roketry.

I have seen that in career mode inside the VAB, I can see the thumbnails of all the components, even those representing pieces I have still not bought with science.

Is there a way to fix this? I am now filled with object that I can't currently use to build rockets...

I have to point out that this happens also with other mods, but with KW Rocketry the problem is bigger as there are a lot of pieces.

Thanks to everyone!

Hi there!

I'm having a little issue with KW Roketry.

I have seen that in career mode inside the VAB, I can see the thumbnails of all the components, even those representing pieces I have still not bought with science.

Is there a way to fix this? I am now filled with object that I can't currently use to build rockets...

I have to point out that this happens also with other mods, but with KW Rocketry the problem is bigger as there are a lot of pieces.

Thanks to everyone!

Just to be sure: If a mod adds parts which belong to tech's you already researched, you have to manually klick the single parts in the right tech tree window. Please check the science lab, the number of not researched parts are shown above the symbols.

I am fairly new to the game - just a 0.23.5 BTSM playthrough under my belt. I decided to do some sandbox with FAR installed, and of course this mod is perfect for that purpose.

I was hoping someone could explain the interaction between FAR and some KW parts like I am a total noob. I have searched a decent bit but am having trouble finding a general and definitive answer.

When is it beneficial (considering FAR) to use non-tapered interstage connectors vs. stack decouplers? I understand that FAR looks for "exposed" nodes in vertical stacks. Therefore it seems like a stack decoupler would work fine in most cases where the engine is the same diameter at the attached tanks. However, I can imagine you'd want an interstage connector when the engine is smaller than the stack.

The part that confuses me though - an interstage connector grants the "shielded" aerodynamic status to the engine, while a decoupler does not. In a stack with all 2.5m parts, for example, would this make any difference in overall drag?

Thanks for the help! Terrific mod!

Edited by shifty803
I can't type.

The fins have to much drag (0.3). The stock ones have 0.0. So if I add 4 KWR fins to my rocket I lose ~1000dV

Here some screens, compared to stock fins and no fins:

Javascript is disabled. View full album

This can be a huge problem if you use FAR, because of really high structural/aerodynamic stress. Would be cool if you could fix that for the next release :)

The fins have to much drag (0.3). The stock ones have 0.0. So if I add 4 KWR fins to my rocket I lose ~1000dV

Actually stock fins are 0.02. FAR modifies them to zero so that stock aero and stock-compatible tools ignore them.

You could create a MM config for FAR support in KW by copying the values from a suitable stock fin in FerramAerospaceResearch.cfg:

@PART[R8winglet]:FOR[FerramAerospaceResearch]
{
@module = Part
@maximum_drag = 0
@minimum_drag = 0
@angularDrag = 0
@dragCoeff = 0
@deflectionLiftCoeff = 0
@ctrlSurfaceRange = 0
@ctrlSurfaceArea = 0
MODULE
{
name = FARControllableSurface
MAC = 1.311
e = 0.8
MidChordSweep = 27.6
maxdeflect = 15
b_2 = 1.388
TaperRatio = 0.611
}
}

Just change the R8Winglet part to the name of the part you want to add FAR data to, and you'll have a K&W fin with the FAR-stats of an AV-R8 Winglet.

(1k dv sounds high.. if stock aero is only affecting those fins, the net drag would be almost nothing..are you sure about that figure?)

Got KW working now uninstalled the lot and re downloaded all my mods so far so good. That massive engine makes an awesome sound.

Thanks for all your work.

Don't know about FAR, I'm playing with NEAR, but:

Recreated one of my 0.23.5, pre-NEAR designs:

qnxmRGa.jpg

That thing is highly unpractical with NEAR (1st stage is too powerful for it, and it's 100 ton payload on that pic. In stock, it can barely deliver 80 tons to LKO), and yes, there are 12 fins, two on each booster. What can I say - they're so pretty :)

The difference - about 100 m\s less with fins.

Oh, and here's the booster separation (four ullage motors on each booster) - that sequence makes me squeal with glee :D

LnnAL84.jpg

Kyle and Winston, great job on the new update! Griffon Century rocks (DAT BASS!!!)

Edited by biohazard15

Kyle and Winston, thanks for the awesome rocket pack! I am really enjoying building a replica Saturn V. However, I have an issue using the Petal Adapter with FAR. It doesn't provide aerodynamic shielding like fairings, and thus pieces of my (supposedly) enclosed lander rip off on the way to orbit. Any one else have this issue?

The SPS will not take fuel from the Stratus-V Roundified Monopropellant Tank. I rocket that is a probe core, a round mono tank and an SPS will show fuel in the fuel bar for the engine but will not actually go. If you swap out the tank for a FL-R10 RCS Fuel Tank the engine draws fuel just fine.

Actually stock fins are 0.02. FAR modifies them to zero so that stock aero and stock-compatible tools ignore them.

You could create a MM config for FAR support in KW by copying the values from a suitable stock fin in FerramAerospaceResearch.cfg:

@PART[R8winglet]:FOR[FerramAerospaceResearch]
{
@module = Part
@maximum_drag = 0
@minimum_drag = 0
@angularDrag = 0
@dragCoeff = 0
@deflectionLiftCoeff = 0
@ctrlSurfaceRange = 0
@ctrlSurfaceArea = 0
MODULE
{
name = FARControllableSurface
MAC = 1.311
e = 0.8
MidChordSweep = 27.6
maxdeflect = 15
b_2 = 1.388
TaperRatio = 0.611
}
}

Just change the R8Winglet part to the name of the part you want to add FAR data to, and you'll have a K&W fin with the FAR-stats of an AV-R8 Winglet.

(1k dv sounds high.. if stock aero is only affecting those fins, the net drag would be almost nothing..are you sure about that figure?)

Oh, yeah, that makes sense. Just checked now the FAR config files and found it.

And yes (1000 dV), if the Mechjeb dV stats are right. If I launch the rocket in the different settings (seen in the screens) it seems like MJ is right with the calculation.

I can do mmCofigs, but anyway thanks for it :)

Edited by acc

Kyle and Winston, thanks for the awesome rocket pack! I am really enjoying building a replica Saturn V. However, I have an issue using the Petal Adapter with FAR. It doesn't provide aerodynamic shielding like fairings, and thus pieces of my (supposedly) enclosed lander rip off on the way to orbit. Any one else have this issue?

Thats because of the name of the part. FAR checks the internal name of a part for "fairing" etc.

Go to "GameData/FerramAerospaceResearch/CustomFARClassification.cfg", make a backup (just in case) and then open the file with a text editor. Search for:

PayloadFairing
{
title = payload
title = fairing
title = shroud
title = interstage
}

and change it to:

PayloadFairing
{
title = payload
title = fairing
title = shroud
title = interstage
title = petaladapter
}

That should fix it (don't forget ingame to remove the adapter and add it new. otherwise the changes maybe not apply on your part) but it's not tested

The SPS will not take fuel from the Stratus-V Roundified Monopropellant Tank. I rocket that is a probe core, a round mono tank and an SPS will show fuel in the fuel bar for the engine but will not actually go. If you swap out the tank for a FL-R10 RCS Fuel Tank the engine draws fuel just fine.

Limitation of KSP, im afraid. If you make the fuel flolike normal monoprop and are pushing a lander or something that is staged to decouple from the SPS stack, it'll use ythe landers supply before its own. So it was changed to act like normal fuel which means radial tanks need fuel lines connecting them to the stack. A MM config will allow surface attachment for them if they don't currently support it.

Don't know if it's a problem with KSP or the KW parts, but the .24.2 update makes the flags that are placed on KW fuel tanks display through the tanks, as if the tanks were invisible.

I have that issue with the 0.24 KW rocketry from time to time. Only seems to happen with the 40 ton 2.5m tank for me.

I have that issue with the 0.24 KW rocketry from time to time. Only seems to happen with the 40 ton 2.5m tank for me.

Yeah, it seems to be linked to craft files loading up flags on the parts; newly created crafts will not exhibit the issues... weird, but nothing I can't work around.

For anyone still having trouble in 64-bit with the 3.75m Titan I and Wildcat XR engines causing KSP to crash upon starting a new game, or loading an old one, I've found a solution:

Install MechJeb.

Seriously. That's the entire fix. Remove MechJeb, those engines make it crash again. Re-add it, it's magically healed. I don't know how or why it works, but it does, at least for me.

Edited by ZalgoWaits