Am I the only one who doesnt use mechjeb?

Odo

Am I the only one who doesnt use mechjeb?

I constantly see posts here talking about achievements and then say they are using mechjeb. I personally have never used it and dont want to use it because it takes a challenge from the game. Im proud to say Ive landed on Duna, eve, laythe, mun, minmus, and assembled a huge station in orbit all without mechjeb.

I have nothing against people who use mechjeb. Its just gotten to the point that SO many people are using it, that someone has actually told me I am cheating if I was able to do anything without it...

Your thoughts?

My thoughts are no you are not the only one. But please stop assuming people who use it can't play the game. And that someone was probably not the brightest guy.

I never said people who use it cant play the game, I personally just dont want to use any mods or mechjeb because it takes a challenge from the game. It just seems the majority of people DO use it.

For me, the most fun is in building rockets, rovers and probes, and everything else. I use it for the boring stuff, like preforming maneuvers. But I love docking and landing without it.

I love making crafts like you. But the inner nerd in me also loves docking and rendezvous. :)

Mechjeb gives me vital information on orbital data.

Of course, you could use the mapview. But where's the challenge in the game if you use that?

really if you wanna think about it, the map view IS pretty cheap, which is why Ive done an entire orbital mission in IVA view, which wasnt easy at all, but was doable. My orbit ended up being somewhere around 80-300. Not even at all, but a stable orbit! :sticktongue:

Thats your loss. There are so many good mods that add so much to the game.

While yes, mods do add some very nice aspects to the game, the majority are simply making something easier. The only mod Im considering using is kethane, for the aspect that it actually gives a purpose for bases on moons and planets.

Edited by sal_vager

I didn't use MechJeb all through 0.20 and a did a lot of things without it. Then 0.21 came along, the SAS got messed up, and my ships couldn't hold a heading worth a damn. So I started using MechJeb. If the SAS ever gets un-messed-up I might drop it again, but it has some nice time-savers.

To each their own.

I never said people who use it cant play the game, I personally just dont want to use any mods or mechjeb because it takes a challenge from the game. It just seems the majority of people DO use it.
Thats your loss. There are so many good mods that add so much to the game.

-snip-

No, I do not use it. I've tried it. Then I actually bought KSP and decided to keep it clean. I do miss its landing capabilities as probably the most useful thing to me. It predicts landing spots despite the body rotation and existence of atmosphere. Amount of delta v is also useful.

I like to launch and fly my rockets alone, as well as rendezvous artificial satellites and planetary bodies.

Edited by KasperVld

No, you are not the only one that doesn't use it. Although, like you, I believe the majority of this community uses it, or at least the majority that posts.

I feel mechjeb removes more than half the gameplay (Really, it's hard to build something that mechjeb won't fly, so don't even count building rockets as half the gameplay).

I'm not upset at people that use mechjeb, unless they boast their "achievements" or make excuses as to why they use it. Even more if they compare themselves to NASA or something of the sort. Oh, and don't forget the people that call stuff "boring".

PDCWolf, isn't flying in Space really easy? You think what to do first, point your nose in the right direction and light up your engine for a short amount of time. The real challenge in KSP is to build working spacecraft. And i think once you've learned how orbital mechanics work and have done all the major achievements in the game like orbiting, rendezvous, landing on a celestial body interplanetary travel and such, you are really free to use Mechjeb since you understand KSP.

Edited by Canopus

-snip-. And PDCWolf, isn't flying in Space really easy? You think what to do first, point your nose in the right direction and light up your engine for a short amount of time. The real challenge in KSP is to build working spacecraft. And i think once you've learned how orbital mechanics work and have done all the major achievements in the game like orbiting, rendezvous, landing on a celestial body interplanetary travel and such, you are really free to use Mechjeb since you understand KSP.
Not to try and start up anything, but flying spacecraft can be pretty tough sometimes, especially if you didn't time something out right or are flying close to land. Flying and engineering go hand in hand. To say flying isn't at least 40% of the game is ridiculous, because otherwise all KSP would be is a stats building game.

Not to try and start up anything, but flying spacecraft can be pretty tough sometimes, especially if you didn't time something out right or are flying close to land. Flying and engineering go hand in hand. To say flying isn't at least 40% of the game is ridiculous, because otherwise all KSP would be is a stats building game.
Landing is ofcourse a different story

i remember had mechjeb installed long ago when i was a little more new to the game and didn't know how to do some things, sadly i never figured out how to use it, it was a lot of buttons and options so after some days i decide to unistall it and had to learn things the harsh way, by failing a lot of times until i succeeded

-snip-. And PDCWolf, isn't flying in Space really easy? You think what to do first, point your nose in the right direction and light up your engine for a short amount of time. The real challenge in KSP is to build working spacecraft. And i think once you've learned how orbital mechanics work and have done all the major achievements in the game like orbiting, rendezvous, landing on a celestial body interplanetary travel and such, you are really free to use Mechjeb since you understand KSP.

We have tutorials in game for that. In fact, some of my buddies only went through the in-game tutorials and a 10 min video I posted (private, just for them) saying how parts work together and they are already planning for duna. And no, they aren't physicists nor did they have previous experience with astrodynamics.

Now, at least for those I've seen playing KSP for the first time, it wasn't really hard to build working spacecraft. Obviously they all failed on their first try, but they keep playing and getting better.

Mechjeb is not necessary for anything in the game, it is something you - the player decide to use.

i remember had mechjeb installed long ago when i was a little more new to the game and didn't know how to do some things, sadly i never figured out how to use it, it was a lot of buttons and options so after some days i decide to unistall it and had to learn things the harsh way, by failing a lot of times until i succeeded
Thats because Mechjeb requires you to understand the basic concept of spaceflight. Its not one button to the mun.

Karolus10: Double posting, second post has been removed and merged bellow - please using "Edit Post" option, thank You.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

We have tutorials in game for that. In fact, some of my buddies only went through the in-game tutorials and a 10 min video I posted (private, just for them) saying how parts work together and they are already planning for duna. And no, they aren't physicists nor did they have previous experience with astrodynamics.

Now, at least for those I've seen playing KSP for the first time, it wasn't really hard to build working spacecraft. Obviously they all failed on their first try, but they keep playing and getting better.

Mechjeb is not necessary for anything in the game, it is something you - the player decide to use.

I didn't meant Mechjeb should teach you, i meant you learn yourself, and then you have the right to use it. Edited by karolus10
Post merging

I feel mechjeb removes more than half the gameplay

I feel like you have never actually used MechJeb. Either that or I've never found the feature that flies my ship for me. I still have to make all the decisions of what to actually do and where to fly. I can't just click a button and watch it take me to Jool.

E: I mean, it would be really nice if I could just push one button and have MechJeb analyze my delta-V, figure out what I'd intended the budget to be and what my corrections will cost, launch the rocket into a transfer-appropriate orbit, find the next launch window within my budget that fits when I'd like to travel, perform the burn, wait until Kerbol SOI, perform any needed correction (there will always be one), wait until target SOI, make another correction to ensure the right orbit that I want with the proper periapsis, circularize (if needed), make sure my payload hasn't been mucked with during all the previous stuff, then do whatever the payload is supposed to do.

Edited by regex

I don't always use mechjeb, but when I do, it's to test if my ships are compatible with flying like that. (He he, I just figured out that's from a commercial, but anyways-) Mechjeb is a good time saver, or if I am trying to build a huge space station in Duna orbit, I'd prefer to just use mechjeb. I know how to rendevous in orbit easily without maneuver nodes, and perform interplanetary travel, again, without maneuver nodes. All of the badges in my signature I've accomplished without mechjeb's help. When I want a realistic gameplay, I use mechjeb :0.0: . If you didn't know, NASA flys their ships on AUTOPILOT. So do AIRPLANES. If you can manually control a real spaceship, then you've beaten NASA at their own game. (Not really, they have staff that can fly the ships manually, but they only do that in emergencies or when it is necessary).

Don't use it don't plan too. I said to myself maybe a year down the line when everything becomes routine. Buuut then i discovered kOS. THAT is a true auto pilot mod and I love it. Adds a new layer of craft construction. All done in the VAB? Now you gotta write up an autopilot program to fly it. It's very hard and Im not very good at it, but I learned how to make launch to orbit scripts and maneuver nodes. It is really great to see it all work in the end. It brings back that feeling of accomplishment that I had when I first started playing KSP.

And to top it all off I use the Lazor camera and romfarer to increase draw distance to 100km. From now on I watch all my rockets launch from the ground like I was standing there. The zoomed camera can watch them all the way to the horizon. Truly a brilliant feeling and it breathes new life into this game.

Very highly recommended. Ditch mecjeb! Go kOS!

I don't use Mechjeb, I use Kerbal Engineering Redux. I love that, no autopilot or anything like that just information that I need to make life easier, both in the construction process and in the flight process. But I don't hate on people who do use it, I do consider it a bit of a cop out in some aspects but I can understand the use of it for those long ion drive burns on sats and probes.

But I also strive for realism in most of the games I play, and so I also have mods like FAR and DRE, but don't have the mods that give you way OP engines, or wheels that can go 200m/s on the ground.

It amazes me how bothered some people can get over some other people playing a single player currently sandbox only game differently from them.

And since others are talking about it, I mainly use mechjeb for delta-v/TWR calculations and for doing some of the more tedious parts of launches. Launching your first relay satellite by hand is fun, but by the time one reaches launch #30 it starts getting a bit boring.

Edited by Exposure