Am I the only one who doesnt use mechjeb?

Odo

This game has a great community, but the common obsesion with using or not Mechjeb is worrying sometimes. Everyday I browse this subforum, one of the last three threads is about Mechjeb usage. Nobody is arguing about how many people uses modified engines, fuel tanks, bio-fuel mods, extraplanetary launchpads, or any other game mechanic changer, they all are plugins that add value to the game, neither about the abuse of "Alt+F12" debug options, but Mechjeb is like "oh I see, you don't know how to play this free sandbox, but I do because I always fly manually". Why this obsesion with "manual flying vs autopilot flying"?

Honestly, you're doing yourself a disservice by not using mods if you really want to. For what it's worth, you can run KSP from anywhere. I have two copies, the Steam copy that's modded like crazy, and an unmodded copy on my desktop. There are no registry entries or anything like that so windows isn't going to care where it's running from. And this far after release of a version (.22) the bugs have pretty much been identified. A lot of guys will run unmodded for a little while after a new release to do exactly what you're saying, which is enough I think to catch bugs. KSP is mod-friendly because Squad made it that way. They use their own resources to host mods. Not to mention you could also help mod developers test their stuff, too.

If I really need to have mods to reach the targets I set myself, I will propably do it anyway. But at the moment I'm fine and having fun, so that's perfect for any game :)

and thanks for the copy information, I didn't know that. Could be handy to have it on a fast USB drive ^^

to the mechjeb and cheating thingy: If it is cheating I don't care anyway, since it is just a singleplayer game. If it would be multiplayer, I wouldn't like people who use it. But in a singleplayer game everyone should do what is most fun to them.

if i got a basic 2-stage rocket that launches a 50-100 ton payload and doesnt try to do anything fancy, i use mechjeb.

but i can still launch a 1000 ton monstrosity and dock the payload in orbit without rcs thrusters and mechjeb usually causes the thing to explode or crash, so i do it manually.

if you are going to do it manually, then go big or go home.

<courtesy image snip>

You missed the "I've already done it manually, and I don't want to repeat the same things mindlessly over and over again when I know I can do it and just don't want to" option (which I consider legitimate) and the "If Scott Manley uses it, so can I!" (which falls under the logical fallacy "appeal to authority," but I've seen it an awful lot).

I dont. Go hard or go home.

I am trying very hard not to parse that as a double entendre.

I won't deny that MechJeb makes the game easier -- in fact, I believe that that is its intended purpose. However, as my counterpoint to the "MechJeb allows any silly person to get a rocket into orbit," I submit for the reader's review these two threads. Yes, it is certainly easier than piloting manually, but you still have to know how flying a rocket is supposed to work in order to make good use of it in the first place.

(For the record: I do not currently use MechJeb for my own personal use, although I have tried it. Most of the information I need for casual play I can get from Kerbal Engineer, and I'm still sufficiently entertained by piloting my own craft manually that I don't need an autopilot to cut down on the tedium. That said, I have made comparisons of the informational displays on the two mods, and MechJeb actually does display more information -- it's just that I've never really needed it to play for my own satisfaction.

The other response I could make to the attitudes of those who think using MechJeb is a mortal sin falls squarely under the "crashed rocket" section of the infographic (although it isn't actually on it as yet), so I won't say it.)

xD TMS, i got a new thing you can add to the little draw: piloting in a game is cheating piloting itself, ask ayrton senna he could explain what true piloting is ... else ask the wall ... else keep believe your not cheating too not using mechjeb simulating piloting in a game ;) wich is not the fact, the fact is that the first thing you cheat, not using mechjeb and believe your not cheating, is yourself xD. GO hard for real buy a formula one car ! ... = buy a mirror and watch yourself cheating too ... that's easy ... thoose mechjeb thread on and on are so dumb ... (*shrug*)

Edited by WinkAllKerb''

xD TMS' date=' i got a new thing you can add to the little draw: piloting in a game is cheating piloting itself, ask ayrton senna he could explain what true piloting is ... else ask the wall ... else keep believe your not cheating too not using mechjeb simulating piloting in a game ;) wich is not the fact, the fact is that the first thing you cheat, not using mechjeb and believe your not cheating, is yourself xD. GO hard for real buy a formula one car ! ... = buy a mirror and watch yourself cheating too ... that's easy ... thoose mechjeb thread on and on are so dumb ... (*shrug*)[/quote']

Senna wasn't a pilot, he was a driver. Chuck Yeager was a pilot, Gus Grissom was a pilot, Baron Erich Richtoffen was a pilot.

I did in the past, it taught me about gravity turns and such. Then some update came along a while back and I decided to do a clean install with no mods and I haven't needed it since.

xD TMS' date=' i got a new thing you can add to the little draw: piloting in a game is cheating piloting itself, ask ayrton senna he could explain what true piloting is ... else ask the wall ... else keep believe your not cheating too not using mechjeb simulating piloting in a game ;) wich is not the fact, the fact is that the first thing you cheat, not using mechjeb and believe your not cheating, is yourself xD. GO hard for real buy a formula one car ! ... = buy a mirror and watch yourself cheating too ... that's easy ... thoose mechjeb thread on and on are so dumb ... (*shrug*)[/quote']

Why would you care if someone "cheats" in his own single player game? Are you cheating when you do something that I've banned myself from doing because I feel it's too gamey?

Edited by Person012345

Senna wasn't a pilot, he was a driver. Chuck Yeager was a pilot, Gus Grissom was a pilot, Baron Erich Richtoffen was a pilot.

Indeed they were phenomenal pilots, and will forever stand as some of the bravest pilots in our history. We, on the other hand are people playing a game for the sake of fun. This thread is a pointless circle-jerk for those for and against the use of MechJeb. Either use it or don't.

I'm sure there are others who get the same calm contentment that I get from this game: assembly, staging, timing launch events, establishing orbits, hitting that zero-relative-v between a ship and a station, docking...

I'm in no rush to build fleets of ships or explore the system. I'm enjoying my tedious pace of in-game discovery.

So, what do I say to MechJeb? Not today.

Someday, perhaps...

Maybe he meant Erich Hartmann? :)

Could very well have meant either one, I'll concede.

The real question is, who's going to write the off-the-wall short story where they both get merged together into some unnatural chimera of a pilot, a la The Fly?

The real question is, who's going to write the off-the-wall short story where they both get merged together into some unnatural chimera of a pilot, a la The Fly?

A thunderstorm on the same date in 1917 And 1944 causes a rip in space-time.

Edited by DChurchill

Am I the only one who doesnt use mechjeb?

I constantly see posts here talking about achievements and then say they are using mechjeb. I personally have never used it and dont want to use it because it takes a challenge from the game. Im proud to say Ive landed on Duna, eve, laythe, mun, minmus, and assembled a huge station in orbit all without mechjeb.

I have nothing against people who use mechjeb. Its just gotten to the point that SO many people are using it, that someone has actually told me I am cheating if I was able to do anything without it...

Your thoughts?

One of my faults is that although I'm usually a nice guy I sometimes get incredibly tactless.

Nobody really cares if you use MechJeb or not. Or whether you are the last person to not-use it or whether or not you do or do not have a problem with anyone else using it.

but have fun!