Am I the only one who's creeped out by the Mun?

Odo

Creepy is one thing, but... has anyone experienced even a hint of this while looking at more recent Mün terrain? If you're unaware of the meaning behind it, use google images but beware, if you have it, you're in for a nasty surprise. Don't say I haven't warned you.

I was working on something for a challenge where I orbit the equator of the moon at right at 6km which only gives you a 100 odd meters of clearance in a couple of places. Going that low on the dark side just as you hit the terminator line in some of those places is just plane creepy. The way the light plays off the peaks and falls into the valleys throws some real odd shadows going that low and fast.

It makes it even creepier when certain parts of the music come up.

Creepy is one thing, but... has anyone experienced even a hint of this while looking at more recent Mün terrain? If you're unaware of the meaning behind it, use google images but beware, if you have it, you're in for a nasty surprise. Don't say I haven't warned you.

I knew what that link was going to take me to before I even clicked it, because I DO suffer from trypopphobia, a serious case of it as well, and yes I do get creeped out by the new terrain sometimes.

T_T trypopphobia has made me vomit before. Damn lotuspods.

As the title suggest, am I?

Whenever Im on the mun I feel really lonely and uncomfortable and have a sudden urge to leave asap. :confused:

I dont have any problems with Duna. Unless its night time and Im parked next to the face. :huh:

I live in a house by myself. I play KSP at night, with all the lights out, full screen and with headsets. That lonely feeling is real for me, and I love it! I too have gotten a little bit creeped out :P

Edit: Just searched some stuff on Trypophobia and uh... that stuff is a bit sickening.

Edited by AmpsterMan

I have to say, I started getting a bit scared of any of the outer planets from the dark side since I played Outer Wilds after Scott Manley showed it off. You'll get what I mean if you play it for a while.

I was introduced to outer wilds by him as well. That game gives me goosebumps.

Creeped out? Nope, not at all. Intrigued by the alien terrain? Absolutely.

Now, if I were to run across a cave with the Cybermen's symbol at the entrance or a bunch of cargo containers with "Botany Bay" painted on their side, I might get a wee smidge nervous.

Edit: Why are people so afraid of holes? Scared Samara is going to crawl out and get ya? :wink:

Edited by Jack Wolfe

TIL I have minor Trypophobia. I remember one time I cooked Macaroni (for Mac&Cheese) in the Microwave, and when I took it out, most of the noodles had coalesced on their sides forming this sickening beehive pattern that sent chills up my spine. I just now realized the new Mun elicits a very subtle fear into my psyche that I hadn't noticed until now.

creepy is one thing, but... Has anyone experienced even a hint of this while looking at more recent mün terrain? If you're unaware of the meaning behind it, use google images but beware, if you have it, you're in for a nasty surprise. Don't say i haven't warned you.

why did i just tpye that in!!! ;.;

What i find scary is Ike I find Ike aways in the way of everything it is willing to eat your ship Its scary because the terrain is aways black atleast the epic space music helps everytime I'm there I'm afraid some cliff or monster is gonna come out awfully big and close to duna and once i sent a grand tour of the duna system visiting Ike and duna Every time i see the dreaded IKE encounter i start freakin out

The manned mission i got out planted the flag and got back to orbit and left its that LITTLE monster ike

And the most scary thing for me is checking on my probe in interstellar space

Its so lonely the sun is so far away and i feel like the kracken is gonna come out any minute and eat my intersellar probe

Edited by Dooz

I've never been creeped out by any of the celestial bodies in KSP, but I did find Jupiter to be terrifying in Orbiter. When you make a close approach to do a capture burn, you know you're not too close, your instruments say you're not too close, but all you see out of the window is an enormous flat plane of beige gas with no visual indicator to say how far away you are...

It's very unsettling to see a planet take up your entire field of view when you don't want to hit it.

I've only landed on Duna, Eve, Ike, Mün and Minmus, and I must say... when I land a single Kerbal on the Mün, I always get out again as fast as possible, especially if night is falling. Ike is also REALLY creepy, but Eve is not. If Eve had fog, though... it would be hell. Think about it - you're driving around in your rover, and something is looming just outside your field of view... Also, if Duna had duststorms. You're out on an EVA, and a warning light suddenly appears in the lower right of your screen: "Duststorm approaching". You're scrambling to get all of the kerbals inside, but when there's only on left, the duststorm hits, dropping the visibility to a few meters. You can't do anything but wandering about, blinded. Maybe you're lucky and find the spaceship, maybe you find youself a few hundred meters away when the dust settles.

Personally I do find the loneliness and emptiness a little creepy, but I love it for that. Terms like 'terrible beauty' and 'magnificent isolation' come to mind. Probably the creepiest place for me though is Eeloo, the sun's just so small in the sky and since I've only ever sent one probe there, it's extremely lonely.

L5NS2R5.jpg

That said first time I went to Bop to hunt the Kraken my heart was racing when Bob came over a rise and spotted it in the distance. So still and quiet and yet so dangerous

Every body scares me. Especially duna.That decoded SSTV picture...and I saw crepy white steam w size of 2 kerbals O_o.

But yeah.there's nothing more loneliness than being on eeloo (Jebediah is there right now!) at the farthest point from the sun

Duna freaks me out, i used to be fine with it but then once people found out the sound was an SSTV signal and it made that picture, then i just got freaked out. That music that plays when you crash without dying always makes me feel helpless, alone and abandon.

I've never been creeped out by any of the celestial bodies in KSP, but I did find Jupiter to be terrifying in Orbiter. When you make a close approach to do a capture burn, you know you're not too close, your instruments say you're not too close, but all you see out of the window is an enormous flat plane of beige gas with no visual indicator to say how far away you are...

It's very unsettling to see a planet take up your entire field of view when you don't want to hit it.

I totally agree on Jupiter. It is just too big and when I imagine standing on one of the galilean satellites, especially the inner ones, I think anyone would feel confused about what's "down". The gravity of the satellite tells your inner ear that the ground you're standing on is down, and your eyes look at absolutely huge Jupiter and say that you're above it. I think it would be very unsettling.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.