The Grand 0.22 Discussion Thread

SQUAD

Dang, this update is a lot more fun than I thought it would be. At first I thought it would be boring having to work my way up from nothing, but the science gathering mechanic makes every flight seem worthwhile somehow. Even simple suborbital flight missions are more entertaining than they ever were before.

Whackjob, What did you use to connect the two science modules together and attach the goo canisters and batteries?

The first girder you get. New picture:

gGJTMcb.png

Now, the initial results are very preliminary and subject to change, pending additional data, but it appears I've been pushing in the wrong direction. Probably should have made a left turn at Albuquerque.

#EDIT: I've been pushing for three hours.

Since update the scroll wheel doesn't work for me at all. I can't move the view up and down in VAN nor zoom in/out in flight view. Do you have the same problem?

I cannot change input settings to use it - I open the input, choose control to change, scroll down or up, but game does nothing.

Interesting. No, I don't have the same problem with the scroll wheel. I couldn't imagine what might have changed.

Side note... fourth hour pushing my science lab. Almost home. 720k periapsis. ~15 more pushes and I should finally start hitting atmosphere.

Good GRIEF. Finally did it. After going EVA to push my crippled ship dozens and dozens of times over five hours, I have finally managed to slam into the atmosphere and land my craft.

QxJ8osp.png

Once again, sheer tenacity triumphs over the initial stupidity that caused the problem in the first place! I am content.

Haha, congratulations Whackjob, how much science did you get out of that?

337. Not a bad run. Oh, and for anyone perusing this thread, I think I'd just like to mention that thermometers garner science as well. Also, I think we can safely presume that the other devices also gather science.

Oh, and here's another pretty picture. I got to like that little science vessel over that long five hours, and I thought I'd do it a kindness by fine-tuning it. Specifically, making sure it always lands right and never tears off a chunk that would cause loss of data.

5BRanrc.png

It's asymmetrical, but has reaction wheels enough to counter it. The chutes on the back orient it so it lands just so on its legs. I've since rotated the capsule on the front to make egress easy, plus a small set of rungs to get in and out. And a thermometer.

Next goal: Minmus! Plus a powered return that does not require five hours of pushing.

I was just wondering I have done a fresh install with the .22 version, I want to DL a few mods but I don't want it to screw with the career mode, are mods just gonna stay in the sandbox?

Just wondering before I install and check myself I guess.

I got my first solar panel :)

Here's Jeb's unauthorized Mun landing (he was supposed to do fly-by)

ozU9CHQ.png

And he should've listened, 'cause now he's stuck in space.

FgXe070.png

I was trying to push the rocket using his jetpack but it would take ages. So guess what now? Rescue mission! Damn, KSP is awesome :)

Tip: If you want lots of SCIENCE!, send a probe to Sun's orbit; remember to take a lot of batteries and solar panels though. I got 300-400 points in two missions :)

I just had kethane and engineer, and so far none of those parts have shown up in career mode.

I have done what some people elsewhere suggested and copied 2 lines about the attributed technology and the tech costs from the part.cfg of a part in 0.22 into the part.cfg of each Kerbal Engineer Redux-Mod part and they show up in the tech tree

I just got to do a couple fast runs last night, and unlocked 2 or 3 tech nodes.... but i still dont have solar panels or batteries, which makes transfering science results a pain unless im burning.... I think i saw the small battery in one of the nodes i have available to unlock, but where are those darn solar panels? :P

It is definitely funny that you can take surface-samples of the launchpad :D

I just got to do a couple fast runs last night, and unlocked 2 or 3 tech nodes.... but i still dont have solar panels or batteries, which makes transfering science results a pain unless im burning.... I think i saw the small battery in one of the nodes i have available to unlock, but where are those darn solar panels? :P

One of the techs that cost 90 Science has them

I posted this in the "what did you do today" thread but it is possibly more fitting to go here.

On a whim, I landed on Minmus and returned with Tier-1 parts. It was actually the 2nd time I'd done it, I also did it in .21 when we learned what the first unlockable tier would bring. Not as impressive as landing on Duna with Tier-0 parts or anything, but I'm pretty proud of it.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

You mean at the beginning where decouplers aren´t researched yet?

You cannot ...

your best bet is to just put a single tank and an engine below (as well as an parachute at the capsule) and then start ...

usually your capsule should survive the parachute descent (while engine and tank explode).

Another way would be to have your first mission just be an EVA on the launchpad, taking surface samples and EVA reports there

and then use the so collected science to unlock the node with the decoupler

I just had kethane and engineer, and so far none of those parts have shown up in career mode.

Judging by the patch notes (or was it a blog?), which mention special research paths for mods that don't fit in the regular tree, I assume that the mod will have to be updated to add itself into the research tree at the proper spot. I don't think the game adds in mods automatically.

So far, i'm having a total blast with the career mode. I'm rediscovering how much fun it can be to fly to the Mun and land manually (much harder with only a few parts!), and little easter eggs like the launch pad soil sample text :). I love it!

One question, though: Can you put something on the craft to let the Kerbals radio in their reports while on EVA? Currently you have to store the report in the capsule, or simply get in and send it. Trying to send a report while on EVA just results in a message saying that the craft has no commo gear (which it does, but I assume it's talking about the space suit here?).

Oh, and what is the new, parabolic antenna for? Seems to use more power than the small antenna, and provide no benefit...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.