The Grand 0.22 Discussion Thread

SQUAD

Realize that this is a massive update, we have subassemblies and science and lights and more, Good job Squad, you never dissapoint. I thought .21 was big but that was just the calm before the storm!

I.. really... need... sleep...

I've been doing things in steps, saving the rocket that was used for each step. So far I have Kerburcury I, II, II, Kerbini I, Grasshopper (A small VTOL rocket for taking samples around the KSC), Kerbini II, Kerbini III (Which landed on the Mun! SCORE SOME SCIENCE BABY YEAH). Kerbini IV also landed on the Mun. Kerbini V went to Minmus. (Holy science batman!). Now I have Duna Explorer I on it's way to...you guessed it...Duna. Hard to do with no docking ports or nukes, but I'm having illegal amounts of fun with the science.

Anybody know if there's a way to increase the % of data transmitted home? Tried more antennas, no go. I guess its there as a hard-wired incentive to get your samples, etc, back home intact?

Nah man, you can get as many of those as you want, you can just keep them, same for samples i believe.
EVA, do report, re enter capsule, wait for new location, rinse repeat.

Oh! I thought they were like Crew Reports where you had to overwrite them. I didn't even bother to try it.

Thanks for the info!

I guess its there as a hard-wired incentive to get your samples, etc, back home intact?

I think so. It's the difference between having the Curiosity rover on Mars and actually getting some Moon-rocks back to your lab on Earth.

I'm loving this update. Now I have the decision to either get SAS or batteries. Man I miss batteries. and solar panels. and 2m parts. and, ok career mode makes you miss a lot of stuff. That makes it so much mean so much more when you finally get them.

Spaceport Screen is still wonky/choppy/wobbly in Linux. As long as you don't try and pan around while choosing which building you want to go to, all is fine. Also had some texture issues while coming back to a close view of Kerbin from the Mun. About half of the textures of the planet were gone and just blacked out as I time-warped back from Mun orbit to Kerbin orbit. It cleared up as I entered the atmosphere.

Guest Brody_Peffley
Best birthday present I could get! Thanks for the great birthday that I will now spend all night blowing up on!

Happy birthday :D

I wasn't really sold on career mode at first either, but the first couple hours have been really fun. Jeb is actually inventing space travel!

My only small irritation is that the goo chamber needs an in-line model; I haven't really figured out what to do with it besides using two and ignoring one, or just leaving my rocket imbalanced.

I wasn't really sold on career mode at first either, but the first couple hours have been really fun. Jeb is actually inventing space travel!

My only small irritation is that the goo chamber needs an in-line model; I haven't really figured out what to do with it besides using two and ignoring one, or just leaving my rocket imbalanced.

Each goo container stores its own data. So if you have two you can hold two reports.

SRJQhmG.png

My little munar lander's science ship. Notice anything? I shed the rockets that I used to get off the Mun. Turns out I only had enough fuel to get almost to orbit. I had to shed the rockets to drop mass, then get out and push. So here I am, getting out and pushing every time I get near the lower node of the orbit. Slowly, methodically escaping Munar orbit by virtue of Kerbal power.

I could give up, but there's no way I'm dropping that sweet science, and even more sure there's no way I'm gonna let Jebediah not come home.

The second you get access to the skipper engine an easy* Duna mission becomes possible. My Duna ship was very basic. I'm missing a lot of pics due to excitement for science, but here's what the mission looked like. http://imgur.com/a/6jlbK

Used 6 asparagus staged boosters to launch the central Skipper Duna transfer section with the ship up top. The last 2 boosters are seen in one of the pics. Got my intercept, used the last of the fuel in the transfer stage to finesse the LZ and slow down, then used parachutes on the ship itself and the drop tanks to slow down. Had to use a little fuel, but not too much. Did science the whole way, taking crew reports, EVA reports, samples, 2x goo cans and 2x labs. Waited for the window home, lifted back off, ditched drop tanks when empty, circularized at 50km then burned back to Kerbin.

What can I say. I love me some science.

*: I say easy. Some may find this difficult, others may laugh at how easy it is and say how they got to Eeloo on the 2nd level of parts. YMMV.

Edited by Yalin Hawk

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.