[1.12.*] Deadly Reentry v7.9.0 The Barbie Edition, Aug 5th, 2021

Starwaster

Oh come on, im sure it coudl be done.

Upon covering engine hole, animation woudl occur, so engine woudl be covered by some barrier. And engine itself woudl be rendered completly heat resistent by game engine. Of course player woudl be unable to fire this engine until barrier is removed.

Then just combine it with infernal robotics. Put a hinge and a heatshield on it, and now you have a heat resistant "door".

Well, you could plug it with ionized hydrogen bent into a layered plasma window, but you would need one hell of a magnetic field for it to be able to survive reentry

Heat shield draining power while working. Interesting.

Heat shield draining power while working. Interesting.

Truly interesting I'll try to find something on it.

There have been concepts known as "active heat shield" some involving water or other liquids flowing through the heatshield to cool it down, while other spraying liquids or gases directly forward of the ship to create a barrier between the plasma and the ship. These sort of concepts are what I am going through right now for my future heat shield pack =) They could offer some advantage over other forms as they don't have the "dead weight" of an ablative heatshield, they don't ablate and are not as fragile as rcc or tiles, on the other hand, they require lots of liquid on board and probalby delicate and reliable piping.

Not just future; there's Phil Bono's patented plug nozzle engine/heat shield for ROMBUS, Ithacus, etc. 1960s on. Plug-nozzle aerospike, regenerative cooling like most rocket engines, use same method on the way down (fueled by LH2, so the fuel's plenty cold).

they don't ablate and are not as fragile as rcc or tiles

I would consider anything that does not function automatically, .ie needs active input to save the lives of crew as inherently fragile. I understand what you mean though.

I would consider anything that does not function automatically, .ie needs active input to save the lives of crew as inherently fragile. I understand what you mean though.

Exactly. Why do you think these concepts never got off to a not-concept phase in real life. But well, Kerbals consider everything xD And they do pilot craft to other planets manually on a daily basis, no? =P

Does the atmosphere upon leaving kerbin damage unshielded docking ports and solar arrays, rendering them unusable? Or could I find this in another mod? It would allow for a practical use for fairings instead of "pretending" I need to protect my equipment.

Does the atmosphere upon leaving kerbin damage unshielded docking ports and solar arrays, rendering them unusable? Or could I find this in another mod? It would allow for a practical use for fairings instead of "pretending" I need to protect my equipment.

I've definitely had stuff overheat and explode while flying out of the atmosphere, especially on spaceplanes. If you have DR, fairings are *immensely* useful. DR doesn't care what direction you're going in atmo, just that you *are* in atmo!

I've definitely had stuff overheat and explode while flying out of the atmosphere, especially on spaceplanes. If you have DR, fairings are *immensely* useful. DR doesn't care what direction you're going in atmo, just that you *are* in atmo!

Then you are going out of the atmosphere too quickly. By damage I don't mean explode, I mean make it so the docking port won't work but still be there.

I played DE first time moment ago and have few comments/questions:

- if i reentry with low angle (pery 30km) no heat shield is needed at all! Capsule heats up to max 900c, but then it starts cooling. It s normal?

- Inflatable shield is lighter that capsule, so during reentry, ship rotates in way that shield is above it. How can i make it usefull?

- is there any way to see my reentry angle in degrees, without relying on just periapsis height?

- i can put decoupler for shield made for stock mk capsule, but i cant on larger ones (these black)

- does reentry orbital speed matters, or just reentry angle?

if i reentry with low angle (pery 30km) no heat shield is needed at all! Capsule heats up to max 900c, but then it starts cooling. It s normal?

If you are using the 1 man pod, it has a heat shield builtin. (You can check by looking at your in flight resources and see that it has ablative shielding)

Inflatable shield is lighter that capsule, so during reentry, ship rotates in way that shield is above it. How can i make it usefull?

Indeed, this has long been a bit of problem shield to use. If you use B9, the air breaks can be used to change the dynamics

is there any way to see my reentry angle in degrees, without relying on just periapsis height?

Not that I am aware of.

i can put decoupler for shield made for stock mk capsule, but i cant on larger ones (these black)

I am not sure that I understand the question but here goes... Each pod shield has a builtin decoupler for detaching from your craft post-entry. In addition, there are a couple of decouplers included that fit the pod shields nicely which should be used just below to detach your craft before reentry. The stock decouplers also work just fine.

does reentry orbital speed matters, or just reentry angle?

Both. Higher velocities require shallower angles, the faster you are moving the more time in atmosphere you want to gradually shed velocity and shield heat. Another consideration added is G-force applied to the craft and your Kerbals, gradual breaking keeps this force within acceptable limits. Ex. Difference in how it feels to go from 60-0 in 0.1 seconds vs over 5 seconds. One way to you live, the other maybe not.

Hope that helps :)

@nothke: That looks about right for a bow shock in Mach ~1.4 flow; try to make the shock tend towards the Mach angle as it heads away from the craft, and make it a little tighter around the object.

As an idea of what you should be going for:

185590main_F-Bullet-Shock.jpg

Bullet shadowgraph, Mach ~1.5

apollo.jpg

Apollo capsule CFD simulation, 14 degree AoA, Mach 4.9

p67.jpg

Mercury capsule shadowgraph, Mach ~3

What you have is a good starting point, but it needs a little bit of tweaking; perhaps an animation that is set to vary with Mach number could be used for this?

thx for replay.

If you are using the 1 man pod, it has a heat shield builtin. (You can check by looking at your in flight resources and see that it has ablative shielding)

Actually i was using ALCOR capsule from mod.

Indeed, this has long been a bit of problem shield to use. If you use B9, the air breaks can be used to change the dynamics

I will check it out. But it seems that is just because center of the mass of vessel shifts, right? Than devs should just make it weight 0 kg :)

Not that I am aware of.

Well, it shoudl be on mod devs TODO list.

I am not sure that I understand the question but here goes... Each pod shield has a builtin decoupler for detaching from your craft post-entry. In addition, there are a couple of decouplers included that fit the pod shields nicely which should be used just below to detach your craft before reentry. The stock decouplers also work just fine.

I wonted to create such vehicle:

capsule - (buildin shield decoupler) - heatshield - decoupler - fuel tanks and engines.

And stock decouplers seemed to not fit larger back heatshields.. but maybe i made some mistake, i will try again tommorow.

I wonted to create such vehicle:

capsule - (buildin shield decoupler) - heatshield - decoupler - fuel tanks and engines.

And stock decouplers seemed to not fit larger back heatshields.. but maybe i made some mistake, i will try again tommorow.

It sounds like you need to use the decouplers that come with DR. Good luck. :)

Hi, I posted this in one other forum, but I thought I might get an answer here a little faster.... When re-entering I disintegrate (yeah, I'm still learning about proper re-entry angles etc. and having great fun) but the problem is that every time that happens and I go to the space centre, my mouse won't highlight any buildings like the VAB etc. I can interact with other tabs as well as the exit tab on bottom right. However, when I do that and exit to main menu, the mouse won't highlight anything on the menu thus forcing me to alt-tab out and kill the program.

I know this isn't specifically related to this mod (I apologize if this is mucking up the thread), but I'm thinking that some of you must have re-entered badly and burned up or sustained too high gload for too long and ended up disintegrating like me. Just hoping someone is experiencing the bug/problem I've got and knows how to overcome it without having to take the long process of reloading the game every time that happens.

Thanks in advance!

Hi, I posted this in one other forum, but I thought I might get an answer here a little faster.... When re-entering I disintegrate (yeah, I'm still learning about proper re-entry angles etc. and having great fun) but the problem is that every time that happens and I go to the space centre, my mouse won't highlight any buildings like the VAB etc. I can interact with other tabs as well as the exit tab on bottom right. However, when I do that and exit to main menu, the mouse won't highlight anything on the menu thus forcing me to alt-tab out and kill the program.

IIRC, this was a problem with previous versions of DR and Nathan is working on a solution.

In a similar vein of disintegrating a lot while testing something, has anyone been able to get ballistic reentries to work with RSS and DR on hard-mode (heat multiplier = 25)?

I'm trying to test an ICBM type re-entry (flight profile: launch up to about 500km, separate payload and re-enter at a relatively steep angle to target the continent to the east of KSC). I've tested using a custom ProcFairing with increased heat-resistance and a built-in ablative shield, but no matter what I do the G-force destroys the craft at about 50km.

Just wondering what I can do differently, or is it even possible with DR?

Well, it shoudl be on mod devs TODO list.

That's rather rude man. You realize you're getting this software for free right, and that it is likely being developed as a hobby?

If an angle of reentry indicator is something that is of such importance to you, why not look into developing it yourself? In other words, why isn't it on your own todo list?

I've encountered very few mod devs as friendly and helpful as Nathan. I thus find it rather depressing at times that this thread often seems to be so heavy on demands for new features, and so seemingly light on gratitude.

Edited by FlowerChild