[1.12.*] Deadly Reentry v7.9.0 The Barbie Edition, Aug 5th, 2021

Starwaster

Maybe it was asked before, but didn't find it: why every part shows that it's not shielded all the time, even if there is a heatshield attached to it (and it's actually saving that part from reentry heat)? Or is it FAR's feature? I installed both FAR and DRE at the same time so don't know to which mod it belongs =\

P.S. Does DRE affect safe altitude from Sun's surface? W/o DRE I was able to pass at about 1500 m without blowing to pieces.

Edited by Mystique

Editted:

Right, so I fixed problems with the 3.75m heat shield appearing to be too small in the VAB, as well as all the heatshield animations playing on loop in the VAB by downloading the mod from Github rather than the first link in the OP.

I've still got an issue of the 2.5m heat shield not appearing in the VAB. There's a part's folder for it, which contains a .mu and .cfg file like the other heat shields. However, the other heat shield parts folders contain a pair of png files. The 2.5m heatshield folder has no png files and a .mbm file that's not present in the other heat shield files. I don't know if that has anything to do with it. So if anyone can point me in the right direction, that'd be great, thank.

Edited by Boomerang

I have a large issue. Everything of mine seems to be burning up at low speeds. If I have this rocket http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=219112503 get to the speed of around 320 m/s, I explode. Is this part of the mod? I have a friend claiming he can take off with this same design at 600 m/s. Please help me :[

Maybe it was asked before, but didn't find it: why every part shows that it's not shielded all the time, even if there is a heatshield attached to it (and it's actually saving that part from reentry heat)? Or is it FAR's feature? I installed both FAR and DRE at the same time so don't know to which mod it belongs =\

This was a bug with 0.23 KSP, the latest DRE builds should have fixed that (4.1+ I believe)

P.S. Does DRE affect safe altitude from Sun's surface? W/o DRE I was able to pass at about 1500 m without blowing to pieces.

In stock, the only source of heat is engines, and the read heat bar in staging would let you know when that was critical so you could control it. With DRE entry compression imparts heat to the exposed surface, and since it wouldn't necessarily be something in staging the temperature readout was added so you could monitor it before it all goes boom unexpectedly. I don't believe any other sources exist, so no amount of radiation causes heating (i.e. from Kerbol), so you should be able to get as close as you like with stock or DRE. Other mods add heat from craft component operation though...

complete newb q here guys ... what is the ideal approach to this mod? as in reentry angle and speed? I am making great fireworks but not doing anything fun really with this mod but i see so much potential ... sorta .. halp if ya dare. Also what's the best way you all have found to slow down and keep a slight angle and not dropping in too fast?

EDIT: @ kalizec I don't believe you are; I'm running into the same issues with the B9 SABREs (RAPIERs did the same when I last unlocked them [started a new career]).

EDIT 2: I should specify the overheating occurs at altitude; approx 25-27 km. Switching between air breathing and rocket makes no difference.

Thanks for the reply. What is the speed you are having this problem at?

@kalizec Usually between 800-1000 m/s. I think I have it figured out though. I think at least my issue is related to having precoolers on some engines versus others (using the B9 rectangular supersonic intakes with the Sabre S without precoolers; 2 of them) and two of the circular radial engine mounts (with precoolers and SABRE intakes). I think that my issue is stemming from heat not being reduced when I shut down the inner engines on the rectangular intakes and leave the precooled engines running. Heat continues building versus not; however, when I run engines all precooled they work correctly.

And I have KSPI and while I appreciate the quick response Nathan at trying to push the issue away from DRE it's not a KSPI issue; I've not had issues with overheating until 0.42 and 0.43 of DRE mixed with KSPI; and I had 0.9.1 (when the precoolers were added as functioning) while running 0.41 of DRE and never had an overheat issue with the SABREs (after updating the DLLs to make them work at all with 0.23).

Will do. Just deleted the folder and will be loading up KSP now. Like I said; my issue at least I found was that heat dissipation wasn't acting correctly with mixed engines (that is: a set using intercoolers versus a set not using them; when I precooled every engine I had no overheating issues whatsoever).

Well I feel like a horse's ass now. Sincerest apologies Nathan. My issue has to stem from a weird interaction between 0.42 / 0.43 of DRE and KSPI's intercooler code.

Just finished a test and everything works flawlessly; well apart from that damnably low density LH2 and LOX that SABREs use with RF lol. The engines heated appreciably like they should (with the intercoolers acting appropriately to cool the set that had them while the other set heated twice as fast. I wonder then what changed between versions to cause such wackiness. I'll go bark up Fractal's tree; and again apologies for wasting your time. That's my issue solved anyway; now I wonder what the hell is going on with kalizec then since he/she doesn't use KSPI and is running into the same issues. :(

What I meant by heat dissipation is that the engines never cooled down internally(?) I guess is the appropriate word. They would show nominal temps after cutting throttle (cooling down like engines should in the right-click display) but as soon as throttle was applied again they immediately went back to the temperature they were prior to throttle being reduced. In my case that was kersplosion temperatures.

Edited by Shad0wCatcher

Well, 4.3 sure works fine without KSPI on my end. Make sure you're actually using 4.3, and not using any mods that change the RAPIER, and not using any kind of patch that converts the SABREs into using the new MultiModeEngine.

EDIT: Ninja'd. I looked at the source; it's because Fractal is directly setting the part's temperature, and that can go over DRE's limit quite easily. It's probably scaled to a maxtemp of 3600 and the original heatProduction values, not the halved ones DRE uses.

Lately I threw an old craft into Kerbins atmosphere - a few attached parts overheated and blew off (e.g. radial chutes), but the stock 3-man-pod got even 200° hotter and survived, seeming to also shield the parts behind it. It had no heat shield attached and flew head first along prograde.

The ground destroyed it fine though. :sticktongue:

What normal/lightning bug?

Also, lightning? As in zap?

Not trying to put words in Astronomer's mouth, but I think he meant normal map/ lighting bug. :D I personally haven't seen the bug he's talking about, but I think that is what he meant to say.