[1.12.*] Deadly Reentry v7.9.0 The Barbie Edition, Aug 5th, 2021

Starwaster

Sounds like the MM config isn't properly decreasing heatProduction for both modes.

Ok, taking a look at it now.....

...and...

...it does look kind of mangled.

I'm afraid to ask, but who wrote it?

It should be this:

@PART[RAPIER]
{
@maxTemp = 1900
@MODULE[ModuleEnginesFX],0
{
@heatProduction = 200
}
@MODULE[ModuleEnginesFX],1
{
@heatProduction = 325
}
}

If you define more as "some, rather than none" :)

If the two parts' origins are > 4.5m apart, *no* temperature will be transferred.

Okay, the two lateral RAPIERs are within 4.5m of each other, so they'll be sharing heat. I suspect something may be miscalibrated somewhere: at full throttle, they're going from cold to exploded within a matter of seconds, and it needs to be pulled down to 50% throttle or less to avoid that. Pre-25, it would've been minutes rather than seconds, and 90% throttle not 50%.

Is the cargo bay likely to be aggravating it?

(edit: just saw upthread that y'all are investigating already; thanks)

Edited by Wanderfound

Okay, the two lateral RAPIERs are within 4.5m of each other, so they'll be sharing heat. I suspect something may be miscalibrated somewhere: at full throttle, they're going from cold to exploded within a matter of seconds, and it needs to be pulled down to 50% throttle or less to avoid that. Pre-25, it would've been minutes rather than seconds, and 90% throttle not 50%.

Is the cargo bay likely to be aggravating it?

(edit: just saw upthread that y'all are investigating already; thanks)

No it's not the cargo bay or anything near it that's responsible.

And that's not what Nathan meant. He was replying to part of what I said which was about parts that are attached to each other transferring heat to each other. So his reply is basically saying that it only works if they are less than 4.5 meters apart. For example if you put the shortest fuel tank (FLT100) between the RAPIER and the FLT800, it would absorb more heat than the FLT800 does.

But regardless of that, it does look like there's a problem in the DREC config file. (which I posted what it should really look like for the RAPIER. It's from the DeadlyReentry.cfg file)

Here's the whole CFG file with RAPIER corrected. Drop this into your DeadlyReentry folder (GameData/DeadlyReentry.cfg)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gagmbk8luzsjj0m/DeadlyReentry.cfg?dl=0

Edited by Starwaster

I'm seeing bizarre overheating on wing surfaces, too. One moment everything is fine, the next and everything is overheating stupendously fast.

Edit: Oooh... maybe it's because most of my wings are attached to the other wings? In the below screenshot, the only wing segment connected to the fuselage is the one at the rear. All the other wing segments attach to that one so I can slide the entire wing assembly back and forth to easily adjust CoL placement. Does this design approach mean that the wings can't dissipate heat efficiently when flying at high speed and altitude (Mach 3.4, 26km, RSS/RO/AJE)?

MKklLGr.jpg

Edited by jrandom

No it's not the cargo bay or anything near it that's responsible.

And that's not what Nathan meant. He was replying to part of what I said which was about parts that are attached to each other transferring heat to each other. So his reply is basically saying that it only works if they are less than 4.5 meters apart. For example if you put the shortest fuel tank (FLT100) between the RAPIER and the FLT800, it would absorb more heat than the FLT800 does.

But regardless of that, it does look like there's a problem in the DREC config file. (which I posted what it should really look like for the RAPIER. It's from the DeadlyReentry.cfg file)

Here's the whole CFG file with RAPIER corrected. Drop this into your DeadlyReentry folder (GameData/DeadlyReentry.cfg)

Link missing, unfortunately.

Thanks, though.

Link missing, unfortunately.

Thanks, though.

Well crap, let's try this again!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gagmbk8luzsjj0m/DeadlyReentry.cfg?dl=1

(btw I corrected this in the 6.2.1 download; undocumented un-incremented version number so future downloads will have the correct config)

(Also, toolbar icon is removed; probably should have incremented for that but I was tired and had to crash)

Edited by Starwaster

Question about the heat shield part module and the new parts:

Do the cargo bays have directional heat shields or heat shields in in all directions? Specifically, do the doors act as heat shields and do the protect the bay contents? I looked in the CFG files, and I think the cargo bays have (0,0,0) in directional heat shields. Does that mean shielded in all directions?

Thanks! Love the mod!

Question about the heat shield part module and the new parts:

Do the cargo bays have directional heat shields or heat shields in in all directions? Specifically, do the doors act as heat shields and do the protect the bay contents? I looked in the CFG files, and I think the cargo bays have (0,0,0) in directional heat shields. Does that mean shielded in all directions?

Thanks! Love the mod!

0, 0, 0 means omnidirectional yes

I'm not sure it can be guaranteed that the cargo bay doors will reliably shield contents if the doors are facing into the shockwave. Depends on the colliders in the door, and it's theoretically possible for raycasting to slip between the doors if a part is perfectly aligned in the center of the bay. Other than that, probably. (I haven't tested those parts with the door facing downwards nor flying upside down so I have no idea if the doors really protect)

Has anyone brought down a Mk1-2 pod? Using RSS, RO, the pod has a 4m Mk1-2 heat shield. Reentry orbit was 120 x 60 km but the heat shield still burns up at ~ 50km @ 6-7km/s.

For those really low orbits, you need to come in a bit steeper, since the shield can't really dissipate heat very well when in the thin upper atmosphere. You have to balance the amount of time you spend there bleeding off speed before you hit the slightly thicker atmosphere where ablation can start. I've found very low orbits to be much trickier to survive than coming in from higher orbits.

Has anyone brought down a Mk1-2 pod? Using RSS, RO, the pod has a 4m Mk1-2 heat shield. Reentry orbit was 120 x 60 km but the heat shield still burns up at ~ 50km @ 6-7km/s.

You can always try a lifting re-entry: the goal is to have an asymmetric pod, and roll it so that the heavy side of your reentry pod is pointed upwards. Because your CoM is out of line with the drag vector (intensified by hypersonic lift generated by the heatshield via strange means), your pod will wind up with the heatshield pointed a bit down and the top of your capsule a bit up. Because of that, FAR generates a bit of lift which keeps you higher in orbit longer. Symmetric pods have a hard time because reaction wheels just don't give enough torque to move the pod out-of-line with the retrograde vector. You can also abuse this to shorten your return, by rolling the other way and causing lift the other way.

You may also need RO-rated heatshields, I don't know.

Edited by Starman4308

Make doubly sure that you have the heat shields from RO. (I know you said you have it but make sure you have THIS: https://github.com/NathanKell/RealismOverhaul/raw/master/RealismOverhaul/RO_DeadlyReEntry.cfg)

Also make sure you have DREC 6.2.1

Also try lowering your periapsis.

(and.... the answer is YES, we've all brought down many MANY Mk1-2 pods. But that wasn't your real question, was it :P thinking of Wash's answer on the subject in Serenity)

The contrails are just FX. Assuming you have both density exponents set to the same thing, they will be *partly* connected, but never trust their presence or absence.

Cheers. I had been eyeing the actual heat more than the FX, though there is something about the orange trail that is particularly alarming :)