[1.2] Real Solar System v12.0 Dec 8

NathanKell

To regex and anybody else using the 6.4 scale config: Try out this slightly adjusted location for KSC.

PQSCity
{
KEYname = KSC
latitude = -0.076
longitude = -74.425
repositionToSphereSurface = false
repositionRadiusOffset = 101
lodvisibleRangeMult = 6
}

I moved KSC closer to the beach, and found a flat enough spot where very little is left hanging in midair. The result is fairly close to looking like the stock game's original position.

I moved KSC closer to the beach, and found a flat enough spot where very little is left hanging in midair. The result is fairly close to looking like the stock game's original position.

I've been adjusting the launch site as well, the next version of the config should have a much nicer location. In v3 I adjusted all the map deformities up by a multiple of 1.5 which screwed up the earlier location. I'm also working on adjusting the camera positioning automatically since having KSC at a higher elevation really messes with it, but I haven't had any success just yet.

I've been adjusting the launch site as well, the next version of the config should have a much nicer location. In v3 I adjusted all the map deformities up by a multiple of 1.5 which screwed up the earlier location. I'm also working on adjusting the camera positioning automatically since having KSC at a higher elevation really messes with it, but I haven't had any success just yet.

What effect (if any) are you noticing on the KSC click bug from adjusting the camera? Is the click bug still present? Or does it occur more often?

What effect (if any) are you noticing on the KSC click bug from adjusting the camera? Is the click bug still present? Or does it occur more often?

I have yet to adjust the camera, but I'm pretty sure I've found the right one. I got started on that late last night.

E: I just checked out the latest repo, I'm going to rebase from head tonight. I didn't realize you guys were renaming the planets, I'll implement a better solution in the switcher. Probably going to need a better way to identify which body KSC is on anyway since the camera code will depend on it.

Edited by regex

Well, I didn't realize until about 5:30am that body.name just *gets* body.bodyName, which is really annoying. So renaming planets will require me posting a PSA begging modders to not grab CBs by name.

(That's why the bodyName lines are all commented out right now.)

Well, I didn't realize until about 5:30am that body.name just *gets* body.bodyName, which is really annoying. So renaming planets will require me posting a PSA begging modders to not grab CBs by name.

(That's why the bodyName lines are all commented out right now.)

Yeah, that's fine, I just want to make sure I'm on the same page. As I found out last night playing with the camera, there are other ways of finding the body in question. Are you and eggrobin usually on the IRC? I program/play KSP between about 10:00pm and 12:30pm PST, maybe a little earlier. I imagine that's a bit too late for EST people...

Isn't EVE the only issue with bodyName? It would be extremely weird but you could leave it on for bodies without atmospheres, I might try and see just how weird it is to have Moon orbit Kerbin and Callisto orbiting Jool.

I grabbed the moon texture from github - looks great! But the side of the moon facing Earth isn't right, just eyeballing it it looks like the texture should go east by about 120 degrees.

Looking forward to the release of 6.1 :)

regex: yes for both of us; me from, oh, 5pm EST until 3+am EST (per above, it was like 6 or 7 last night :o ); eggrobin is in Central European Time but would also be around when you are :P

AndreyATGB: and any other mod that relies on body name. I'm posting a PSA to Add-On General about it.

EVE should be decently easy to fix, just change the names in the cfg.

Beniot: at this point regex and Starwaster know more than I (see previous posts) but I'm sure it's possible to add to RSS eventually.

regex: yes for both of us; me from, oh, 5pm EST until 3+am EST (per above, it was like 6 or 7 last night :o ); eggrobin is in Central European Time but would also be around when you are :P

I'll stay in touch, then. :)

Beniot: at this point regex and Starwaster know more than I (see previous posts) but I'm sure it's possible to add to RSS eventually.

It's good to know I'm not wasting my time on that. Beniot, for the foreseeable future my hobby programming time will be spent bending that damn camera to my will.

I'll stay in touch, then. :)

It's good to know I'm not wasting my time on that. Beniot, for the foreseeable future my hobby programming time will be spent bending that damn camera to my will.

That's the spirit!!! Remember, it's just a bunch of puny ones and zeroes...

Whole bunch of late night rocket freaks here apparently :) For me it's pretty much sundown till sometime just barely pre-dawn usually (also EST). Then I try to catch a few hours sleep before getting up again to do stuff on the boat till sundown, and repeat ;)

I actually managed to get the camera repositioned tonight, found a method that seemed to work. Unfortunately it won't be in the next release because it needs to be tested pretty thoroughly with different launch site configurations, especially because none of the configs I use have repositionToSphereSurface = true and I think that might mess up my method.

Anyway, it appears, in my limited exploration on the subject, that the Space Center controller is raycasting to figure out what building was clicked on (I don't know if that's normal, last time I programmed anything 3d was OpenGL on Android and all I remember was something about frustrums) which might explain why it has such a hard time when the camera is in an odd place. Once repositioned I still experienced some flickering and weirdness, but it definitely seemed a tad smoother. It'll require further exploration and more eyes than just mine for the final verdict.

Beniot: at this point regex and Starwaster know more than I (see previous posts) but I'm sure it's possible to add to RSS eventually
Beniot, for the foreseeable future my hobby programming time will be spent bending that damn camera to my will.

You guys rock!

Unfortunately it won't be in the next release because it needs to be tested pretty thoroughly with different launch site configurations, especially because none of the configs I use have repositionToSphereSurface = true and I think that might mess up my method.

@Regex: If you need help testing this, I'll gladly help with all my noobness. I use repositionToSphereSurface = true and I reoriented my KSC as well as it is easier to lay it near a coast without the runway digging itself in the ground. I also move my KSC all around for the search of a perfect spot. Yet I removed the earth like texture to get back to stock Kerbin (resized as RSS sets it - is it the 6.4:1 then?) due to a lack of memory.

I find the mouse bug on choosing a building pretty annoying and if I can contribute to its dissapearance, please let me know.

Something that just came back in my mind, why do planets without atmospheres still have a scaleheight property?

Since non atmospheric bodies have only High/Low Space situations, I cheat around it and fake FlyingHigh & FlyingLow for those bodies. So for Luna 1 impact probe, you have to perform the chemical release trail while flying low only. (Would be kind of meh if it was only lowspace... :/)

I actually managed to get the camera repositioned tonight, found a method that seemed to work. Unfortunately it won't be in the next release because it needs to be tested pretty thoroughly with different launch site configurations, especially because none of the configs I use have repositionToSphereSurface = true and I think that might mess up my method.

Anyway, it appears, in my limited exploration on the subject, that the Space Center controller is raycasting to figure out what building was clicked on (I don't know if that's normal, last time I programmed anything 3d was OpenGL on Android and all I remember was something about frustrums) which might explain why it has such a hard time when the camera is in an odd place. Once repositioned I still experienced some flickering and weirdness, but it definitely seemed a tad smoother. It'll require further exploration and more eyes than just mine for the final verdict.

btw, re the click bug, one thing I think is worth looking into is resetting the space center camera. theree's a function for doing so on the class. since at some point the bug corrects itself after entering and exiting, I figure resetting must be involved...

btw, re the click bug, one thing I think is worth looking into is resetting the space center camera. theree's a function for doing so on the class. since at some point the bug corrects itself after entering and exiting, I figure resetting must be involved...

I'm resetting the SpaceCenterCamera2 in order to fix the camera altitude. The click bug just seems to be lessened after entering and exiting, it doesn't go away, so that might actually be what I'm experiencing when I talk about "smoother".

Changelog

v6.1 \/

*Fixed only changing things if radius differs

*Fixed to work on non-Windows platforms (regex)

*Fixed many atmosphere and temperature curves (eggrobin)

*Fixed misc typos

*Added Moon retexture from SpacedInvader

*Added bodyName support

*Parsing changes, using stupid_chris's ConfigNodeExtensions

*Added KSCSwitcher from regex: can switch KSC to other presets in the Tracking Station

*Added many, many launch site configurations (compiled by eggrobin from the work by Captain Party, ferram, and others)

*Added new descriptions to all Celestial Bodies, thanks to TheKosmonaut/SpaceAnt

*Speedup in timewarpchecker from swamp_ig

*Added support for PQS->scaledspace wrapping (for real this time; didn't work before).

*Added support for replacing scaledspace meshes with spheres (use this for now, importing is broken)

*Added support for compressing normals (defaults to true)

EXTRA NOTE

This release should work on Macs / OSX out of the box. However, that means it defaults to 4096 textures maximum. Therefore, if you want the 8192x4096 Earth Color texture (as well as the 8192 normal map) you will need to grab it from the OP (or keep your existing one).

Also: now includes Module Manager.