[1.1.2][1-1-2] May 13-2016 EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements

rbray89

I run the graphics pretty high at 1680x1050 with rendering and terrain set at maximum.

All the other settings are at default.

I also have reduced textured KW Rocketry, reduced textured Squad Parts, Kethane, KAS, Mechjeb, reduced textured NearFuture, WarpPlugin, RemoteTech2 Lite and SCANsat.

My Computer I think is pretty average:

i7-2600 @3.40GHz

12 GB RAM

AMD Radeon HD 6670

I know I have a lot of mods, but a lot of people run their games this way.

Would reducing the default frame rate of 120 to 100 help any?

Does reducing anti aliasing, pixel light count and shadow cascades have a big impact?

Those are currently set at default. I do have some software that sets my computer into "Turbo Mode".

It kills about half the programs running in the background and It seemed to help a little in the pass when I was hitting the memory wall limit.

First of all, any program that puts your computer into "Turbo mode" get rid of that. It's like with mobile phones, they make these 'app killer' apps which end up causing more strain than help, due to how they work. Plus you don't want to try to troubleshoot an isssue with something like that running.

Frame rate has nothing to do with it. This issue is simply because A) 32bit program which can only use ~3.5GB of ram. B) The game must load 'all assets' upon launch and this, when using stuff like new planets, can cause a heavy memory footprint. As Krag herself said, this mod will require 'heavy amounts' of RAM. So at some point when you jump into the mod pool, and the mods that are memory heavy, you'll have to make a choice of which ones you want/don't want. Again, the only thing really affecting your system memory usage is the number of assests loaded on launch.

Another way to tweak would be to get MFT & Stretchy Tanks & SRBS. Then delete all superfluous fuel tanks that come with all the mods. Also, go through the part lists of the mods you use. Are you using all their winglets and what not? If not, delete it. Each part you'll delete is one step closer to more memory.

And please, get rid of anything that is a 'performance enhancer' software. Considering how hardware is usually waiting on software these days, don't bother with those things.

actually 32 bit can use up to 4gb not 3.5

From what I understand Video Memory is also in the mix, so the program itself can't have the full 4GB. (Depending on how much video memory is in use.) I may be wrong. But in the end, the issue that Tommygun is having can't be fix by a program or changing the frame rate. It's about limiting how many assets are loaded.

From what I understand Video Memory is also in the mix, so the program itself can't have the full 4GB. (Depending on how much video memory is in use.) I may be wrong. But in the end, the issue that Tommygun is having can't be fix by a program or changing the frame rate. It's about limiting how many assets are loaded.

nope not really the program can get the full 4gb becuase he has more than 4 and is running 64-bit so the computer is run on the other 12gb that's left

I have been getting the same on Linux with a Nvidia 650 and release 1. If you look at the overlayed texture carefully, it is the bump map texture, which seems to be being drawn instead of being applied as a bump map. When I removed the bump map from the configuration file, the cloud texture showed up correctly. In addition all of the other cloud textures are visible with no problems, and these do not have bump maps.

Well spotted! Removing the bump {...} parts of the cloudLayers.cfg file fixed the problem for me as well.

Linux must not like my shader... I will have to install a distro sometime and test. Are you using the propriatary drivers?

You weren't asking me but I'll reply anyway: yes, I'm using the nvidia proprietary drivers, version 325.15.

Well spotted! Removing the bump {...} parts of the cloudLayers.cfg file fixed the problem for me as well.

You weren't asking me but I'll reply anyway: yes, I'm using the nvidia proprietary drivers, version 325.15.

Out of curiosity, what distro are you running?

Out of curiosity, what distro are you running?

I can also confirm this on Lubuntu 12.10 x64 running KSP.x86_64. Nvidia 650ti running Nvidia proprietary drivers 331.13.

Glad I'm not the only one! I was scared there!

Also, hadn't seen anyone mention it recently but I'm sure it has been, but -- has anyone noticed the black cloud swirl at the north and south poles of Kerbin with this mod?

I can also confirm this on Lubuntu 12.10 x64 running KSP.x86_64. Nvidia 650ti running Nvidia proprietary drivers 331.13.

Glad I'm not the only one! I was scared there!

Also, hadn't seen anyone mention it recently but I'm sure it has been, but -- has anyone noticed the black cloud swirl at the north and south poles of Kerbin with this mod?

I've been trying to figure out how to unwrap the uv at the poles, though it seems like it is a very common problem in the modeling world. my issue is that I need it to work regardless of texture position... a seemingly impossible task. I may just end up removing a tiny bit near the top of the UV. Would mean no clouds at the tips of the poles, but small price to pay to get rid of the swirl.

I'm on Win7, actually, with NVIDIA driver 314.07.

Really? Hmmm... that is disappointing... Could be that it just doesn't like the hardware... I'll probably remove it then. Didn't add much anyways as the light doesn't move quickly enough and clouds aren't particularly reflective :)

I think the clouds stand out more at the poles, because they contrast the white polar caps. No light reaches those poles to off set it. Kerbin doesn't tilt, it just has a perfect spin. Earth as you know has that tilt when it spins causing the season. Since not a lot of light hits there, there are a lot of dark gray clouds that contrast the white caps.

It's somewhere in the lighting of KSP program or somewhere else.

Really? Hmmm... that is disappointing... Could be that it just doesn't like the hardware... I'll probably remove it then. Didn't add much anyways as the light doesn't move quickly enough and clouds aren't particularly reflective :)

I don't know - I think it could add something. It provides a sense of dimension to the tops of the clouds, and it breaks up the blockiness of the cloud texture when you're in low orbit. It's just way too pronounced, and it didn't seem to move with the clouds, either. I'd offer to mess around with the shaders, but I'm not a Unity guy. I work in GLSL and HLSL, mostly SM4.x and 5.x, but I don't know how that applies to the Unity framework.

I don't know - I think it could add something. It provides a sense of dimension to the tops of the clouds, and it breaks up the blockiness of the cloud texture when you're in low orbit. It's just way too pronounced, and it didn't seem to move with the clouds, either. I'd offer to mess around with the shaders, but I'm not a Unity guy. I work in GLSL and HLSL, mostly SM4.x and 5.x, but I don't know how that applies to the Unity framework.

They have this really nice "Shader Lab" that lets you write "shaders" in a c-like syntax. Abstracts out most of the work/assembly for you. Problem is that they "compiled" shader code can contain bugs sometimes.

They have this really nice "Shader Lab" that lets you write "shaders" in a c-like syntax. Abstracts out most of the work/assembly for you. Problem is that they "compiled" shader code can contain bugs sometimes.

That "C-like" language is actually Cg (which is Nvidia's take on GLSL).

That "C-like" language is actually Cg (which is Nvidia's take on GLSL).

Ah. Cg I can stumble through (had to deal with that a lot in a past life). It's NV's take on HLSL, not GLSL, FWIW. NV and Microsoft took different routes once they laid the foundation for what would become Cg/HLSL.

Forgive me for this idiotic question, but how do i install this exactly? I've never really installed mods before. Cheers guys :D

Download the zip file from the link. Inside is a GameData folder. Inside THAT folder is a BoulderCo folder. Leave that window open, and open a new explorer window and navigate to your KSP folder. I don't know where it'll be, but within it will be a GameData folder. It will at LEAST have a Squad folder within it. If you see that, you're probably in the right place.

Drag BoulderCo from the zip folder to your GameData folder. Start up KSP and the mod should be installed.

Looking through the cloud textures, wondering if there was anything that could be removed, and covered with one of the other textures, but there doesn't seem to be.

Unless something clever was done with the Kerbin 2 texture, it could be stretched and tilled somehow to make patchy clouds on Duna. Maybe.

One thing though, the cloud textures in the latest one seem to have grown 6-fold in file size. Something to do with conversion to TGA?

Anyway, I'll be running the last one, until issues have been sorted. :)

I think there was some misdirection in your instructions there, because now my mouse is in the toaster, the cat is stuck in the cupboards and my hair is on fire. What do? (Cheers for the help!)

I don't know how to better describe it, and your reply (while funny) didn't actually tell me where you were stuck.

I'll be away from the computer all day so can't help you but maybe I'll make a YouTube video tomorrow on how to install a mod. It seems hard when you're learning but it's really quite simple once you get it down.

...like pretty much everything in KSP :)