[1.1.2][1-1-2] May 13-2016 EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements

rbray89

I was testing a glider on Duna (because why not) and as I was gliding along following a hill down into a valley, rust-colored volumetric clouds started coming out of the surface behind me. They were moving faster than I was and they came and overtook me. It was one of the coolest things that has happened to me in KSP. I got caught in a freak dust storm!

Of course, I wasn't recording :huh:

I gave it a short try yesterday so I can say that the water shader is looking pretty good. There are some minor issues with certain angles and distances (for instance, go to the shore, move the camera close to the water and then zoom in and watch the transition) but overall, the fact I no longer see the sea floor is the single best thing next to clouds that you've added and I think it looks really good. If you want to tweak it, fine, but what you have is fine. Wave deformation is neat, but since it has no impact on your craft I cannot say the effect pays off, am I'm not sure if its really worth whatever effort you are putting in. When you are near the shore its fairly obvious, but further out you just seem to sink and rise. I cannot comment on the other stuff because the clouds disappeared and did not come back for me, and before that happened they still didn't show up from orbit.

1st image, i don't know if the water should look like this, so I'll just drop it here.

2nd image, This is what i see in the tracking station, is this normal?

http://imgur.com/a/9b0YZ

Not sure what you mean about water. At a distance, it fades to the Scaled texture version.

Tracking station must have some sort of coner-case taht I'll have to look into.

Awesome! That's great--it'll also be useful (knowing how) for planet adding...

A bit of bad news: still getting bad zfighting form geostationary orbit. :\

Well, it is "spoofed" and I didn't add it to the CB PQSController var to avoid collisions with other mods. So if the field is null, it will fetch my own implementation of PQS for the body.

Hmmm... and it even has high-vertex count mesh. I'll have to try it with RSS.

Edited by rbray89

I gave it a short try yesterday so I can say that the water shader is looking pretty good. There are some minor issues with certain angles and distances (for instance, go to the shore, move the camera close to the water and then zoom in and watch the transition) but overall, the fact I no longer see the sea floor is the single best thing next to clouds that you've added and I think it looks really good. If you want to tweak it, fine, but what you have is fine. Wave deformation is neat, but since it has no impact on your craft I cannot say the effect pays off, am I'm not sure if its really worth whatever effort you are putting in. When you are near the shore its fairly obvious, but further out you just seem to sink and rise. I cannot comment on the other stuff because the clouds disappeared and did not come back for me, and before that happened they still didn't show up from orbit.

Hmm... Maybe I'll disable it then. Add other animation effects instead. It is pretty weird how ships don't move with the waves.

Hmm... Maybe I'll disable it then. Add other animation effects instead. It is pretty weird how ships don't move with the waves.

But if they would move then it would be impossible to recover a splashed down vessel.

But if they would move then it would be impossible to recover a splashed down vessel.

Not to mention the chance that a few parts would probably get up to the breathtakingly high speed of 7 m/s and explode.

I'm of the opinion there needs to be a "Recover it Anyway" plugin for recovering "moving" splashed-down craft. (Which happens already if using certain parts.) That would solve that issue, though beyond that I'm wondering what it would take to get splashed-down craft to move with the waves. (Without exploding, as ninja-post 5thHorseman points out.)

Haven't had a chance to try this latest test version yet. Maybe this weekend.

I'd also like to start moving my cloud configs over to your new atmospheres layout. Is there anything non-obvious I need to watch out for? Any expected layout changes beyond what was in the previous test release? (If so I'll just wait.)

rbray, is there a way to have a volumetric layer without the 2D layer? Cheers in advance.

next release.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm of the opinion there needs to be a "Recover it Anyway" plugin for recovering "moving" splashed-down craft. (Which happens already if using certain parts.) That would solve that issue, though beyond that I'm wondering what it would take to get splashed-down craft to move with the waves. (Without exploding, as ninja-post 5thHorseman points out.)

Haven't had a chance to try this latest test version yet. Maybe this weekend.

I'd also like to start moving my cloud configs over to your new atmospheres layout. Is there anything non-obvious I need to watch out for? Any expected layout changes beyond what was in the previous test release? (If so I'll just wait.)

GUI is the best way to modify things. I'd avoid text editing.

GUI is the best way to modify things. I'd avoid text editing.

I suppose then that it might be a good time to mention the changes I make in the GUI are never saved. I'll get you some player.log data on it this weekend if it isn't something filesystem-wise on my side.

I suppose then that it might be a good time to mention the changes I make in the GUI are never saved. I'll get you some player.log data on it this weekend if it isn't something filesystem-wise on my side.

In the upcoming release, the GUI is completely fixed. I put a lot of though and effort into making sure it was programmer proof :)

In the upcoming release, the GUI is completely fixed. I put a lot of though and effort into making sure it was programmer proof :)

Nifty. ;)

Though to be fair, I'm not sure the file-writing issues I have with EVE are really your fault anyway. A bizarre sampling of mods just don't seem to be able to save configs in the last few KSP versions, and code-wise few of them make sense. And I've just been too busy to really give the issues any attention, especially since they're minor inconveniences. (It could very well be some disk issue, or OS-X just being its usual miserable self.)

Has anyone had issues with the current build where it loads GameData fine, but when it gets to the black screen with the 'orbiting loading' indicator in the bottom right, the orbits stop moving and the whole game crashes (not a freeze, proper crash with a crash dump). I can submit the crash folder if so desired, just thought I'd see if this was a known issue with a known fix because I bought a 270X4GB mostly for KSP and would love to enjoy these Visual Enhancements!

rbray: bug report (each confirmed by eggrobin). Overhaul-8. I have edited the ATM config (per above) such that Atmosphere/* is made readable.

1. I get "Texture 'BoulderCo/Atmosphere/Textures/kerbin1' has no data" in the log.

2. I get lots of NREs in Atmosphere.AtmospherePQS.Update ()

3. I get a perfectly black cloud texture in PQS, and a translucent haze in scaledspace.

Note that if I make the texture unreadable (as it was before when I mentioned zfighting--oops, didn't notice it was unreadable) I *do* get 2D clouds displayed, but I got log errors about kerbin1 being unreadable.

rbray: bug report (each confirmed by eggrobin). Overhaul-8. I have edited the ATM config (per above) such that Atmosphere/* is made readable.

1. I get "Texture 'BoulderCo/Atmosphere/Textures/kerbin1' has no data" in the log.

2. I get lots of NREs in Atmosphere.AtmospherePQS.Update ()

3. I get a perfectly black cloud texture in PQS, and a translucent haze in scaledspace.

Note that if I make the texture unreadable (as it was before when I mentioned zfighting--oops, didn't notice it was unreadable) I *do* get 2D clouds displayed, but I got log errors about kerbin1 being unreadable.

... this is odd. I'll have to install ATM on my dev install to see what is going on. There is also something weird happening in the tracking station that I have to sort out as well.

I was thinking it would be pretty cool if Kerbal Space Program had planetshine and you seemed like the guy to go to for that. Just a suggestion I understand it would be tough.

Sorry, but I have no idea what you mean by planetshine? Please elaborate?

Just tried out OVERHAUL-9 with normal size and my RSS 10x kerbol system. Only terrian manager comes up for me and their are no clouds or city lights in any case. Also when working with EVE 7.3 with RSS and one of the external packs like sonics or astronomer's work the lighting layer added to say the Mun intersects with the terrain. It helps to increase the altitude but currently EVE limits it to 22K which is not enough to address the problem. I noticed this is still the case in OVERHAUL-9. Could you increase the limit.