[1.1.2][1-1-2] May 13-2016 EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements

rbray89

I would really like to see rings/asteroid belts that consist of many small objects when you get close to them.

Agreed- rings would be awesome. I don't use the city lights part of this mod, cause lights with no cities is too dissonant for my delicate sensibilities, but the clouds add do much to my experience that it's nigh-indispensable.

Agreed- rings would be awesome. I don't use the city lights part of this mod, cause lights with no cities is too dissonant for my delicate sensibilities, but the clouds add do much to my experience that it's nigh-indispensable.

I actually have a couple ideas for this, but I'll have to see how well it works out. The collidable asteroids are definitely doable though.

Rbray is it possible to make these clouds cast shadows? God rays even..

God rays? probably not. I have tried looking into shadows though. Have to figure out how to do it in the shader if feasible.

Ok, I am working on an update that completely changes how the Clouds are rendered (PQS instead of multiple cameras) that should help for volumetric clouds and framerate, and I need some feedback for what people want next.

Here's my personal order, with an addition because I'm never happy with anything given to me:

Daytime Cities (grey patches on the day side where there are bright spots on the night side)

Procedural Cloud Cover

Volumetric Clouds (to fly through)

Planetary Rings/Asteroid belts (collidable)

Planetary Aurora or Other Meteorological effects (lightning, rain, meteor streaks [visual effect only])

Misc Particle effects (collision dust, landing tire smoke, etc)

Though really the last 3 are any order. All are desirable but not as much as the first 3.

I don't use the city lights part of this mod, cause lights with no cities is too dissonant for my delicate sensibilities.

That's why I want daytime cities :)

I actually have a couple ideas for this, but I'll have to see how well it works out.

Can't wait to see it!

I think the two requests that you probably already know but have been kind of buried are having the clouds blot out city lights, and mine which is find a way to stop the cities from floating? They still float on my game, about five kilometers up. But the thing is, I don't know if this is intended behavior. I've tried reinstalling the mod to no avail and I'm almost positive this wasn't the case in 5.3 (though I haven't gone back to check). So, if nothing else, can I get a definitive answer on that? Are the cities supposed to be floating?

I think the two requests that you probably already know but have been kind of buried are having the clouds blot out city lights, and mine which is find a way to stop the cities from floating? They still float on my game, about five kilometers up. But the thing is, I don't know if this is intended behavior. I've tried reinstalling the mod to no avail and I'm almost positive this wasn't the case in 5.3 (though I haven't gone back to check). So, if nothing else, can I get a definitive answer on that? Are the cities supposed to be floating?

They're not quite so bad for me (at least I don't think so) but they are off the ground. I believe it's a problem that he can't map them to the terrain and can instead just map them to a sphere. So if they're too low, the terrain will actually clip into them and cause them to vanish in highlands.

Though I may be wrong about that. I remember an early picture in the beta thread that showed a city "underwater" which implies there's some conforming to the terrain.

They're not quite so bad for me (at least I don't think so) but they are off the ground. I believe it's a problem that he can't map them to the terrain and can instead just map them to a sphere. So if they're too low, the terrain will actually clip into them and cause them to vanish in highlands.

Though I may be wrong about that. I remember an early picture in the beta thread that showed a city "underwater" which implies there's some conforming to the terrain.

This is correct.

I tried this plugin but had to remove it.

The clouds are so massive you can no longer see wether you will land in the ocean or hit the terrain on kerbin.

I then had a flight to Eve and it was even worse, violet clouds you cant even see through...

for me, that was more of a visual impairment than improvement.

I tried this plugin but had to remove it.

The clouds are so massive you can no longer see wether you will land in the ocean or hit the terrain on kerbin.

I then had a flight to Eve and it was even worse, violet clouds you cant even see through...

for me, that was more of a visual impairment than improvement.

Then open up the gui and change things to your liking? (ALT+N)

And as a note, I'm all for criticism. I think it is great when people come forward with suggestions and ideas (ie. http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/55905-0-23-Release-6-7-Visual-Enhancements-Clouds-City-Lights?p=871331&viewfull=1#post871331), but when people provide toxic feedback, it ruins the atmosphere of an otherwise healthy community/thread. I know there is a decent possibility that you didn't mean to say what you did in an abrasive, negative fashion, but please, read what you post ahead of time to consider how other people may view it.

One request though: would you add an option to disable clouds in MapView? I love it in the regular flight view, but in map view it makes it harder to see the terrain and it can interfere with Kethane's grid display.

rbray89, have you thought about this? I like your mod, but I would like the option to only have the clouds show in the regular flight view, and not in map view. Thanks!

rbray89, have you thought about this? I like your mod, but I would like the option to only have the clouds show in the regular flight view, and not in map view. Thanks!

Ah, I forgot about this. I'll add it to the upcoming release.

Just throwing this out there (not a request by any means), but could the technique this mod employs be used to alter the tiling effect that is seen on the ocean texture?

I only ask as the config menu allowed me to change the detail and bump scale of the clouds to remove tiling effects.

Or is that one for shaw's Texture Replacer?

Just throwing this out there (not a request by any means), but could the technique this mod employs be used to alter the tiling effect that is seen on the ocean texture?

I only ask as the config menu allowed me to change the detail and bump scale of the clouds to remove tiling effects.

Or is that one for shaw's Texture Replacer?

I toyed around with the idea of replacing Squad's ocean shader with something that has a detail rendering mechanism (ie. my clouds). I think it is outside of my abilities though. We'll see... you never know.