[1.1.2][1-1-2] May 13-2016 EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements

rbray89

Looks great. How heavy is this on the CPU/GPU?

That's one thing I need people to help out with. My machine is pretty beefy (for a laptop at least) and I nee some people to report back what they find. I designed it so it shouldn't be too bad on a relatively average machine, but there is only one way to find out.

ima test it on my main install that i have over 100 mods/ part of mods installed and see what it does. normaly i start off at arond 2.5gb of ram used so should be a good test of the volume test

It's doing pretty well on mine especially with a bunch of mods installed. It'd be nice if you could get the edges of the cloud hexagon to fade (or just get smaller and smaller so they sort of blend into the 2D clouds). I think I may still have clouds popping up while in orbit? Not sure, I'll have to check again. I think you should work on gradual appearance though when you get close enough, as the clouds just pop up out of nowhere and that's a little bit immersion breaking.

Despite anything I say, however, this is a very beautiful mod, one that I didn't believe would be possible. Great job rbay

I nee some people to report back what they find. I designed it so it shouldn't be too bad on a relatively average machine, but there is only one way to find out.

rbray89 what configurations of KSP (Stock and Stock+Clouds and City lights or ?) and what information (and where to locate it) do you require?

I just built a new rig, and would be happy to contribute.

My system: (no overclocking)

AMD FX-8320 3.5GHz 8-core processor (SiSoft reports it running 3.7GHz and 13% Underclocked)

Asus M5A97 LE R2.0 ATX AM3+ Motherboard

G.Skill Ripjaws X series 8GB (2 x 4) 1866MHz RAM

Radeon 260X 1GB video card (soon to be upgraded to a Sapphire R9 270X 2GB video card in about 3 weeks)

Zalman CNPS5X Performa CPU cooler (92mm fan)

Windows 8.1

All Drivers up to date.

I don't know how well the stock fan would of worked (kept it for a backup) but half the customer reviews for the CPU said it ran hot, and half said cool. Since the more experienced posters were the ones who said it ran hot, I opted to just put a better cooler on it from the start.

SiSoft Sandra gives it a score of 5099

My temps after running it:

idle 18*C - 19*C, highest temps achieved 53*C, Ambient air temp 20*C

I love your mod. It gets priority during culling when I overrun the memory, I just can't live with a cloudless, uninhabited Kerbin anymore.

Bob, Jeb and Bill approve of Clouds and City lights.....:huh::cool::confused:

Edited by pslytely psycho
Additional information

rbray89 what configurations of KSP (Stock and Stock+Clouds and City lights or ?) and what information (and where to locate it) do you require?

I just built a new rig, and would be happy to contribute.

My system: (no overclocking)

AMD FX-8320 3.5GHz 8-core processor (SiSoft reports it running 3.7GHz and 13% Underclocked)

Asus M5A97 LE R2.0 ATX AM3+ Motherboard

G.Skill Ripjaws X series 8GB (2 x 4) 1866MHz RAM

Radeon 260X 1GB video card (soon to be upgraded to a Sapphire R9 270X 2GB video card in about 3 weeks)

Zalman CNPS5X Performa CPU cooler (92mm fan)

Windows 8.1

All Drivers up to date.

I don't know how well the stock fan would of worked (kept it for a backup) but half the customer reviews for the CPU said it ran hot, and half said cool. Since the more experienced posters were the ones who said it ran hot, I opted to just put a better cooler on it from the start.

SiSoft Sandra gives it a score of 5099

My temps after running it:

idle 18*C - 19*C, highest temps achieved 53*C, Ambient air temp 20*C

I love your mod. It gets priority during culling when I overrun the memory, I just can't live with a cloudless, uninhabited Kerbin anymore.

Bob, Jeb and Bill approve of Clouds and City lights.....:huh::cool::confused:

All I'm looking for is basic info. not necessarily FPS and exact system specs, but if it is laggy, snappy, processor, graphics models, OS but that's about it. Thanks for the feedback!

Edited by rbray89

just had a weird camera problem. first time launch no problem exited game to change a .cfg in MM then when launched another rocket when rocket got over clouds camera got stuck to clouds thenb rocket blew up after a bit. not sure if its the mod or a mod conflct since worked fine first time testing that now.

I've got an Intel i5 and a beefy graphics card which runs the volumetrics just fine. For some reason I only get one massive set of clouds over the Space Centre, then they blow away to the east. Not sure if it's a limitation of the dev build, or if one of my mods is causing a conflict.

Just gave your latest volumetric test a shot on OS-X (10.9), using a MacBook Pro with the integrated HD4000 graphics. No noticeable performance hit, and the volumetric clouds, aside from being just a tad bit too bright, seem to work as expected.

I've got an Intel i5 and a beefy graphics card which runs the volumetrics just fine. For some reason I only get one massive set of clouds over the Space Centre, then they blow away to the east. Not sure if it's a limitation of the dev build, or if one of my mods is causing a conflict.

What version of volumetrics are you using? the most recent version should create them over the active craft, they will blow and regenerate.

Just gave your latest volumetric test a shot on OS-X (10.9), using a MacBook Pro with the integrated HD4000 graphics. No noticeable performance hit, and the volumetric clouds, aside from being just a tad bit too bright, seem to work as expected.

I'm Very close to a lighting fix. A few more minutes I think.

here what i found so far. not much problem with alot of mods and it going just a drop a bit of fps when enter clouds 1-2 if small rocket probaly a bit more if its lot bigger.

also found there is a mod incompatibitly ill have to test and find out what mod it is. basicaly when u exit the clouds your camera trys to stay stuck to clouds but gets draged below u when u get beyound the 2km from that point your ship instantly disentegrats.

its almost like the clouds suddenly became part of my ship and th camera didnt know what to do

The hexes aren't spawning at really high altitudes any more (or not that I could see) and the shaders for night time are fitting.

God knows how you'll get the fade/transition to work, but it's looking really positive.

Any screenshots? ;)

Night launch (now with appropriately moody shading on the volumetrics):

2evtguo.png

Daytime re-entry:

5fr79k.png

290rnes.png

2djc6sx.png

lol... these appeared on launchpad unpack, blew off into the distance and were replaced with white versions.

I'm legitimately calling it a raincloud feature and not a bug. Haha!

148hcwo.png

lol... these appeared on launchpad unpack, blew off into the distance and were replaced with white versions.

I'm legitimately calling it a raincloud feature and not a bug. Haha!

http://i62.tinypic.com/148hcwo.png

Cloudy with a chance of raining kerbals? :D Too bad we are probably still far away from anything like weather^^ But Volumetric Clouds are amazing enough :D

Im still having dramas installing the new verion. Ive taken any extras out of the equation.

1. extract 6.8.1 to gamedata

2. extract volume test 4 to gamedata

Not using proot or astronomer packs,

I am using RSS though. I set cloud level to 10,000

I see city lights, and one patch of Vclouds over ksc.

Are there any configs for RSS?

I still dont see the regular 2d cloud layers.

Id really appreciate some assistance with this awesome mod.

Im still having dramas installing the new verion. Ive taken any extras out of the equation.

1. extract 6.8.1 to gamedata

2. extract volume test 4 to gamedata

Not using proot or astronomer packs,

I am using RSS though. I set cloud level to 10,000

I see city lights, and one patch of Vclouds over ksc.

Are there any configs for RSS?

I still dont see the regular 2d cloud layers.

Id really appreciate some assistance with this awesome mod.

I'll have to get around to installing RSS to toy around with settings.