[1.1.2][1-1-2] May 13-2016 EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements

rbray89

The fixed version looks great, I'm not sure what you're planning with the draw distance but it's too short right now. It's nice how it loads clouds in hexagons as you get close enough but they just pop out of nowhere right now. This is very noticeable in RSS for example or from 30-40km and up in stock. There seems to be a significant FPS hit while going through the clouds, might have to make them less dense. Are you planning to completely replace the current clouds with volumetric while in atmosphere or a mix of both?

Did you modify one of the config files? You can delete the user config file to make sure the settings are default. There may be an issue with saving the layers then.

Where can I find this config? Is it specific to the clouds mod or you mean the general cfg?

The fixed version looks great, I'm not sure what you're planning with the draw distance but it's too short right now. It's nice how it loads clouds in hexagons as you get close enough but they just pop out of nowhere right now. This is very noticeable in RSS for example or from 30-40km and up in stock. There seems to be a significant FPS hit while going through the clouds, might have to make them less dense. Are you planning to completely replace the current clouds with volumetric while in atmosphere or a mix of both?

Mixture of both. Ah, I could see how the cover may not be big enough for RSS... may have to play around with volume settings. I can't really lower density settings, else they don't look very good. I could look into a fading mechanism, but for now, they will have to pop, as having more than 3 could cause performance issues. I have to do some testing though.

Updated volume test release: https://github.com/waka324/VisualEnhancements/releases/tag/VOLUME_TEST3

Clouds will follow craft and spawn as needed. Orbit issue is no longer present

Looking great! Feels allot smoother somehow. I guess now you've got the ambient spawning done it's just a matter of the transition from the 2d clouds to these.. which could be tricky

hey since updating to 6.8.1 i dont see clouds any more. Have I missed something. Thanks.

u cant use custom packs unless u change them. the setup of the .cfg have changed for themod. read back a few pages

Looking great! Feels allot smoother somehow. I guess now you've got the ambient spawning done it's just a matter of the transition from the 2d clouds to these.. which could be tricky

Well, I probably won't be doing much with any kind of "transition", at least for a while. The 2D clouds are necessary for cover outside of the 3D blanket, and I can't expand the 3D cover too far for risk of performance issues. Right now I'm working on lighting, and that is showing some progress. I'm really digging flying over the ocean with the clouds though. Its a whole other experience, especially from the cockpit view. I didn't think that volumetric clouds would really add that much, but I think I'm proving myself wrong. :)

Well, I probably won't be doing much with any kind of "transition", at least for a while. The 2D clouds are necessary for cover outside of the 3D blanket, and I can't expand the 3D cover too far for risk of performance issues. Right now I'm working on lighting, and that is showing some progress. I'm really digging flying over the ocean with the clouds though. Its a whole other experience, especially from the cockpit view. I didn't think that volumetric clouds would really add that much, but I think I'm proving myself wrong. :)

I'm just thinking straight immersive! Can't wait to launch my shuttle through a cloud layer and above :D A mod that added subtle camera shake to IVA when using powerful engines, reentry or going through cloud banks + the atmospheric sounds mod would = Epic.

I'd say maybe one thing for the future when everything else is sorted is this 'fog' camera overlay that'd fade in and out relative to proximity to cloudlets, could make the clouds feel 'thicker' and darker inside + smoother transition (maybe?) although if you can get them to cast shadows it may have the same effect [i'm just thinking outloud here]. Either way great job so far!

One other thing maybe alter billboard density relative to player's velocity and distance to clouds to minimize excessive cpu footprint & aid 2D-3D transition at greater distances, i.e. during reentry have cloudlets spawn in low density over large area when distant / increase when nearing them :/ Just a thought..

Edited by pingopete

Ok, I dont understand though, I have proot texture pack, but in the cloudlayres/ usercloudlayers cfg the names are the same, what exactly is are the required changes? Thanks

1st there is no shader settings those have to be removed

2nd mod no longer uses radius it uses altitude

go back 3 or 4 pages u see a .cfg i posted with astromers kerbin and proots duna,eve and laythe

The transitions on the volumetric clouds are a bit too sharp and they are shaped like hexagons when high up. Is there a way you could do a fade type transition like you did with the 2D clouds when going up high.

The transitions on the volumetric clouds are a bit too sharp and they are shaped like hexagons when high up. Is there a way you could do a fade type transition like you did with the 2D clouds when going up high.

Working on lighting. Once I have that setup, they will blend perfectly with the existing clouds.

I'd say maybe one thing for the future when everything else is sorted is this 'fog' camera overlay that'd fade in and out relative to proximity to cloudlets, could make the clouds feel 'thicker' and darker inside + smoother transition (maybe?) although if you can get them to cast shadows it may have the same effect [i'm just thinking outloud here]. Either way great job so far!

I think this would be a great way to have it feel like you're "inside" the clouds!

Wow... This is looking really great!

I've been using this mod since day 1, but never bothered to take a look at the volumetric tests - beyond watching a few videos. Volumetric Test 3 shows some really nifty ideas.

Would agree that lighting needs some tweaking as they look kinda weird luminescent at night! :D And they seem to persist spawning in hexes even at very high altitudes (170k+).

It does, however, seem to hide the 'hole' generated in the 2D clouds as you pass through them.

Keep going man!

Wow... This is looking really great!

I've been using this mod since day 1, but never bothered to take a look at the volumetric tests - beyond watching a few videos. Volumetric Test 3 shows some really nifty ideas.

Would agree that lighting needs some tweaking as they look kinda weird luminescent at night! :D And they seem to persist spawning in hexes even at very high altitudes (170k+).

It does, however, seem to hide the 'hole' generated in the 2D clouds as you pass through them.

Keep going man!

Thanks! Yeah, I knew it (the lighting) would look funny, but I had to share it. Yeah, it hides the hole really, really well, and I'm super excited to see photos of things people end up doing with the clouds.

Ouch. Ah, I never tried the clouds in the mountains. I should probably do that. Also, I'll try to get clouds to light up from ship light sources, but I make no promises.

Well given that KSP engines don't give off any light IIRC unless you are talking about the light parts I don't think that's really necessary to do. I can't wait to what the clouds look like with the shading. Also a quick question, are you using sprites for these? :)

Well given that KSP engines don't give off any light IIRC unless you are talking about the light parts I don't think that's really necessary to do. I can't wait to what the clouds look like with the shading. Also a quick question, are you using sprites for these? :)

I'm thinking about part spot-lights (illuminators). I'm using the three textures (in Clouds/particle) and a special shader to create a "tri-planar" billboard particle. That is why the particles don't look like they follow the camera around.