Now-defunct-thread-that-should-not-appear-in-google-search.

Cilph

So here's a question, why is it that directional antennas are incapable of linking with omnidirectional antennas? I don't by any means expect to see anywhere near the same range with a directed/omni link as I would see with a directed/directed link, but you only have to search out ways of extending a WiFi network to see that there is an operational regime that is completely glossed over in this mod. (I'm not even talking about the DIY articles, there are plenty of commercially available directional WiFi antennas available on the market) I'm not sure about the actual math, but I imagine half the range of each, added together, might be a good rule of thumb for the current antennas in a directed/omni link. I also wonder if it'd be possible to see some more intermediate directional antenna types with much wider transmission cones such as helical antennas, Yagi-Uda antennas, Log-Periodic dipole array antennas, and Corner Reflectors before parabolic dishes. I was particularly inspired by this page while researching DIY directional WiFi antennas, and think it would add an enjoyable level of variety if some more antenna types were added and the prohibition of directed/omni links removed.

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

at RemoteTech.TimeQuadrantPatcher.Patch () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at RemoteTech.RTCore.Start () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at RemoteTech.RTCoreTracking.Start () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

think this is the error from when u go to the tracking station

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/56399-0-23-RemoteTech-2-0-23-5-Not-supported%21-Wait-for-0-24%21-Busy%21?p=1071969&viewfull=1#post1071969

I could try to fix that, if someone could explain what's happening in code there - there're almost no comments in code.

What side of the decoupler was the probe core ? and didn't you say you used a mod to change the root part ?

Probe is on the ejected side of the decoupler (so that the decoupler is left on the parent part and is no longer connected to the probe)

And I did, yes, but I also tried a completely different craft without changing the root and after saving it as a subassembly, then decoupling it on the launchpad, it failed to work.

I did some nosing about on the RT2 github page and apparently other people have had this problem and nothing's been done about it. Going to the tracking station and coming back to the craft seems to fit it, which I guess it a good enough workaround, as long as you aren't tight on time.

I have not seen this behavior yet. Does having a directional antenna on one side of the link boost the range beyond that of the omnidirectional antenna involved? If not then what I talked about is still not implemented. Having a directional antenna on one side of the link should increase the overall range because the directional antenna is capable of beaming the signal in a cone instead of letting it spread out, and in the same way it concentrates a signal originating inside that cone that would not be detectible by an omnidirectional antenna.

i see whitch bug u talking about. its more of a annoyance than any thing. me did that at first but randomloy stoped it dont know why thou. and so u know bomer rt2 is harder than rt1 that u use.

think waht i did to get around bug is befor ei decoupler the sat i have all its dishes and shuch aligned already or was that how i did it im not sure. no diea if thats how i got by that bug or not. well he working for a .24 realse of the next version of rt2. imo dont see why u still on .21 where .23 is comptelty stable. if uw ant to wait till .24 its all good

So here's a question, why is it that directional antennas are incapable of linking with omnidirectional antennas? I don't by any means expect to see anywhere near the same range with a directed/omni link as I would see with a directed/directed lin...
I have not seen this behavior yet. Does having a directional antenna on one side of the link boost the range beyond that of the omnidirectional antenna involved? If not then what I talked about is still not implemented. Having a directional antenna on one side of the link should increase the overall range because the directional antenna is capable of beaming the signal in a cone instead of letting it spread out, and in the same way it concentrates a signal originating inside that cone that would not be detectible by an omnidirectional antenna.

It sounds like you're looking for the RangeModelType option: see http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/56399?p=869861#post869861, and the following posts.

So, a bit confusing. I change "RangeModelType" to "Root", and "MultipleAntennaMultiplier" to "0.25" and I'll get the behavior I spoke of? Also, will "MultipleAntennaMultiplier" boost range on craft with more than one antenna of the same type?

Multiple antenna multiplier will work as follows:

The maximum omni range of a node = largest_range_antenna's_range + sum(all_other_antennae's_ranges) * multiplier

Root works as follows:

For two nodes A and B, where max range of A < max range of B: max distance between two nodes = rangeA + sqrt(rangeA * rangeB)

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/56399-0-23-RemoteTech-2-0-23-5-Not-supported%21-Wait-for-0-24%21-Busy%21?p=1071969&viewfull=1#post1071969

I could try to fix that, if someone could explain what's happening in code there - there're almost no comments in code.

Maybe cilph could let us know, but if that bit of code only adds time compression buttons to the track station (its parent class I mean), could that not be removed entirely?

Ok, I think I know whats happening, I think squad removed TimeQuadrantTab from being accessible, I'm going to see what happens when I remove the edits done to the time quadrant, you wont be able to see the signal delay any more, but it should fix it

EDIT

I think I fixed it by removing all references to the timequadrant, theres no more display for the delay, but that should be added by other means. I'll upload the DLL only, and will take it down if asked.

Please let me know if it actually is fixed or not, all I did was comment out 3 lines.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B18RZ39K2rRfREJYaDMzZXBEQUk/edit?usp=sharing

Edited by viperfan7

Hi,

Sorry to bugger but it seems that In Science Career Mode, or other (?), I cannot see Remote Tech working.

I go out beyond 5Mm and none of the antennas, altho targeting, do not seem to be operating; they are idle; what am I missing?

Can RT2 work from a commander in space without being connected to KSC? This would be ideal for say short to medium ranges.

Cdr Zeta

Edited by Cdr_Zeta

Hi,

Sorry to bugger but it seems that In Science Career Mode, or other (?), I cannot see Remote Tech working.

I go out beyond 5Mm and none of the antennas, altho targeting, do not seem to be operating; they are idle; what am I missing?

Can RT2 work from a commander in space without being connected to KSC? This would be ideal for say short to medium ranges.

Cdr Zeta

Most likely you haven't deployed your antennas or aimed your satellite dishes at each other correctly. Think of your array of satellites as a relay system. The plugin needs to be able to find a direct path along those relays back to Mission Control for your automated ship. So you should have at least one sat in geosync orbit directly above the KSC with at least three sat dishes. One for pointing at mission control, one for pointing at your next satellite and one for pointing at your active vessel.

Once you have Kerbin set up, then you go work on the Mun, by usually having several satellites with at least one dish pointed at it at all times. Once you leave the Kerbin SOI however you need to use the even bigger dishes, both back at home and with the probe.

All this however requires you to have fully deployed all antennas and dishes for the system to work which means you need good system to collect energy and lots of good batteries on your probes.

Hope that helps.

Edit: Oh and it's kind of broken for 0.23.5 at the moment.

Edited by Zerris

Edit: Oh and it's kind of broken for 0.23.5 at the moment.

Only the tracking station is broken, but I managed to fix it, replace the current DLL with the one I posted above, although you no longer can see the signal delay

Are you using the Communotron 32 antenna? Maximum range for that one happens to be 5 Mm.

Otherwise, can you post a map view screen shot and/or a list of the antennas and their targets?

Yes, but it's expensive. To duplicate mission control you need a large ship (crew of 6 or more), plus the large stack probe core. By the time you've unlocked all the technology for a ship like that, you'll almost certainly have a KSC-centered network in place.

I am having some trouble incorporating RT with some other mods that I have. I have looked through the posts and can not seem to find out how to do this. Many of the parts from, say AIES still work even though they have no connection. And on the other side I have antennas and dishes that dont have the ability to become disconnected. I have found posts saying to add ModuleSPU to the parts but cannot seem to figure out how to do so. I have gone into the parts that do work and tried to copy the code out but can't seem to get it to work. One of my main problems is that for some reason my RT Reflectron DP-10 is not working. Everytime I try and use it I get no connection due to it being out of power. That is even if there is plenty of power remaining. I have been working on this for hours now and can't find a solution, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Edit: AEIS, B9, FASA are the ones that I need to get to work with remote tech.

I have a whole pile of mods installed right now. I'm running real solar system, the real solarsystem overhaul, everything that it requires, plus a couple more like enhanced navbal and tac fuel balancer.

Edited by catas4trophy

I am having some trouble incorporating RT with some other mods that I have. I have looked through the posts and can not seem to find out how to do this. Many of the parts from, say AIES still work even though they have no connection. And on the other side I have antennas and dishes that dont have the ability to become disconnected. I have found posts saying to add ModuleSPU to the parts but cannot seem to figure out how to do so. I have gone into the parts that do work and tried to copy the code out but can't seem to get it to work. One of my main problems is that for some reason my RT Reflectron DP-10 is not working. Everytime I try and use it I get no connection due to it being out of power. That is even if there is plenty of power remaining. I have been working on this for hours now and can't find a solution, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Try this https://www.dropbox.com/s/u4rmssjke0oamgf/RemoteTech_AIES_3.cfg or Saxus cfg.

Edit or what mod's you using?

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/72893034/AddTelemachusRT.cfg

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/72893034/LM_Antenna_RT2.cfg

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/72893034/RemoteTech_FASA_Antennas.cfg

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/72893034/RemoteTech_Terazone.cfg

use this 1 on new games will brake connections.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/72893034/RT2_3_targets_dishes.zip

For RSS covers AIES and RT2 and Stock parts forgot who posted it sorry https://www.dropbox.com/s/m3mi5anvr2yszqj/RT2_RSS.cfg

And this should get FASA for RSS https://www.dropbox.com/s/h702r87u4n4miku/RemoteTech_RSS_FASA_Antennas.cfg

B9 have antennas now ?

Edited by Mecripp2