Now-defunct-thread-that-should-not-appear-in-google-search.

Cilph

I'm aware, but to do a release, the code would need to be in a releasable state, and it hasn't been like that since 0.22, because I'm an idiot who can't complete a feature or redesign before starting on the next.

Or your your coding fingers cant keep up with your brain.... I have a solution ROBOT HANDS! But seriously keep up the awesome work, but dont make this work. Its your hobby, if it becomes work youll lose passion for it. This is on git, if people really want this now they can learn to code, jump on git and give you a hand.

Edited by Temeriki
Not enough BOSS

I had to send Bob up to service two of the satellites that suffered from launch/design problems (KAS to the rescue!) but finally got Phase One complete of my communications network. It's designed for LKO operations and each sat has a dish that can reach to Mun and Minmus. Phase Two will be the Mun network - two satellites, one orbiting ahead the other behind along Mun's orbit.

A beautiful sight:

8hjd4u.jpg

It's always nice to setup your first proper network isn't it :)

I think you'll find that when you run your first mission to someplace out of Kerbins SOI, they'll lose orbital sync.

On my first return from Duna with RT, 2 of the 4 sats were on top of each other (having caught up because of the variance in orbital velocity), leaving a rather large gap in coverage. These days I space them, get them to within 0.1 m/s and then set them with Hyper Edit. Yes, technically its cheating, but having to micro adjust satellites every month to keep them properly spaced kind of saps the enjoyment out of it for me.

Keep up the good work Cilph

I had to send Bob up to service two of the satellites that suffered from launch/design problems (KAS to the rescue!) but finally got Phase One complete of my communications network. It's designed for LKO operations and each sat has a dish that can reach to Mun and Minmus. Phase Two will be the Mun network - two satellites, one orbiting ahead the other behind along Mun's orbit.

A beautiful sight:

http://www.blade-edge.com/images/KSA/KSC%20General/8hjd4u.jpg

Using cos relations, you can easily calculate the orbits for optimal spacing between satellites, if you are as OSD as I xD

Hi guys,

haven't played in a while, so i'm totally not updated regarding the compatibility with last 0.23.5 version. So stupid question, does Remote Tech work at the moment ? And if so, where can i find that precious download link i'm looking for ? ( just re installed the game, so it's pure and clean from old mods and stuff )

ps : please disregard any mistakes, english is not my mother tongue :)

keychain: open RealSolarSystemSettings.cfg. Make note of KSC's latitude and longitude (look for KSC). Open Remotetech2_settings.cfg. Give the ground station that lat/long.
@ keychain some of the RSS .cfg move whre mission control is so u might have to do mannaed launches to get network up first

Thanks guys this definitely lead me in the right direction. I found some lat and long information in the RemoteTech_Settings.cfg in the remotetech2 folder, plugged those coords into google earth and got some place deep in south america. no buen gusto...

so googled up the location of the IRL kennedy space center and plugged those coords into the RemoteTech_Settings.cfg and bam now i got a connection on the launch pad and can finally start actually doing stuff!

What a trip omfg.

I'm aware, but to do a release, the code would need to be in a releasable state, and it hasn't been like that since 0.22, because I'm an idiot who can't complete a feature or redesign before starting on the next.

It's ok, keep up with your own pase. Still It would be nice to have an update on the new features of the mod planned for 0.24 release.

The list of features I badly want for the new release.

1. EVA comms - currently I have to board the vessel in order to transmit EVA report. It would be nice if we have an option to transmit the data to the capsule or reroute the transmittion to Kerbin via spacecraft.

2. Standby mode - if the electric charge drops down to zero the craft will disable comms to recharge it’s batteries and when some charge is accomulated re-enable the comms, that will spare us from the silly situation where antennas consume all the power not allowing the craft to recharge and become operable. You can even loose the mission like that.

3. Re-acquiring the link - if the connection have been lost the spacecraft will attempt to connect to other satellites or Kerbin control (that will save many lost ships)

4. Remote control from mothership - currently the requirements for remote control station is 6 kerbals on the spacecraft it would be nice if we would be able to tweak this number.

5. More automatisation of antennas alignment - there are probably several routes that you can go but it would be nice to have computer that will help to automate the antennas alignments, with a lot of interplanetary missions going on it is become tedious without it. Maybe it can be separate part that will be available later in the carrier mode.

6. Better autopilot – currently the autopilot is crude at best. The MJ maneuver planner do way better job doing the burns but with RT it is not available without the constant uplink.

7. Atmospheric landing profiles – the big problem with unattended landing that parachutes deploy to early and get blown off. Yes, it is possible to tweak existing parachutes for deployment at lower heights but it would be nice to have a option in the flight computer to autodeply to parachutes and landing legs after reaching speed less than specified. Than you can actually have the unattended landing in the atmospheric worlds.

7. MechJeb integration? – Not everyone using it and some people are really against MJ but if I would have the MechJeb as my flight computer I might try to play with time delay enabled landing autopilot of MJ would allow to do landing on non-atmospheric worlds with time delay enabled.

8. Change antennas alignment from the map view – right now I have to load every ship in order to change the antennas alignments with large satellite network it takes a lot of time.

9. Upgrades to Kerbin Comm center – with better antennas are available with the game progression.

10. Aditional comm stations at the other parts of Kerbin – it’s all can be done with the satellites but still it would be nice and realistic to have comm stations at different parts of the Kerbin.

Also could you please post the list of people who donated to the project in the top post or maybe readme file for the mod? It's not a big deal but probably me and other who can only contribute to your project via donate would be pleased.

haven't played in a while, so i'm totally not updated regarding the compatibility with last 0.23.5 version. So stupid question, does Remote Tech work at the moment ? And if so, where can i find that precious download link i'm looking for ? ( just re installed the game, so it's pure and clean from old mods and stuff )

It works with recompiled dll here https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B18RZ39K2rRfREJYaDMzZXBEQUk/edit?usp=sharing it have some minor glitches such as mission time panel look little bit displaced but the rest is working fine I have not tested it deeply yet. I also heard that time delay is broken in 23.5 but since I'm not using it anyway so I don't really know if it is affected or not.

I think you'll find that when you run your first mission to someplace out of Kerbins SOI, they'll lose orbital sync.

Using cos relations, you can easily calculate the orbits for optimal spacing between satellites, if you are as OSD as I xD

Yup, spacing is a known issue with this type of setup. They all have plenty of MP tho to subtly adjust orbits as needed and I can use VOID's readouts to match orbital periods to 0.1 seconds. I don't mind the maintenance that's just part of the game for me.

Yup, spacing is a known issue with this type of setup. They all have plenty of MP tho to subtly adjust orbits as needed and I can use VOID's readouts to match orbital periods to 0.1 seconds. I don't mind the maintenance that's just part of the game for me.

I really want to make a simple 'atomic clock' mod that will let you synchronize orbits if you get the ship within a very near threshold. I've been so busy with school I haven't had a chance to mess with all of it. D:

The basic idea behind it would be that you can r-click the part to get a window where you can enter orbital parameters. The window will tell you how far off your orbit is from what you entered, and once you adjust your orbit to get everything nearly correct, you click an 'activate' button and it hyperedit-style sets your orbit to precisely the parameters you entered. Once that's working all that would be needed for sat sync is a 'copy target's orbit' button that would fill in the parameters from your selected same-SOI target rather than making you enter them manually. That way you could put your satellite up, target another satellite, copy its orbit, fiddle with it to get the angle you want, then correct your actual orbit and activate the thing to 'lock' it in.

The KSC decided they needed a low latency connection to the other side of Kerbin, which may or may not have something to do with video games and unmanned aircraft. Anyway, they came up with the Jormungand relay network:

Ai2zQaS.png

Launched with kOS, tuned to within engineer's SMA and orbital period precision manually, then locked them all to the same semimajor axis with a bit of savefile editing.

Hi guys,

ps : please disregard any mistakes, english is not my mother tongue :)

Yes, it's working fine.

On my first return from Duna with RT, 2 of the 4 sats were on top of each other (having caught up because of the variance in orbital velocity), leaving a rather large gap in coverage. These days I space them, get them to within 0.1 m/s and then set them with Hyper Edit. Yes, technically its cheating, but having to micro adjust satellites every month to keep them properly spaced kind of saps the enjoyment out of it for me.

Keep up the good work Cilph

I'll have to look into that. I like designing and launching the comms systems but I can not stand having to reposition satellites.

@shortspecialbus, RemoteTech is working with my 0.23.5. You'll want to grab the viperfan hotfix from a couple pages back.

That said, Cilph makes no guarantees; he's working hard on the feature set for the next revision, and doesn't have things in a state where he can readily build an 0.23.5 for us, so if it doesn't work, then we're on our own.

@shortspecialbus, RemoteTech is working with my 0.23.5. You'll want to grab the viperfan hotfix from a couple pages back.

That said, Cilph makes no guarantees; he's working hard on the feature set for the next revision, and doesn't have things in a state where he can readily build an 0.23.5 for us, so if it doesn't work, then we're on our own.

Great, thanks! I had gotten another hotfix but not that one. Time to learn how this works. Thanks for being able to read a bizarre autocorrect in my question, haha.

-stefan

So for some reason my network works inside Kerbin's SOI but as soon as im out of it it stops working even with the 400,000 GM antennae targeting it. I have double checked everything and everything else is working fine with the exeption of the probe that is in route to Duna. What is weird is that in map view u can see the connection line but when u read it says No connection and i cant control it. How can I fix this?

Sounds like you are using target vessel use dish to dish at that range you can't use target body the cone angle would be to bad tell you got way out or the delay is getting you what is your delay at first you will think something is wrong but it's just what ever the delay is tell the command get's there so we tend to think something is wrong.

Quick question, I understand that if you are manually piloting a spacecraft that is far away it should take some time for the command to make it from KSC to the craft, however why should mechjeb be the same? It's not like the mechjeb console is at KSC sending commands to the craft. The mechjeb console is directly attached to the craft that it is controlling; receiving all the information it needs to do everything in real-time. Wouldn't it be more realistic if certain automated functions on MechJeb were immune to signal delay. For example, if you tell it to auto-land, it would take x amount of time for that command to reach the mechjeb module, but once it gets there MJ does the autoland all by itself in realtime like normal since that function is not dependent on information or commands from KSC. You can even make it so that once it receives the autoland command it can lose contact with mission control (IIRC this happens during reentry because of ionization and whatnot which might be another neat realism feature you could add to balance things out, that is loss of signal during reentry effects) and still continue to function as normal. I know for some of you masochists out there this might be sacrilege, but you wouldn't have to make MechJeb completely immune to signal delay, only those features that would require real time input from mission control in a real-life probe with an on-board computer. If real-life probes like Curiosity can do EDL in an automated fashion without real-time input from mission control why can't MechJeb? And yes, I know all about KoS, but my point is that there is no plausible realistic reason a MechJeb console requires real-time input from KSC for some of its automated features and therefore incorporating signal delay where no signal is necessary just doesn't make sense to me. Of course I could be completely wrong and I'm open to anyone correcting me since my knowledge on many of these subjects is hardly adequate compared to most other KSPer's so please let me know what you guys think. Also it could be made optional trough a menu what type of signal delay people want to satisfy different tastes, though if that's too much work for the devs to support a feature that is considered too niche then I understand and might even get to cracking on learning how to make and edit mods and see if I can do it myself, though I imagine it'd be a daunting task.

Did you edit the files ? or you might have 2 ModuleManager *.*.* files, be sure you only have 1 in KSP/GameData is all you need.

Thank you good sir! There were two of them: 1.5 and 1.5.6. I have deleted 1.5 but that didn't help. Never edited any files. It was okay for about 3 months but suddenly all hell broken loose=) Is it a bug or my mistake?

Quick question, I understand that if you are manually piloting a spacecraft that is far away it should take some time for the command to make it from KSC to the craft, however why should mechjeb be the same?

This is a limitation of MechJeb, kOS, and other autopilot mods -- they currently work by hijacking KSP's stock control system, which means they are affected by signal delay even when they shouldn't be. I know kOS is working on RemoteTech support, which will probably be in the next version; I don't think MechJeb is planning to support RemoteTech any time soon.

If you really need a workaround, remove the RemoteTech_MechJeb.cfg file from your RemoteTech install. This will cause MechJeb to act in real time again, but at the cost of always receiving commands, even when you're out of contact.

Also, please use paragraphs. It's much easier to read. :)

This is a limitation of MechJeb, kOS, and other autopilot mods -- they currently work by hijacking KSP's stock control system, which means they are affected by signal delay even when they shouldn't be. I know kOS is working on RemoteTech support, which will probably be in the next version; I don't think MechJeb is planning to support RemoteTech any time soon.

If you really need a workaround, remove the RemoteTech_MechJeb.cfg file from your RemoteTech install. This will cause MechJeb to act in real time again, but at the cost of always receiving commands, even when you're out of contact.

Also, please use paragraphs. It's much easier to read. :)

Sorry about that, thanks for the quick response anyways. I think I'll just play with no signal delay or maybe even try out kOS. However I think that the whole loss of signal at reentry thing is still a good idea and should be far easier to implement.

;1100812']Thank you good sir! There were two of them: 1.5 and 1.5.6. I have deleted 1.5 but that didn't help. Never edited any files. It was okay for about 3 months but suddenly all hell broken loose=) Is it a bug or my mistake?

When you have 2 ModuleManager files it get's buggy and it should fix new craft made but if you had a craft in space already it will still show them like it was because of the persistent.sfs file as all the save data at the time it was saved.