Now-defunct-thread-that-should-not-appear-in-google-search.

Cilph

Here is how I got around the problem of Interplanetary communication (diagram not to scale, for visual reference only)

OmJUT6S.jpg

The Main ComSats are just your typical Geostationary constelation.

The Deep Space Network (DSN) satelites are launched on opposing polar orbits (when one satellite is at Apoapsis the other is at Periapsis). This timing doesnt have to be exact since the satellite at AP is moving much slower than the one at PE, but what does have to be exact is that they have equal orbital periods. This should always keep one of your satellites above/below the orbital plane of Kerbin allowing LOS communication with your deep space probes (you may need to setup your satellites with a higher apoapsis, I just picked 3000km arbitrarily and it have worked for me so far).

Edited by tankstrr
updated image to have sats on different orbits

Here is how I got around the problem of Interplanetary communication (diagram not to scale, for visual reference only)

http://i.imgur.com/OmJUT6S.jpg

The Main ComSats are just your typical Geostationary constelation.

The Deep Space Network (DSN) satelites are launched on opposing polar orbits (when one satellite is at Apoapsis the other is at Periapsis). This timing doesnt have to be exact since the satellite at AP is moving much slower than the one at PE, but what does have to be exact is that they have equal orbital periods. This should always keep one of your satellites above/below the orbital plane of Kerbin allowing LOS communication with your deep space probes (you may need to setup your satellites with a higher apoapsis, I just picked 3000km arbitrarily and it have worked for me so far).

Thanks for the picture, we run the same kind of comnet setup (I have a bunch of smaller relay sats in LKO for extra redundancy). I offset my polar orbits a few degrees off from 0 for some reason it just seems better that way(ie no science involved).I also run a third deeps space com on a random as hell orbit off in whatever direction it decided to launch at, helps prevent coms being blocked by kerbin

the two polar deep space probes are on my plan as well. Other than that I have three LKO satellites to communicate around Kerbin with a 45 degree dish that can reach Mun or Minmus. I plan to use this setup for my Mun network, launching in the next few days

Same with me, although I use 6 satellites. Still not figuring out why I only have intermittent coms with some craft though...

The shallow/deep plan is very similar to what I developed, but I had a third stage.

My shallow set was a constellation of six omni-equipped sats in comparatively very low orbit (think it wound up like 150km) It was pretty easy to put up a single vehicle to install all six. This gave me 360 deg coverage out to reliable comm16 range (roughly 2Mm. any farther and there's gaps in the coverage, I'd think that this might be a contributor to the loss of contact that some people might be having. More below).

I set up the middle stage @ semi-geo(kerbi)sync orbit, 1 585.18 km (or whatever that translates to as a SMA for a circular orbit) with three multi-dish sats. They still have omni antennas to connect to the low orbit network, but they're set up to provide comms to the deep space network and Kerbin's natural satellites. The deep space network was going to be two sats with at least one of the largest available dish, which would have pointed to whatever body I was working on at the time... However, 0.23.5 came along.

Anyway, the issue with intermittent coms might be coming from gaps in coverage. If you're using omnis to link geo(kerbi)sync dish sats, your omnis have to be in a high enough orbit that they provide full time coverage to each of those kerbisync sats.

Here's an illustration:

Orbitgaps_zpsfdb8b24c.jpg

Each of those gray crescent shapes represents a signal gap caused by the range of the omni antennas on a six sat constellation in an orbit slightly less than 500km. Those signal gaps will rotate as the constellation does, providing intermittent coverage to any sat in kerbisync orbit. A two-, three-, or four-kerbisync sat constellation is going to have all sats lose comms with the low network at similar times. If KSC is linked to one of these sats it will still provide an uplink... but if there isn't a link to the other two sats you'll lose comms if the uplinked sat is blocked.

Best options if this is the case is to lower the planned orbit of the kerbisync sats to semi-kerbisync, or raise the orbit of the omni-sats to ~750-800km.

Captain Party: Yes. Open RemoteTech2_settings.cfg. Note the new groundstations node. Copy the mission control node, change its name to something else, change its location you now have two ground stations.

I am not able to make that work, although I am not sure I am putting the next station in the right set of quotes...can somebody post an example of how it should look?

Thanks!

Edited by Fail-o-matic

After 0.24, I should probably take on someone to co-develop this monster. I've Starstrider42 to help with user documentation (thank god), but someone else to go over the issues list would be a nice load lifter.

That said, I'm currently (still...) not in a releasable state - gonna wrap up my dependency container this weekend and then I'll see what to do next... Coding as a hobby gets pretty annoying when coding is already a fulltime job.

Does anyone know how to force myself not to work on 20 features at once D:?, I rarely commit to github these days because I'm afraid people will try to compile an incomplete build and then ask for help...

Edited by Cilph

Does anyone know how to force myself not to work on 20 features at once D:?, I rarely commit to github these days because I'm afraid people will try to compile an incomplete build and then ask for help...

That kind of depends on how your own brain works, methinks.

What I've been doing for my own mod is making heavy use of feature branches, and using the standard "main branch must always work" rule -- that adds enough overhead to starting a new feature that it discourages me from working on more than 1-2 features at once. My record so far has been 3 simultaneous features, but those were so closely related that it was actually easier to work on them all at once.

Edited by Starstrider42

I am not able to make that work, although I am not sure I am putting the next station in the right set of quotes...can somebody post an example of how it should look?

Thanks!

Here's an example with two ground stations. Note where the braces {} are, and note that each ground station must have a different GUID.

ConsumptionMultiplier = 1.0
RangeMultiplier = 1
ActiveVesselGuid = 35b89a0d664c43c6bec8d0840afc97b2
SpeedOfLight = 3E+08
MapFilter = Omni, Dish, Planet, Path
EnableSignalDelay = False
RangeModelType = Additive
MultipleAntennaMultiplier = 1
ThrottleTimeWarp = True
DishConnectionColor = 0.9960784,0.7019608,0.03137255,1
OmniConnectionColor = 0.5529412,0.5176471,0.4078431,1
ActiveConnectionColor = 0.6588235,1,0.01568628,1
GroundStations
{
STATION
{
Guid = 5105f5a9-d628-41c6-ad4b-21154e8fc488
Name = Space Control Center
Latitude = 28.608389
Longitude = -80.604333
Height = 500
Body = 1
Antennas
{
ANTENNA
{
Omni = 7.5E+09
}
}
}
STATION
{
Guid = 5105f5a9-d628-41c6-ad4b-21154e8fc489
Name = Sternburg
Latitude = -4.946
Longitude = 39.8
Height = 500
Body = 1
Antennas
{
ANTENNA
{
Omni = 7.5E+09
}
}
}
}

Edited by NathanKell

Thanks!

This is what, I use for RSS kerbal size.

ConsumptionMultiplier = 1

RangeMultiplier = 1

SpeedOfLight = 3E+08

EnableSignalDelay = True

RangeModelType = Standard

MultipleAntennaMultiplier = 1.0

ThrottleTimeWarp = False

GroundStations

{

STATION

{

Name = Mission Control

Latitude = 28.608389

Longitude = -80.604333

Height = 75

Body = 1

Antennas

{

ANTENNA

{

Omni = 7.5E+07

}

}

}

}

This is what, I use for RSS kerbal size.

ConsumptionMultiplier = 1

RangeMultiplier = 1

SpeedOfLight = 3E+08

EnableSignalDelay = True

RangeModelType = Standard

MultipleAntennaMultiplier = 1.0

ThrottleTimeWarp = False

GroundStations

{

STATION

{

Name = Mission Control

Latitude = 28.608389

Longitude = -80.604333

Height = 75

Body = 1

Antennas

{

ANTENNA

{

Omni = 7.5E+07

}

}

}

}

Where would you add an additional ground station? That is what I am trying to do and failing.

That kind of depends on how your own brain works, methinks.

What I've been doing for my own mod is making heavy use of feature branches, and using the standard "main branch must always work" rule -- that adds enough overhead to starting a new feature that it discourages me from working on more than 1-2 features at once. My record so far has been 3 simultaneous features, but those were so closely related that it was actually easier to work on them all at once.

One of these days I'll actually stick to gitflow. I've been making progress on that at work, not so much at home.

After 0.24, I should probably take on someone to co-develop this monster. I've Starstrider42 to help with user documentation (thank god), but someone else to go over the issues list would be a nice load lifter.

That said, I'm currently (still...) not in a releasable state - gonna wrap up my dependency container this weekend and then I'll see what to do next... Coding as a hobby gets pretty annoying when coding is already a fulltime job.

The only way I have ever improved workflow on something is with a schedule and a planned approach. However this also tends to kill the fun a bit, as you restrict yourself, and when dealing with hobbies, it tends to be most fun when done at ones desired pace and interest. Given that and you already sound like you are getting a bit tired of it, I don't really think there is a way, that is unless you, unlike me, love schedules and restrictive plans (since you haven't done it this way until now, I'm guess not)

Do it the way you like to do it man, and if you need help I'm sure (I hope) there are people here with the skills and interest to assist you :)

The shallow/deep plan is very similar to what I developed, but I had a third stage.

Anyway, the issue with intermittent coms might be coming from gaps in coverage. If you're using omnis to link geo(kerbi)sync dish sats, your omnis have to be in a high enough orbit that they provide full time coverage to each of those kerbisync sats.

I actually have a three-tier system too. And the fact that my intermittent comms only affects one ship out of about a dozen is not explained by your theory.

Hi guys, I've not used RT in a while (been faffing about with planes) and I'm just getting back into it again. I see on the first post there is something about voicing opinion about backwards comparability in the version for 0.24. I've looked back over the last 20 pages or so but didn't see any sign of a discussion on this. I guess it's been discussed a while ago! Could someone please either link me to posts talking about it or even better tell me what the plans are now and what is going to break? Thanks!

I haven't played in a long time. I recently built a COMSAT and saw that the 88-88 dish had tremendous range with the same electric use as the next dish up and much lower mass. The mass needed to be increased. Edit the RemoteTech_Squad_Antennas.cfg to change the mass as shown below (add @mass = 0.75):

@PART[commDish]

{

@mass = 0.75

!MODULE[ModuleDataTransmitter] {}

@MODULE[ModuleAnimateGeneric]

{

@allowManualControl = false

}

dot... dot... dot...

Hi guys, I've not used RT in a while (been faffing about with planes) and I'm just getting back into it again. I see on the first post there is something about voicing opinion about backwards comparability in the version for 0.24. I've looked back over the last 20 pages or so but didn't see any sign of a discussion on this. I guess it's been discussed a while ago! Could someone please either link me to posts talking about it or even better tell me what the plans are now and what is going to break? Thanks!

not realy a discusion kata he just wants u to voice what u think of it.

my opinon on it is break it if u need to. i dont mind as long as a have a version that works im happy. if the community hotfixes work for .24 than im happy till u get it how cliph wants it.

Could someone tell me if Remote Tech 2 has been updated for .23.5 or if there is a community hotfix? I just want to know so I can play the interstellar quest as scott manley did. Also I am anxious for the realism that this mod provides.

He has a link on the first page to the hotfix post.