A funny thought

Sokar408

I just had a funny thought. Given that the patches keep increasing the patch index number by one, and assuming that the developers has a master plan that says they have to get to 1.0.0 that way, then we got .78 patches left before full release. With an average release time of 1 patch pr 2 months (assuming my hasty scroll on the patch release site is correct), that means in: 78 * 2 / 12 = 13 years we'll finally have 1.0.0

i wonder what the expansions will bring ... :confused:

As others have pointed out, it doesn't work how people think it works, but it definitely is not arbitrary. Software version control is a very important thing.

As I understand it:

a.xx.yy.zz

a = Full Version Release

xx = updates containing changes which are significant

yy = changes which are patches or fixes

zz = usually for release candidates or different builds

But it's better explained by Wiki, as usual:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_versioning

These threads do keep popping up though. It might be worthy of a sticky of some sort.

As others have pointed out, it doesn't work how people think it works, but it definitely is not arbitrary. Software version control is a very important thing.

As I understand it:

a.xx.yy.zz

a = Full Version Release

xx = updates containing changes which are significant

yy = changes which are patches or fixes

zz = usually for release candidates or different builds

But it's better explained by Wiki, as usual:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_versioning

These threads do keep popping up though. It might be worthy of a sticky of some sort.

They can even do a.xxxxxxx.yy.zz

If they choise to

KSP 1.0 is coming out in 2027?

Meh, I can imagine the astronauts of the future playing KSP 1.0 in an base on the moon as it comes out, while complaint that the internet loads so slow.

Or better yet future astronauts being trained using KSP

Something to keep in mind about version number systems: They don't always stay totally consistent.

I've been on a project that started with a standard aa.bb.cc.dd pattern, and ended with an aaa.bbb.ccc-x in alphanumeric format.

I think you may be miss guided. It was version .09 not .9 using that some thing we would have two versions .1

v0.1 is not the same as v0.10, in most cases. The company I work for treats them as separate versions, even though they're the same mathematically.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.