How many Kerbals do you have in need of rescuing?

Fenris

Well, I'm up to 5 now.

Jebediah was the first one .... isn't he always? It was a simple mission to orbit the mun and come back .... I forgot to deploy the solar panels, so now he is in a highly elliptical orbit (ok, so I had other problems as well) around Kerbin with half a tank of fuel and no energy. Lesson learned ... put a few OX-SAT panels on each ship.

Soon after Bill went to the Mun to land on it, I mean why not, Jeb's mission went so well what could possibly go wrong ... I added a few cheap solar panels in case I forgot to deploy the main one's after all. Well he's sitting on the Mun in an undamaged craft .... and no fuel. The 2 unmanned rescue attempts were able to land within 2k of him ... well, if you include crashing as landing. Lesson learned LTP, oh yeah and more fuel.

So I got to Jool in an unmanned probe, we wont talk about not realizing a certain moon has an atmosphere and getting too far into it for my nukes to get out. Although I did get a lot of science before I crashed. So I figured why not send a manned mission there (not to land, just to look around and scan) and have twice the fuel that my probe had. Well I had a lot of trouble getting there and had to burn way to long even for nukes. Anyway, got there saw Jool and left so I'd have enough fuel to get back ...... Bob, Bobsey, and Mattop are now in orbit around the sun with no fuel. Lesson learned don't over estimate my fuel economy.

Well, I plan on rescuing them in the next day or so and unmanned mission are so boring ... so I'll probably be up to 10 stranded Kerbals by Wednesday.

Well, I'm up to 5 now.

Jebediah was the first one .... isn't he always? It was a simple mission to orbit the mun and come back .... I forgot to deploy the solar panels, so now he is in a highly elliptical orbit (ok, so I had other problems as well) around Kerbin with half a tank of fuel and no energy. Lesson learned ... put a few OX-SAT panels on each ship.

Soon after Bill went to the Mun to land on it, I mean why not, Jeb's mission went so well what could possibly go wrong ... I added a few cheap solar panels in case I forgot to deploy the main one's after all. Well he's sitting on the Mun in an undamaged craft .... and no fuel. The 2 unmanned rescue attempts were able to land within 2k of him ... well, if you include crashing as landing. Lesson learned LTP, oh yeah and more fuel.

So I got to Jool in an unmanned probe, we wont talk about not realizing a certain moon has an atmosphere and getting too far into it for my nukes to get out. Although I did get a lot of science before I crashed. So I figured why not send a manned mission there (not to land, just to look around and scan) and have twice the fuel that my probe had. Well I had a lot of trouble getting there and had to burn way to long even for nukes. Anyway, got there saw Jool and left so I'd have enough fuel to get back ...... Bob, Bobsey, and Mattop are now in orbit around the sun with no fuel. Lesson learned don't over estimate my fuel economy.

Well, I plan on rescuing them in the next day or so and unmanned mission are so boring ... so I'll probably be up to 10 stranded Kerbals by Wednesday.

Here's some help.

First of all, fire the engines on Jeb's ship. It'll produce some electricity. Use that electrical power to bring Jeb home.

Also, don't bring kerbals onto rescue missions.

Bring a probe core, lots of solar panels, and a 3-man pod (be sure to EVA kerbals out beforehand).

Zero, amazingly.

Jeb's in the space station I'm putting together. He has power and fuel and tons of solar panels, though nothing with re-entry capabilities. That's intentional though, an escape craft is on the list for the station.

Three grey suits are hanging out in lunar orbit, but they have power (but no solar panels, whoops), they were the refuelers for a rescue squad. Brought 'em home just now, before they ran out of power.

That's it for manned missions.

Now earlier... The first lunar landing landed on a steep crater wall, fell over and shattered. Only the cockpit survived (I use the spaceplane cockpit for single seat stuff for just this reason).

The first rescue mission did exactly the same thing, it just left a larger cockpit behind when it was done stranding itself and its pilot.

The second rescue mission had a rather wider base and landed in a flatter area, it successfully brought the first two (Bill and Bob, if I recall. Jeb was Somewhere Else at the time. Ike maybe) pilots home, though it was a near thing. It had a solid 50 m/s of D-V left when I got it onto an aerobraking path. That last 50 m/s was enough to prevent the parachutes from ripping the craft to bits (or worse, tearing off).

This is all on my current career game I started when I finally got my hands on 0.22. In my 0.21 game, plenty :P

I did the same thing but I was not as ambicious and just got them stuck at Mun. One funny event was I launched off of MUN and didn't have enough fuel for orbit. At PE, Jeb jumped ship and used his retro rocket pack to obtain orbit. He floated like in the movie gravity, until I got enough science for the crew container. took a unmanned probe ship with the crew container and collected Jeb, then intercepted Bob and Bill in their stuck ships.

I really like the new challenges with the science... making me relearn and enjoy flying again. I went way too deep with mech jeb and got bored...

Zero, though admittedly I haven't done a crewed interplanetary mission yet. All of my cis-Munar missions, however, had dedicated search & rescue support... only used twice, and only losing one crew doing so. (Jetpack accident on Minmus.) I've had some fatal crashes, though.

-- Steve

Here's some help.

First of all, fire the engines on Jeb's ship. It'll produce some electricity. Use that electrical power to bring Jeb home.

Also, don't bring kerbals onto rescue missions.

Bring a probe core, lots of solar panels, and a 3-man pod (be sure to EVA kerbals out beforehand).

I feel dumb, I could have sworn I tried the engines before and they wouldn't fire up. Thanks :)

As of this posting? Three.

The original Three, actually. You see, one got stranded trying to get home from his fly-by of Eve, and ran out of propellant in interplanetary space. Two others were sent in a bigger craft to rescue him, but they ran out of gas too... Now I need to get more Science so I can afford the parts I need to build a proper rescue vehicle...

As of right now 0.

I have one kerbal that doesn't have a way home but he is on a space station with lots of snacks so he should be ok until I get around to putting in return vehicals (still need to finish designing/building the main docking part). Also I am using the orbital construction mod and the station is stocked with enough parts/fuel for him to build a return craft if he really needs to.

I do get a kerbal stranded now and then but honestly, when things go wrong for me there is usually nothing to recover.

Zero. When one gets stuck my space program grinds to a halt until they're rescued.

The only exemption so far has been when I stranded Jeb, Bob, and Bill around Moho and decided to not go right to them and instead develop my Kethane Refinery on Minmus so I would have an easier time getting fuel to them. But I was making that refinery specifically for the purpose of rescuing.

At least that's what we told them while they were stranded in low Moho oribit for a year :D

I could say that i need to rescue Jebediah for anulating our Giant Mun Flyby ONLY vehicle that actually landed and almost did it back but, I said Jebediah is there so he can deal whit it (At this moment jebediah lowered 1,500,000m using the power of getting out and push!).

we already got a rendezvous whit him to lower its orbit but it really didnt help (No docking ports were avaible when launched the Flyby).

Our target is retrieve the entire craft and Jeb really wants to burn back home in it!.

I'm yet to lose or strand a kerbal on this save. I'm still doing interplanetary probe missions, when I start manning them things will probably change. I just watched one of my probes g-shear into pieces on Eve when the parachutes deployed, so Jedediah can't be feeling too secure about my ship building capabilities right now.

If you have a kerbal on an orbiter that you forgot to deploy solar panels on, I believe you can EVA a kerbal and he can manually deploy solar panels. Have to double check this tonight.

Yes you can, assuming you didn't block the hatch with something (I do this now and then with radial chutes...)

That said I now have a stranded kerbal. Jeb flew a transport up to my station to crew it now that I am dubbing it finished and is currently stranded... About 3km away from the KSC floating in his command pod. Decided to let him sit for a while.

I'm flying no more manned missions until I've the tools and skills to get kerbals to the mun and return them safely to kerbin.

First part I can do, flyby I can do (and have done), but I can't yet create a lander with enough fuel to return, let alone a manned one.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.