How many Kerbals do you have in need of rescuing?

Fenris

I'm flying no more manned missions until I've the tools and skills to get kerbals to the mun and return them safely to kerbin.

First part I can do, flyby I can do (and have done), but I can't yet create a lander with enough fuel to return, let alone a manned one.

Try using an asparagus-staged lander. I have a lander that user 5 lots of 2-high tier 0 fuel tanks. Launched with a further asparagus of 1 4-tall stack of Tier 0 tanks with three outer tanks of 3-tall then another three of 2-tall then another three of one-tall (This was before I got fuel lines!). If you have fuel lines then keep the inner but have four lots of four tanks as the outside stage all feeding fuel into the central stage. Obviously each stack has an engine attached (The outers have an LV-30, the inner has an LV-45)

None. I have a bunch manning my space station, Bill and Jeb are on the way to Duna - everyone have abundance of fuel and power. Early in career mode Jeb spent couple of days stuck in LKO, but i've put aside all other projects and got him back home ASAP. No one gets left behind (^_^)b

Currently 2 orbiting Moho.

It was almost 1 orbiting and one landed - I didn't actually have enough fuel on the lander to get into orbit, but I did have RCS fuel. I used all the fuel, jettisoned the engine and tank and used RCS to get into orbit.

Now I'm going to have to send a rescue mission, I may as well set up a station there.

Only one, in Eve. He could be worse, life support plugin can get him alive there while... while I send him a bigger ship to spend there the rest of his sad life, as he's the only survivor of the original crew of three... catastrophic mission planning!! xD

Zero! unless you count my first probe. The "Heavy POS Mk1" is currently in orbit around Kerbin with lots of fuel on-board and no, nada, zero, zilch, power on-board, and no solar panels. Nor have I crashed on my multiple landings on the moons (still new), although I can't say the same for a probe I landed on the Mun, which had just enough fuel to get it high enough to fall straight back to the Mun and destroy it self.

Try using an asparagus-staged lander. I have a lander that user 5 lots of 2-high tier 0 fuel tanks. Launched with a further asparagus of 1 4-tall stack of Tier 0 tanks with three outer tanks of 3-tall then another three of 2-tall then another three of one-tall (This was before I got fuel lines!). If you have fuel lines then keep the inner but have four lots of four tanks as the outside stage all feeding fuel into the central stage. Obviously each stack has an engine attached (The outers have an LV-30, the inner has an LV-45)

the problem is getting a lander with enough fuel to the Mun... I've when getting there either fuel to land or fuel to return to Kerbin. It's the launcher, not the lander :)

I currently have 4 kerbals stranded in Moho orbit.

And yes, Jeb is one of them.

He and Bill got stucked planet side and were waiting for a rescue. The rescue vessel arrived with 2 fellow kerbonauts aboard, landed close-by, took Jeb and Bill aboard and took off to orbit.

And then... it's missing about 500m/s of Dv to reach Kerbin.

So now I have to decide if I wanna try to reach Eve or if I stay put and wait for a second rescue vessel.

Since I started this current save since .22 I haven't had to perform a rescue mission yet. Jeb and Bill are happily roving around the Mun right now.

But in my previous save I sent a manned mission to Mojo....

...they ran out of fuel after obtaining a highly excentric orbit around Mojo. Had the fuel still in the lander so I did succesfully land, but there was no way it could make it back to Kerbin on it's own.

So I had to send another mission to rescue them which included a nifty orbital collision, but left one ship still functional...

linked up and transfered the fuel to the broken ship and I limped back to Kerbin, but had to leave Jeb in a high elliptical orbit around Kerbin in ship out of fuel. I got rest of the crew back home with the help of good ole' monopropellant.

Finally I sent up a final rescue mission to go grab Jeb and bring him home in the middle of the desert because I failed at hitting an ocean. (I was almost out of fuel on this one too because I used my "Space Taxi" ship which was only designed to ferry crew to my station 250km in orbit, not 15000km.) so... Monopropellant FTW!

While the original 3 are safely stashed in LKO on my space station, I've probably stranded close to 30 Kerbals across various planets. And I know for a fact I've got 10 stranded on Minmus. I broke a rover with 3 onboard, then I smashed two rescue planes, stranding 2 more there. Finally, I tried setting down a Space Base for them, along with 5 friends, but my rocket ran out of fuel and stranded 5 more with a somewhat smashed space base. I get the feeling they're waving off any further attempts to colonize Minmus.

Don't know why I have such troubles with Minmus. Plunking Kerbals on the Mun or on various planets, no problem. Ask for Minmus and it's a one way trip.

One way is to launch the rescue craft in the same launch window as the main ship :)

My Jool mission was followed by an unmanned ship with 8 rovers for landing on the poles of Layhte, Vall and Bop, this was launched with spare fuel as I suspected the Jool mission would get fuel issues and the ship was pretty lightweight.

Rescue missions are fun!

I added mods for grappling hooks and such, as well as movable arms etc so I could try to pull off some really fancy rescue missions.

As yet, after a few tries, none have worked but I've had fun trying.

I think the toughest one is Jeb waiting next to his crashed pod on Eve.

When playing that Scenario that you have to save Jebediah from crashing into the Mün, I missed the orbit and I ended up with him orbiting Kerbol with no fuel left. And no matter what, Kerbin never approached him.

I had a game a long time ago with Jeb being stuck in an elliptical orbit around Kerbin and out of fuel. He was so close to the atmosphere but just kept missing it. So in desperation I started flipping my rocket end over end and guessed at when to release his command module .. trying to throw it into the atmosphere .... it worked! He just skimmed the atmosphere enough to slow down, so after several orbits he was finally able to to hit reentry. :) I'm not sure if my plan worked or if he was in a decaying orbit anyway .... I'm going with my plan worked lol

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.