PorkWorks dev thread [Habitat Pack] [SpaceplanePlus]

Porkjet

That's rather unfortunate for me, as I've been hoping for a side by side seat arrangement.

I'm going to agree with you there. It's a shame that the main pilot view has that large beam blocking the view directly in front of it. I think if both seat were placed side by side roughly between where the seats are now, there'd be room for them and the console can go straight across the front. And I hope Porkchop has plans for all that extra space? The second pilot looks a bit odd just sat basically in the middle of a large area.

Just my honest opinion :P

That's rather unfortunate for me, as I've been hoping for a side by side seat arrangement.

I concur. I mean, come on, if they can build a SxS cockpit into a Su-27, surely we can build one here:

Russian_Air_Force_Sukhoi_Su-34.jpg

I'm really glad you guys are saying that! Because I think so too and have changed it to side by side already.

These are the points this needs to fullfill, which made it really difficult to place them side by side:

- must be able to view beyond the horizon through front window (can't place kerbals too low)

- must be able to see at least 90° to the left and right through side windows (can't place kerbals too far behind)

- kerbal heads must not poke through the ceiling

- kerbals must have reasonable distance to eachother

This cockpit was allways supposed to have the pilots next to eachother, but I largely underestimated the humongous foreheads that sit on top of a kerbals eyes, naturally its really hard with these sleek cockpits to have a kerbal see the horizon and not poke through the ceiling. For human proportions it would be no problem at all!

So when I first tried to arrange them, it was impossible to fullfill these goals and have them not poke through the ceiling, so I went with the inline arrangement.

But, really, it's just not cool.

I had no choice but to pull a Tardis and make it bigger on the inside! Which is actually possible thanks to the fact that IVA geometry is rendered on top of everything else no matter what. It's also not obvious when viewing from the inside, noone will ever notice. Unfortunetely this took a lot of time redoing all the consoles and I'll also have to redo most of the UV maps now which I thought were finished before I changed my mind... It's just crazy how time consuming this damn cockpit is!

I had no choice but to pull a Tardis and make it bigger on the inside! Which is actually possible thanks to the fact that IVA geometry is rendered on top of everything else no matter what. It's also not obvious when viewing from the inside, noone will ever notice. Unfortunetely this took a lot of time redoing all the consoles and I'll also have to redo most of the UV maps now which I thought were finished before I changed my mind... It's just crazy how time consuming this damn cockpit is!

Woah really? I didn't know that.... That kicks butt because although I was ready to accept the inline arrangement, side by side Kerbals is much better for that cockpit. Any chance we could turn it into a 4 Kerbal cockpit?

Actually, yes. As you could see there is a lot of space left in that thing. I wouldn't do it for balancing reasons tho. I'll put cargo holders there instead.

Newbie spaceplane designer question: Do wings allow fuel crossfeed, or do I need to have fuel lines from tanks at the outer edges of the wings ?

I think they do allow crossfeed. Maybe use some fuel lines below the wings anyway just to be safe.

I had no choice but to pull a Tardis and make it bigger on the inside! Which is actually possible thanks to the fact that IVA geometry is rendered on top of everything else no matter what.

I was wondering about that last night. I almost asked if you could rescale the interior independently of the outside.

Well it's good to see you have a solution. Just don't do an ALCOR level of an interior and your sanity should be fine.

Just don't do an ALCOR level of an interior and your sanity should be fine.

ReAkJp5.png

Sometimes, the attention to detail alexustas has is scary. And that picture is of one of the lesser detailed areas. And half the stuff doesn't even do anything, it's literally just for show..

As ever, looking forward to the interiors, Porky! Really glad you went with the side-by-side configuration and I'd rather have that and a TARDIS than inline, to be honest.

Edited by ObsessedWithKSP

Sometimes, the attention to detail alexustas has is scary. And that picture is of one of the lesser detailed areas. And half the stuff doesn't even do anything, it's literally just for show..

As ever, looking forward to the interiors, Porky! Really glad you went with the side-by-side configuration and I'd rather have that and a TARDIS than inline, to be honest.

http://i.imgur.com/ReAkJp5.png

​Only half???

Say, could we get a nose based off of the current cockpit nose that's a dedicated intake instead, with something like an SAS system, monopropellant, or liquid fuel in it? I mean, it's nice having the in-line cockpit, but when you use it, you don't have a good nose-cone for the space-plane.

Cool! Wlll the same IVA be used for the inline cockpit?

Nope, I have to make another one for that from scratch.

Say, could we get a nose based off of the current cockpit nose that's a dedicated intake instead, with something like an SAS system, monopropellant, or liquid fuel in it? I mean, it's nice having the in-line cockpit, but when you use it, you don't have a good nose-cone for the space-plane.

Yes, something like that. I've already started to model a bunch of nose and tail pieces.

Nope, I have to make another one for that from scratch.

Yes, something like that. I've already started to model a bunch of nose and tail pieces.

Yeah, even longer fuselage sections (6 meter long?) would be nice for lowering the part count, and a drone nose would be nice too. About the only things I can think of that don't get too specialized. (Science crew bay, tri-coupled tail, etc)

Yo, PorkJet, huge fan of this pack here. I have a few questions / suggestions, would really like to see what you think:

• Is there any chance you can make texture maps for KerbPaint, so we can paint SpaceplanePlus parts?

• Have you looked into / are you aware of / do you intend to modify anything in your parts regarding the issues with the 64-bit Windows build for KSP? Using some of or at least one misterious part of yours brings up a collision mesh error that crashes 64bit Win KSP ):

• Are you planning on making more specialized intakes? SABRE's downward angled intakes (great for high-altitude, high speed flight where you have to point your craft up to compensate for the lack of lift we get in Kerbin's upper atmosphere) and some surface-mounted intakes (see also) would be cool!

• Any chance we're going to see some jet engines too? I'd love to see super specialized engines like scramjets.

Thanks a bunch for SpaceplanePlus, I really love it! Keep it up!

edit:

• Oh, oh! Also, are cockpit IVAs planned?

Yo, PorkJet, huge fan of this pack here. I have a few questions / suggestions, would really like to see what you think:

• Is there any chance you can make texture maps for KerbPaint, so we can paint SpaceplanePlus parts?

• Have you looked into / are you aware of / do you intend to modify anything in your parts regarding the issues with the 64-bit Windows build for KSP? Using some of or at least one misterious part of yours brings up a collision mesh error that crashes 64bit Win KSP ):

• Are you planning on making more specialized intakes? SABRE's downward angled intakes (great for high-altitude, high speed flight where you have to point your craft up to compensate for the lack of lift we get in Kerbin's upper atmosphere) and some surface-mounted intakes (see also) would be cool!

• Any chance we're going to see some jet engines too? I'd love to see super specialized engines like scramjets.

Thanks a bunch for SpaceplanePlus, I really love it! Keep it up!

edit:

• Oh, oh! Also, are cockpit IVAs planned?

Hello Oicani,

Kerbpaint - I havn't thought of it, dunno, maybe at some point.

64bit KSP - havn't looked into that, apparently its quite experimental and probably there's nothing wrong with sp+ parts so I'm not too worried about it right now.

angled intakes - I'll probably make some kind of angle mount part, which cou can use to attach regular intakes at an angle, and also engines and a lot of other things. I've also planned to do some more surface mounted intakes, including something that would be very similar to that waverider scramjet intake.

Engines - Yes! I have plans for some fancy engines, including scramjets! It may take a while before I get to do those tho.

IVA's - Yupp, working on them right now!

Is that...

A radial cockpit?

Bingo!!! I foresee that this will be the best part I'll ever make.... :o Or not lol... I'm looking forward to it tho.

I can also see a M2 mission support module that is essentially a modified short cargo bay. The bay doors would open up to reveal solar panels, and the inner surface of the door would pivot outward to extend the panels. The doors them selves would pivot to follow the sun.

Here's a picture of conformal solar arrays, though they're not built into the doors themselves:

_47692982_x37b_info466.gif

Inside the service bay you could have batteries, SAS unit, monopropellant tanks too.

Do you have any plans to make parts for Kerbal Interstellar, such as a 1.25m mk2 compatible generator? If not, would you mind too much if I did? :)

Hey Porkjet, first I would like to thank you for this mod. It's really beautiful and I think fits KSP perfectly!

Do you plan doing internal landing gears? I know that B9 have them, I use them with your parts, but I would love to see a input from you, I love your art style.:)

Cheers!

Another idea, for a deep space variant. What about a bicoupler version that can mount two probe-sized engines (intended to be ion) between the main drive braces? The idea being that the aircraft can leave Kerbin orbit on ion drives and go elsewhere, placed up at the top of the aircraft line? Possibly also a xenon fuselage with 2/4 probe engine mounts installed as semi-shielded mounts on the top and bottom? It'd be a bit of an edge case, but with as powerful as kerbal ion drives are, I can see them getting used as an in-system deep space engine for a space plane.

Addendum: Oooor, as I just now thought of it, instead of a whole fuselage, why not radial auxiliary engine mounts? Micro turbojets for supplemental thrust for landing, or they can mount probe engines instead! Less modeling, more usefulness!

Addendum-Addendum: Oooh! Oooh! Darn it, why do I keep on having interesting ideas? What about a 2.5 meter adaptor tail section for mounting a small-sized aircraft on top of a rocket to put a rescue vessel in orbit?

Edited by CptRichardson