Kerbal Life Spans?

The other day I was making my return trip from Ike, and while waiting an long time for an encounter at full warp (I'm not very good yet so it took a while) I noticed my mission had been going for about 10 years Kerb time. I thought to myself then, what would the Kerbal Life span be, and could we implement it as a feature or mod? I personally think it would be quite cool for Kerbals to have life spans, so then you could no longer leave a kerbal on Eve , or orbiting the sun for 70 years or so while you do what ever else in that save. Would make long missions more interesting, especially if you could see your Kerbal aging or something. just an Idea/rant that I had and thought I would bring it up here. Hopefully this is the right place, as I don't think it belongs in mods or suggested features as it's really just me postulating that it would be cool and add a different aspect of gameplay. If Kerbals had a life spawn, how long do you think they would be? :)

I don't think I like the idea of my crew dying on their way to Jool based on some arbitrary age limit.

If your ships take more than a lifetime to go to Jool, consider improving your orbital mechanics knowledge.

If your ships take more than a lifetime to go to Jool, consider improving your orbital mechanics knowledge.

No it generally takes the 280 odd days. But I like to use the same crew for many missions. I feel like them dying midway would be considered random failures, which I am very against.

No it generally takes the 280 odd days. But I like to use the same crew for many missions. I feel like them dying midway would be considered random failures, which I am very against.

They won't die midway, unless you plan incredibly poorly and put ailing 70-year old Kerbals on a space mission. This suggestion adds a reason to hire more astronauts, rather than just recycling the ones you have until their skills increase to infinity.

They're plants; they live on photosynthesis (hence the green color) and they also urinate water so they have a source of water too.

Bear Grylls style.

I had to, OK?

Grylls didn't need to self enema dirty water on T.V., he just needed a trusted Kerbal around.

Um, can I just put something in?

Let's say you have a 3 Kerb ship. One gets old or sick and dies. So, if you planned the crew right, the remaining two could "procreate" and make a baby space kerbal which would eventually grow up? If there is extra space on the ship then I guess you can keep breeding kerbals or something. Right click Jeb then right click Cassie or whatever, then press breed and wait a few months?

Actually that would be really awkward. I'll post this though for humour's sake.

Kinda what I was getting at, though I was leaning more towards space colonization, like having a large ship with a habital area where several Kerbals could live, and over time create more Kerbals. This is sounding more like a mod suggestion then a feature suggestion now though haha.

Let's say you have a 3 Kerb ship. One gets old or sick and dies. So, if you planned the crew right, the remaining two could "procreate" and make a baby space kerbal which would eventually grow up? If there is extra space on the ship then I guess you can keep breeding kerbals or something. Right click Jeb then right click Cassie or whatever, then press breed and wait a few months?

Actually that would be really awkward. I'll post this though for humour's sake.

The only problem:

[ground control] Come on baby jeb, it's time to get back to Kerbin!

[baby jeb] NOOO! I want to stay on Duna!

Another problem:

[baby bob] Ground controoool! Baby Jeb ate all of my cookies! Tell him that's mean!

PS: I put baby Jeb and Baby Bob because I was too lazy to invent their names.

• 2 years later...

It would be absolutely fantastic if kerbals had a life span of about 80-85 years (make them randomly die sometime during that period). This would force you to either make very fast missions or make use of the DeepFreeze mod. Consider this my suggestion to any mod developers.

9 hours ago, Benji13 said:

It would be absolutely fantastic if kerbals had a life span of about 80-85 years (make them randomly die sometime during that period). This would force you to either make very fast missions or make use of the DeepFreeze mod. Consider this my suggestion to any mod developers.

Totally agree! I will have more incentive to return kerbals from my gilly missions and switch crew on stations. Old thread though.

Do Kerbals even reproduce sexually?  They have sexes but no children, like Eldar.  This leads me to think they don't age and only very occasionally give birth.

Perhaps they need large impacts or high levels of raditiation to trigger their planetary fertility festival?

Edited by Jonfliesgoats

On 11/10/2013 at 10:45 PM, Azoth said:

The other day I was making my return trip from Ike, and while waiting an long time for an encounter at full warp (I'm not very good yet so it took a while) I noticed my mission had been going for about 10 years Kerb time. I thought to myself then, what would the Kerbal Life span be, and could we implement it as a feature or mod? I personally think it would be quite cool for Kerbals to have life spans, so then you could no longer leave a kerbal on Eve , or orbiting the sun for 70 years or so while you do what ever else in that save. Would make long missions more interesting, especially if you could see your Kerbal aging or something. just an Idea/rant that I had and thought I would bring it up here. Hopefully this is the right place, as I don't think it belongs in mods or suggested features as it's really just me postulating that it would be cool and add a different aspect of gameplay. If Kerbals had a life spawn, how long do you think they would be? :)

It would be sad if the kerbals died R.I.P Bob,Jeb,Bill,Valentina

On 11/12/2013 at 2:32 AM, Zuni said:

"Val!" Jeb quickly floated into the room "Bob's dead".

"Oh no" Vall replied. "Oh well though he was kinda ugly anyway, time to make another, we could name it Bob II"

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.