I always tough was only a joke

FellipeC

The one time I tried this, I needed to kill several hundred km from my periapsis. I didn't have the nice flat surface to push on that you had. I gave up after a few pushes netted me about 50km. I then staged a rescue attempt :)

I discarded a rescue mission because this craft was returning from Dres. If they don't enter on Kerbin, the ship will end on a sun orbit.

Take this with a grain of salt, but Harv said something about having monopropellant-powered EVA jetpacks in the 0.23 update (you can see it in the 'Other' section on his most recent rev blag). Is it possible that getting out and pushing no longer is a viable option?

As long as you get monopropellant included in the capsule... 200-300% maybe?

Take this with a grain of salt, but Harv said something about having monopropellant-powered EVA jetpacks in the 0.23 update (you can see it in the 'Other' section on his most recent rev blag). Is it possible that getting out and pushing no longer is a viable option?

Yes, I noticed that too. That does appear to be the case.

Though I suspect what it amounts to is that if you reboard your capsule, your EVA pack is either

A) Not going to refill automatically and you must opt to do it, using a small amount of monopropellant to refill it

B) Will refill automatically, using a small amount of monopropellant

Hopefully it is really small, like 1 unit or something. However, it seems welcome to me. Both it removes the cheaty "you have unlimited propellant" aspect of pushing, boarding, EVA, push, board, etc and seems slightly realistic.

I heard of this update too, and to be very honest, its much more fair!

You can still push if its in there, but it would be even more nail biting if its shared fuel... oh, just a little bit more :)

Had to do one after my first Mun landing in 0.22. Run out of fuel and had to lower Pe from 80 Km. You don't want to do it with other stuff than an pod or miniature lander.

For larger ships, using the rcs before burn is always an good idea. you get some dV and you reduce the mass so you want to use it before the main burn.

For interplanetary missions the lander is an good second stage if you run short of fuel, during carrier I tended to use one man landers with an twist.

CExL4cU.png

Top is an drop pod for the second crew member, normally it would be dropped from mothership with one of the two man crew before circulate after aerobraking, however the lander can also carry it, as lander has over 1000 m/s with both science module an pod it make a nice second stage.

Hopefully this will indeed be nerfed in the future, as it's always felt a bit cheaty to me. (So I only do it when it's within a burn or two's capabilities.)

Maybe jetpack RCS can only be refueled from RCS tanks? Refueling could work just like moving fuel between tanks,.

Click on the RCS tank, click on the command pod, transfer RCS to kerbal inside command pod.

Happened to me today, on Mun return.. escaped the mun but was left with a 6000km periapsis :(

my two kerbalnauts took turns pushing it all the way down to 35km...

Took about 2 hours! Not exactly the most exciting livestream I`ve ever done :( at least I stuck with it and got my boys home

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.