[1.0][Release-5-0][April 28, 2015] Active Texture Management - Save RAM!

rbray89

Thank you.Thank you.Thank you.Thank you.Thank you.Thank you.Thank you.Thank you.Thank you.Thank you.Thank you.Thank you.Thank you.Thank you.Thank you.Thank you.Thank you.Thank you!

Edited by DuoDex
Excessive thankyous.

According to the *.log it crashes any time it tries to load and compress an image because of an "Out of Memory" error. Is there any lighter way to compress the textures before loading the game?

Best strategy is to probably pull out your heavier mods (out of the GameData folder), start up KSP and let ATM do the compression of what is left, then put the heavier mods back in and let ATM do more compression.

Best strategy is to probably pull out your heavier mods (out of the GameData folder), start up KSP and let ATM do the compression of what is left, then put the heavier mods back in and let ATM do more compression.

I don't think I have heavy mod, the only ones with some pieces are:

Dmagic Orbital Science,

Procedural Fairings,

Deadly Reentry.

I'll try with the stock game as soon as i can, but considering that the game crashes even while compressing flags i don't expect different results...

That's why i asked for another compression method.

(Other mods i have are:

FAR,

Construction time,

Flight manager for reusable stages,

Alarm clock,

Science Alert,

Scene jumper,

AddOn checker,

AddOn controller,

Serious Kerbal Business,

Stratagem.)

is there a way to exclude planets from this mod?

I think it may be the cause of my telescope generating not good images

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/65401284/Jool1y-243d-1h-2m-34s.png

Unless you have installed a planet pack, or use Texture Replacer, ATM will not touch planets. It only deals with textures in GameData, not KSP_Data.

I'm trying to exclude the BoulderCo/CityLights folder from ATM, because the textures become absolutely horrible too look at, especially at lower altitudes. So far I've tried to add the folder to the override section of the boulderco.cfg-file and the ActiveTextureManagerConfig.cfg-file, neither attempt worked. Can someone please show me what to do?

In the override section in the BoulderCo.cfg-file I wrote:

BoulderCo/CityLights/.*

{

compress = false

mipmaps = false

scale = 1

max_size = 0

make_not_readable = false

}

And in the ActiveTextureManagerConfig.cfg-file:

.*/CityLights/.*

{

compress = false

mipmaps = false

scale = 1

max_size = 0

}

With those mods you really shouldn't have RAM issues with or without ATM unless you have less than 4 gigs of RAM.

yes indeed i have 2.5GB of RAM

At which point you should try running ATM on a stock install and then adding mods.

I tried to run ATM on the stock game but there is always the same problem.

Here is the *.log file with all the informations:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/pn5zdb9irozj0d0/KSP%202-21-2015-17-33-33.log?dl=0

...than the game crashes and it gaves me the "too many heap sections" error.

yes indeed i have 2.5GB of RAM

I tried to run ATM on the stock game but there is always the same problem.

Here is the *.log file with all the informations:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/pn5zdb9irozj0d0/KSP%202-21-2015-17-33-33.log?dl=0

...than the game crashes and it gaves me the "too many heap sections" error.

1, Download the x86 version of this (aggressive trades texture quality for RAM usage).

2, Add in another line (WAIT = TRUE) in the ATM config like so:

ACTIVE_TEXTURE_MANAGER
{

WAIT = TRUE
DBG = TRUE
###Section for global settings

3, Follow this excellent tip by lincourtl

1, Download the x86 version of this (aggressive trades texture quality for RAM usage).

2, Add in another line (WAIT = TRUE) in the ATM config

Done,

I can't find the "boot.ini" file (i use XP).

Still get the same "too many heap section" error.

*.log:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8epnup8wguhl9p6/KSP%202-22-2015-14-02-46.log?dl=0

Hello, F.S.W., and welcome to the forum!

Thank you, I tried it but the textures look quite blurred anyway:

Hello Sparker.

My bad. It has to be "Romfarer/textures/.*" not "Romfarer/Textures/.*"

Works for me with:

-Romfarer LazorDockingCam v35

-Active Texture Management x86 Aggressive

-Texture Quality set to "Half Res" (no "-force-d3d11"/"-force-opengl")

I am running into a very frustrating problem with ATM compressing things that I am telling it not to touch.

I am running KSP 0.90 x86 on Windows 7

using aggressive x86 the latest version available on GitHub

I haven't touched anything in the main ATM settings config.

The issue is with Contracts Window+ all of it's textures are getting compressed despite me adding a config saying hey don't touch this stuff and deleting the texture cache.

ACTIVE_TEXTURE_MANAGER_CONFIG

{

folder = Contracts Window

enabled = true

OVERRIDES

{

Contracts Window/Textures/.*

{

compress = false

mipmaps = false

scale = 1

max_size = 0

}

}

}

That is the config I am using, I have tried setting enabled to false and that had no effect it still compresses the stuff. Adding a cfg like the one above has worked for every other folder I have done it to, so I can't seem to figure out why no matter what it gets compressed :(

Hello I'm new to KSP and I don't have the same experience as all the vets here at installing mods. That said, I can't really find anything that instructs me how to properly install this mod. I copied the data from the "GameData" folder provided in the install folder for ATM into my KSP GameData folder. I've started KSP but no long load time. I fear it isn't working. Furthermore. Space X mod is kicking my ass. I get crashes on every launch or when I try to revert flights to VAB. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Hello I come back to play KSP and have the game on 0.25 version....started game....with pack of mods(ATM of course)....next to it I see there is new 0.90 version, so I downloaded it, downloaded ATM and pack of mods I had before....At 0.25 version KSP don't crash for long time.....at 0.90 I started game, it takes about hour, restarted it and load my old save...create very small plane and try to take off....game crashed.(In about 8 minutes after start of game)

It crashed becouse it had low memory(3320MB always at my PC).....

KSP 0.90

14 mods + ATM + DDS loader + openGL

Win 32-bit

4GB RAM

2 cores processor

Error log as always at low memory crash....

mono.dll caused an Access Violation (0xc0000005)

in module mono.dll at 001b:1011926a.

Error occurred at 2015-02-24_195736.

78% memory in use.

3320 MB physical memory [709 MB free].

0 MB paging file [2838 MB free].

2048 MB user address space [76 MB free].

Write to location 00200000 caused an access violation

Edit:

Maybe I find the problem....mono.dll....maybe it is missing I try downlaod it and copy it to system32/KSP folder. :)

Edit2:

Textures at half res...and low quality all...

Edited by Toonu

Hello I'm new to KSP and I don't have the same experience as all the vets here at installing mods. That said, I can't really find anything that instructs me how to properly install this mod. I copied the data from the "GameData" folder provided in the install folder for ATM into my KSP GameData folder. I've started KSP but no long load time. I fear it isn't working. Furthermore. Space X mod is kicking my ass. I get crashes on every launch or when I try to revert flights to VAB. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Welcome to the forums!

In order for us to help we need more information, the basic info you should always provide when asking for assistance are as follows:

KSP version and if it's 32 or 64 bit (x86 or x64)

Operating system

version of the mod you are using (in ATMs case this also means is it standard or aggressive and is it the x86 or x64 version)

if you could provide that information then we can start helping you :)

in some cases more info will be needed such as your ksp log, this can be found in the KSP_Data folder that is in the same location as the GameData folder, inside is an output_log.txt

Hello I come back to play KSP and have the game on 0.25 version....started game....with pack of mods(ATM of course)....next to it I see there is new 0.90 version, so I downloaded it, downloaded ATM and pack of mods I had before....At 0.25 version KSP don't crash for long time.....at 0.90 I started game, it takes about hour, restarted it and load my old save...create very small plane and try to take off....game crashed.(In about 8 minutes after start of game)

It crashed becouse it had low memory(3320MB always at my PC).....

KSP 0.90

14 mods + ATM + DDS loader + openGL

Win 32-bit

4GB RAM

2 cores processor

Error log as always at low memory crash....

mono.dll caused an Access Violation (0xc0000005)

in module mono.dll at 001b:1011926a.

Error occurred at 2015-02-24_195736.

78% memory in use.

3320 MB physical memory [709 MB free].

0 MB paging file [2838 MB free].

2048 MB user address space [76 MB free].

Write to location 00200000 caused an access violation

Edit:

Maybe I find the problem....mono.dll....maybe it is missing I try downlaod it and copy it to system32/KSP folder. :)

Edit2:

Textures at half res...and low quality all...

No the mono.dll isn't the issue, for starters 0.90 added a lot of new stock stuff to the game. You would probably have problems with crashing just playing stock with out ATM. Some things you can do would be to trim down stuff you don't really use from both stock and the mods you have installed. Also make sure you are using the aggressive version. If you haven't already you can also try this suggestion.

Edit: I almost forgot, are you also using the DDS converter to convert stuff? If you are make sure you are telling it to also compress things when it converts, because ATM wont compress them if they have already been converted to DDS and if you didn't compress them with DDS loader then you are still loading them at full size.

Edited by Akira_R

Welcome to the forums!

In order for us to help we need more information, the basic info you should always provide when asking for assistance are as follows:

KSP version and if it's 32 or 64 bit (x86 or x64)

Operating system

version of the mod you are using (in ATMs case this also means is it standard or aggressive and is it the x86 or x64 version)

if you could provide that information then we can start helping you :)

in some cases more info will be needed such as your ksp log, this can be found in the KSP_Data folder that is in the same location as the GameData folder, inside is an output_log.txt

No the mono.dll isn't the issue, for starters 0.90 added a lot of new stock stuff to the game. You would probably have problems with crashing just playing stock with out ATM. Some things you can do would be to trim down stuff you don't really use from both stock and the mods you have installed. Also make sure you are using the aggressive version. If you haven't already you can also try this suggestion.

Edit: I almost forgot, are you also using the DDS converter to convert stuff? If you are make sure you are telling it to also compress things when it converts, because ATM wont compress them if they have already been converted to DDS and if you didn't compress them with DDS loader then you are still loading them at full size.

Umm, I tried it withou DLL too, but it was mostly same.....I will try it once more...

Yes, I have agressive version of course. :)

"Some things you can do would be to trim down stuff you don't really use from both stock and the mods you have installed."

I have only 15 mods! :D and without ATM and DLL 13! :D Someone have 46+ mods and working. :D I have only basic mods.... :(

I look at that suggestion. ;)

List of mods I use:

ATM, FAR, KAS, KAX, TAC, MKS/OKS, DDS Loader,

Chaterrer, Engineer Redux, Procedural Fairings, Universal Storage

Infernal robotics(only 2 parts of it, other deleted),

1 minimod adding MK II plane parts,

Tweak something(size of parts)

Only basic mods...and only 1 is big - OKS/MKS, other have less than 20 parts...

Do you thing it ewill be better with WAIT=TRUE?

Yes and last game I tried it will be good for 10 minutes, then I go back to space center and screen was black, I click into black screen and were in VAB, there was from white to grey colour buttons...I try take off with rocket but the screen was flashing black fast...so I end game.

Edited by Toonu

Umm, I tried it withou DLL too, but it was mostly same.....I will try it once more...

Yes, I have agressive version of course. :)

"Some things you can do would be to trim down stuff you don't really use from both stock and the mods you have installed."

I have only 15 mods! :D and without ATM and DLL 13! :D Someone have 46+ mods and working. :D I have only basic mods.... :(

I look at that suggestion. ;)

List of mods I use:

ATM, FAR, KAS, KAX, TAC, MKS/OKS, DDS Loader,

Chaterrer, Engineer Redux, Procedural Fairings, Universal Storage

Infernal robotics(only 2 parts of it, other deleted),

1 minimod adding MK II plane parts,

Tweak something(size of parts)

Only basic mods...and only 1 is big - OKS/MKS, other have less than 20 parts...

Do you thing it ewill be better with WAIT=TRUE?

Yes and last game I tried it will be good for 10 minutes, then I go back to space center and screen was black, I click into black screen and were in VAB, there was from white to grey colour buttons...I try take off with rocket but the screen was flashing black fast...so I end game.

Ok so in my experience switching from 0.24.2 to 0.90 I was unable to run nearly as many part mods as before because the base game is taking up a lot more memory now, I think 100% stock it runs at like 2.4Gbs which is big! Plus since you are on a 32bit OS with only 4Gbs total RAM a chunk of that is going to get allocated as system only memory, so KSP is already not going to be able to use the 3.8ish gigs it normally can utilize. Basically you are either going to have to trim down parts or go back to .25 :(

My personal recommendation is to cut out stock parts that are made redundant by mods and parts that you rarely use (Stayputnik who really uses it anyways lol) and then look at your mods and remove things that you don't really use in them.

my laptop has 8Gbs of ram so I can give KSP the full not quite 4 gigs it will take, I have 120+ mods installed, probably 20 of them are part mods and of those I really picked and chose what parts I will actually use, and I removed a good prtion of the stock parts and in order to play it for more than 45 minutes to an hour at a time I have to run it on quarter res textures. In .24.2 I was able to run all the same mods but leave in all the stock parts and could load it on half res textures, 0.90 is unfortunately quite bloated.

Edited by Akira_R

Solved with increasing memory formgame and less for system game is smoothly like in 0.25 but i play it only while....maybe it crash later....i remove some parts too. Thanks to all :)

EDIT1: One problem is....can't launch any rocket....when I enter VAB I can't get outside VAB, only closing game helps... :( lol I think it's becouse I don't have enought money...

But that does not explain that I can't get out from VAB....

Edited by Toonu

Solved with increasing memory formgame and less for system game is smoothly like in 0.25 but i play it only while....maybe it crash later....i remove some parts too. Thanks to all :)

EDIT1: One problem is....can't launch any rocket....when I enter VAB I can't get outside VAB, only closing game helps... :( lol I think it's becouse I don't have enought money...

But that does not explain that I can't get out from VAB....

That's weird, I don't know if that has anything to do with ATM though.

Now reposting my question since it ended up at the bottom of a page and I doubt it was seen:

I am running into a very frustrating problem with ATM compressing things that I am telling it not to touch.

I am running KSP 0.90 x86 on Windows 7

using aggressive x86 the latest version available on GitHub

I haven't touched anything in the main ATM settings config.

The issue is with Contracts Window+ all of it's textures are getting compressed despite me adding a config saying hey don't touch this stuff and deleting the texture cache.

{

folder = Contracts Window

enabled = true

OVERRIDES

{

Contracts Window/Textures/.*

{

compress = false

mipmaps = false

scale = 1

max_size = 0

}

}

}

That is the config I am using, I have tried setting enabled to false and that had no effect it still compresses the stuff. Adding a cfg like the one above has worked for every other folder I have done it to, so I can't seem to figure out why no matter what it gets compressed :(

**** UPDATE***** I figured it out and got the mod rockin. Performs better but I don't yet know how to quantify my comp's performance in relation to this game. Just know that it doesn't crash and skip as much. I'm on a Macbook Pro Retina so maybe a lil different than the rest in these forums. Thanks anyway and excited to be part of this forum!

Hello. This mod was great as it allowed me to install a few more mods than I otherwise could. Unfortunately it also changed the mod menu buttons - the FAR button is completely white, and the rest are a pixelated mess. Is there a way to make those particular textures exempt from the rescaling?

Hello. This mod was great as it allowed me to install a few more mods than I otherwise could. Unfortunately it also changed the mod menu buttons - the FAR button is completely white, and the rest are a pixelated mess. Is there a way to make those particular textures exempt from the rescaling?

Yes, you need to make a cfg file to tell it which folders not to compress, you can also tell it not to compress specific textures in the same way.

As an example:

{

folder = RealChute

enabled = true

OVERRIDES

{

RealChute/Flags/.*

{

compress = false

mipmaps = false

scale = 1

max_size = 0

}

RealChute/Agencies/.*

{

compress = false

mipmaps = false

scale = 1

max_size = 0

}

RealChute/Plugins/PluginData/.*

{

compress = false

mipmaps = false

scale = 1

max_size = 0

}

}

}

It can go any where in the gamedata folder, but there is a folder in the main ATM folder that has a bunch already in it, I also recommend doing the same for flags and stuff otherwise those are going to look weird to.

Hello everyone!

I just wanted a little precition, the x64 version of ATM is for the x64 version of kerbal or for x64 OS?

You need the version that coresponds to the version of KSP, so if you are on the x86(32bit) version of KSP you need the x86 version of ATM.

Now my own question, does any one know if ATM has a method for handling spaces in folder names?