[1.0][Release-5-0][April 28, 2015] Active Texture Management - Save RAM!

rbray89

Are you using the Aggressive version?

You can tweak the aggressive version to become much more aggressive by doing this:

### Resize the texture by the scale specified. Use powers

### of two for best efficiency. 1 is no scalling, 2, is 1/2

### 4 is 1/4, etc.

scale = 8

Yeah, I'm using the aggressive version. Thanks for the suggestion, but I cannot do this. I need the textures to look decent enough to record a video on, even having it on 2 is a stretch for me.. Using low resolution textures are awful for gameplay and cinematics. Come to think of it, besides my processor, there is literally nothing I can upgrade to make KSP run better (or crash less) because x64 is unstable :/

For windows, no, not until Unity 5 is released(and KSP moved over to it). You can try it, you personally may or may not have issues with it. I get random crashes myself, so I started running ksp x64 on a linux usb stick, perfectly stable, though I do use ATM just to speed the loading up.

Yeah, I'm using the aggressive version. Thanks for the suggestion, but I cannot do this. I need the textures to look decent enough to record a video on, even having it on 2 is a stretch for me.. Using low resolution textures are awful for gameplay and cinematics. Come to think of it, besides my processor, there is literally nothing I can upgrade to make KSP run better (or crash less) because x64 is unstable :/

If it's possible, you may want to try 0.25. I can think of dozens of reasons why it may not be possible but the one reason I suggest it is that based on the frequency of reports of it, it seems the memory leak started or got worse in 0.90. You may be under the memory cap to start but something on your ship causes the leak to run away and crash the game.

Try this:

ACTIVE_TEXTURE_MANAGER_CONFIG

{

folder = Romfarer

enabled = true

OVERRIDES

{

Romfarer/Textures/.*

{

compress = false

mipmaps = false

scale = 1

max_size = 0

make_not_readable = false

}

}

}

Hello, F.S.W., and welcome to the forum!

Thank you, I tried it but the textures look quite blurred anyway:

UzXXB9u.png?1

If it's possible, you may want to try 0.25. I can think of dozens of reasons why it may not be possible but the one reason I suggest it is that based on the frequency of reports of it, it seems the memory leak started or got worse in 0.90. You may be under the memory cap to start but something on your ship causes the leak to run away and crash the game.

Oh, so it's actually a problem with 0.90, and not my computer being sub-par? Phew! You had me worried there xD

Memory leak you say... So a part or something in the game is allocating memory to do something, but not clearing it afterwards. To me, it just sounds like the game is unoptimised and still has bugs, which is what I'd expect... But it's so annoying D:<

I can't go back to 0.25 though.. The gizmos are too valuable!!! Haha.

So....How do I NOT make ATM compress the textures for a mod? Someone probably asked already, but I didn't feel like searching through all 100+ pages of replies...

Specifically, How do I make it to where my D12 doesn't go nuts because it can't find the textures from B9?

i'm using ATM for a new career yet even after a few minutes in game, when i switch from a building like the VAB to the Space center screen, the screen turns to rainbow colors and shortly after freezes. I'm only using default parts plus a couple of ram-consuming mods (ksp interstellar, cloud pack (astronomer's interstellar), MkiV spaceplane, 1/3 or NFT, and 1/2 of Trans-Keptunian pack from KopernicusTech). The other 30+mods are either plugins or mods that add 1-5 parts. The amount of ram in the ksp folder is 3.7Gb, which should be sufficient, yet ksp is freezing after just minutes of gameplay.

KSP has a confirmed memory leak when flying near Kerbin and memory doesn't get released when changing scenes:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/105514-BUG-Memory-Leak-Flying-Near-Ground/

You can keep track of your memory usage here:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/99494-0-90-MemoryUsage-v1-11-2014-11-19

When your physical mem reaches around 3.7GB or VMEM reaches around 4GB, KSP will crash.

Edit: Changing scenes will also cause memory to spike up that almost always crashes your game if your memory is already reaching the limit.

Edited by ghimb2000

Hello, I am having a problem

Version: 0.90 beta

Im using windows 32x Version

I have an upwards of 68 mods

and the memory size of ksp is 5.9 gb

please ask for more information if you need it

My problem is that it boots up, but then it crashes when I try to load a save, and if it does load the save, it crashes when I enter any building

My crash file is here

Edited by Elick320
I forgot to put in my output.log

Hello, I am having a problem

Version: 0.90 beta

Im using windows 32x Version

I have an upwards of 68 mods

and the memory size of ksp is 5.9 gb

please ask for more information if you need it

My problem is that it boots up, but then it crashes when I try to load a save, and if it does load the save, it crashes when I enter any building

My crash file is here

I don't know how you get the 5.9 gb, the 32 bit version can only (theoretically) access 4 gig. Generally, if you hit 3.5 gb, you are going to crash.

A list of mods would be useful.

Personally, I run about 94 mods, and have to watch my memory usage. If it gets too much, I exit and reenter.

You should probably install Active Texture Management as a first suggestion, textures take a lot of memory.

Running Astronomer's Visual pack together with ATM causes kerbin to look like a giant white cloud with red splotches.

Deleting BoulderCo.cfg fixes it, is there anything I can change in the file to still have it work with compression?

Pretty sure it's the lightning. I remember trying it once and had that happen, removing the lightning was what fixed it for me.

Well, i've herd the tubers talk about this mod and so considering my modded KSP is hitting 2.9GB and windows has started swapping KSP out of ram... I decided i'd give this a go...

However, I have an absolute tonn of NullReferenceExceptions and a load of white parts... which doesn't look good... i have no idea how to fix these...

Would love to use this as it seems to make KSP work better but not with white parts...

http://pastebin.com/cWct9wYJ

However... it looks like it has not actually saved any ram...

http://pastebin.com/nrBpSypA

Any help appreciated

I am having a bit of an issue, and I can't seem to find an answer while searching the forums. I've been trying to get this mod to not scale/alter the toolbar icons for Mechjeb, but no matter what I can't seem to get the override to work properly. I've tried both of the following stanzas and it doesn't seem to work:

.*/Icons/.*

{

compress = true

mipmaps = false

scale = 1

max_size = 0

}

MechJeb2/Icons/.*

{

compress = true

mipmaps = false

scale = 1

max_size = 0

}

Is there anything I am doing wrong here?

I don't know how you get the 5.9 gb, the 32 bit version can only (theoretically) access 4 gig. Generally, if you hit 3.5 gb, you are going to crash.

A list of mods would be useful.

Personally, I run about 94 mods, and have to watch my memory usage. If it gets too much, I exit and reenter.

You should probably install Active Texture Management as a first suggestion, textures take a lot of memory.

List of mods (from KSP AVC)

It turns out I only counted the mod files last comment

KSP: 0.90 (Win64) - Unity: 4.5.5f1 - OS: Windows 8.1 (6.3.9600) 64bit

USI Tools - 0.3.2

Asteroid Recycling Tech - 0.6

B9 Aerospace - 5.2.6

CactEye 2 Orbital Telescope - 0.0.5

Chatterer - 0.8.1.86

Community Resource Pack - 0.3.2

Contracts Window Plus - 1.0.3.3

Custom Asteroids - 1.1

DMagic Orbital Science - 0.9.1.1

Firespitter - 7.0

In-Flight Waypoints - 1.2.8

RasterPropMonitor - 0.19

KineTechAnimation - 1.1.1

KSP-AVC Plugin - 1.1.5

Docking Port Alignment Indicator - 5.1

Final Frontier - 0.6.5.697

PlanetShine - 0.2.2.1

Regolith - 0.1.5

ResGen - 0.28.2

SCANsat - 1.1

TextureReplacer - 2.2.5

TAC Life Support - 0.10.2.15

Kerbal Alarm Clock - 3.2.3

Asteroid Mining Technologies - 0.1.1

USI Exploration Pack - 0.3.1

Freight Transport Tech - 0.3

Karbonite - 0.5.5

Karbonite Plus - 0.3

MKS - 0.22.6

Sounding Rockets - 0.1.1

USI Survivability Pack - 0.2.2

Universal Storage - 1.0.90.2

And as for trying active texture management, after 3 attempts trying to boot up on the 32x version of KSP, It crashed all three times, although it did "finish" loading, as in the bar got to the very end, then crash, crash files here

It boots up fine in 64x though...

Any Ideas?

Edit: IS there any way to fix the problem with KSP Boulderco atmospheric problems? Just wondering

Edited by Elick320
Forgot somthing

So many pages, or I'd dig through. Does anyone have a guide on how to run ATM *with* half-res textures? Google turns up a bunch of nada. The memory leak in .9 is so bad it keeps me from playing quite effectively. I've started thinking of reverting to .25 until they release .91 (or someone comes up with a patch to fix it) or if unity can get x64 stable and ksp gets updated.

Only other option I can think of is squeezing some space out of another drive and installing a small linux partition, but I'm not even sure if that will work 'cause I hear there are issues with linux x64 too

Uhh.. so there are x86, and x64 options for download.. does this refer to your Operating system, or the version of the game you are planning on running?

Edit: Duh.. If I was running 64x ksp i wouldn't need this.. lol .. Total nUb moment.

Edited by Talavar

So many pages, or I'd dig through. Does anyone have a guide on how to run ATM *with* half-res textures? Google turns up a bunch of nada. The memory leak in .9 is so bad it keeps me from playing quite effectively. I've started thinking of reverting to .25 until they release .91 (or someone comes up with a patch to fix it) or if unity can get x64 stable and ksp gets updated.

Only other option I can think of is squeezing some space out of another drive and installing a small linux partition, but I'm not even sure if that will work 'cause I hear there are issues with linux x64 too

Well good luck there xD They announced next update is release 1.0, and that they are dropping 64 bits version (or at least for now).

- - - Updated - - -

Uhh.. so there are x86, and x64 options for download.. does this refer to your Operating system, or the version of the game you are planning on running?

Edit: Duh.. If I was running 64x ksp i wouldn't need this.. lol .. Total nUb moment.

I believe it's KSP version.