[1.0][Release-5-0][April 28, 2015] Active Texture Management - Save RAM!

rbray89

thx :) and found an error in my log

[EXC 19:08:31.654] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

ActiveTextureManagement.ActiveTextureManagement.SetupLoaders ()

ActiveTextureManagement.ActiveTextureManagement.Start ()

[ERR 17:13:27.864] GameDatabase: Texture 'DeadlyReentry/Parts/deadlyReentry_1.25Heatshield/model001' requested as normal map but texture is not a normal map and is not readable

I'm seeing the same thing, in addition some Karbonite parts seem affected.

Needs an Override telling ATM to make it a normal map. It should already be in the ATM configs though....weird.

I made a pull request on Github 9 days ago for that and for preserving some of the toolbar icons.

Does anyone know why I have "Memory saved: 0" in my logs?

ATM seems to be going a bit overboard in my new game (haven't played in a while). It is compressing UI bits that really need no compression. In particular the icons on both the stock and modded toolbars. Any way to stop it from doing that?

ATM seems to be going a bit overboard in my new game (haven't played in a while). It is compressing UI bits that really need no compression. In particular the icons on both the stock and modded toolbars. Any way to stop it from doing that?

I'd guesstimate that half the posts in this thread are related to this issue and I'd also guesstimate that just about every mod that implements a toolbar icon has had to handle multiple inquiries about this issue. Since the problem has not been addressed in ATM, you are forced to use a special ATM .cfg for every bloody mod that you don't want this to happen to. Have a fish around in this thread and you'll find a solution. Or check out the threads of the affected mods - it'll come up in plenty of those too.

Edited by AlphaAsh

I'd guesstimate that half the posts in this thread are related to this issue and I'd also guesstimate that just about every mod that implements a toolbar icon has had to handle multiple inquiries about this issue. Since the problem has not been addressed in ATM, you are forced to use a special ATM .cfg for every bloody mod that you don't want this to happen to. Have a fish around in this thread and you'll find a solution. Or check out the threads of the affected mods - it'll come up in plenty of those too.

I made a pull request about two weeks ago to the ATM Github repo to preserve a list of toolbar icons and to preserve all icons in /Icons/ folders.

Hopefully rbray will be back soon and implement that in the next release…

Considering that his thread has nearl 3500 posts now that would take a while. And my modlist is.... very long. :)

I made a pull request about two weeks ago to the ATM Github repo to preserve a list of toolbar icons and to preserve all icons in /Icons/ folders.

Hopefully rbray will be back soon and implement that in the next release…

Sweet. Lots of code you changed there. Must have taken a while. I hope it gets added.

Not familiar enough with Github to see if I could get a version with your pull included. Do you have a local copy of the repo you could upload in the meantime?

Sweet. Lots of code you changed there. Must have taken a while. I hope it gets added.

Not familiar enough with Github to see if I could get a version with your pull included. Do you have a local copy of the repo you could upload in the meantime?

You can see and download my changes here:

https://github.com/bax-/ActiveTextureManagement/tree/master/Content

Using the basic configuration with compress_normals turned off, I see my RAM usage for KSP at the main menu at 3.7GB. Without ATM installed, I see it at 2.8GB. Is this not the reverse of what I should be seeing?

ATM generates "mipmaps" (smaller-sized versions of the original texture) to speed up the game. This adds about 30% to the size of a texture, but since the texture is being compressed and possibly shrunk, it's still a net memory saver. If you're not compressing normals, though, they get the 30% increase over their uncompressed size. I tested the difference with Hangar -- compressing normals resulted in some loss of visual quality (which is why normal-maps exist, so compressing them compromises that), but 110 MB of memory savings (on that mod alone).

That's why I contributed a bunch more configs to ATM a few versions back -- doing so allows ATM to compress their normal maps, allowing them to fit in much smaller footprints.

Ok, seeing some slight memory savings (~100mb) with normal map compression turned on. Still crashing due to running out of memory in the same spot on a Kerbin reentry regardless of whether I'm using texture compression or not. So, it works, but its not enough. Oh well, still a good plugin, just not enough to fix my particular issue.

Hello, not sure if this is a problem with ATM or Module Manager, when I load up my game, it all goes fine until around the midpoint, where it skips back a bit and simply says "Module Manager" (No Path before it), it keeps displaying loading hints but the loading stops, when I take out Module manager it all works fine.

The loading bar "going back" a bit seems to be normal - but if your game does not continue loading, than there may be something wrong with one of your mods.

During launch the displayed texture is the last one ATM processed succesfully (almost sure here), so that should not be your problem.

Did you update Texture Replacer - if you are using it? There was a problem with the replaced textures not getting unloaded in one of the previous versions. Also I heard a "rumour" about a new memory leak in KSP that continuously eats up your RAM as you go from KSC to space, load saves etc.

Ok, seeing some slight memory savings (~100mb) with normal map compression turned on. Still crashing due to running out of memory in the same spot on a Kerbin reentry regardless of whether I'm using texture compression or not. So, it works, but its not enough. Oh well, still a good plugin, just not enough to fix my particular issue.

Try the -force-opengl or -force-d3d11?

Create a shortcut to the KSP.exe file, then modify it:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\KSP.exe" -force-opengl

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\KSP.exe" -force-d3d11

I use aggressive ATM combined with running in OpenGL mode 90% of the time.

My guess is that there is a memory leak of some sort. This is the only point I have EVER crashed due to memory problems in the last ~3.5 years of playing. SSTO on reentry from a polar orbit; I can get within about 5km of the terrain near the mountains on this particular reentry trajectory before I see my memory usage shoot up from 2.7gb to 3.2gb, and then up another 100mb every 15 seconds or so until it crashes out. Haven't tried the forced graphics options yet but they may do the the job. I've heard Unity's OpenGL rendering on Windows has issues with shadow rendering (or lack thereof).

-- Actually, hang on a tic. Should my crash logs be showing "0MB physical memory, 0MB paging file, 0MB user address space"? That doesn't jive with other logs I've seen posted.

Edited by CCraigen

Howdi,

The memory increase was always three at least in later versions; it always creeped for me until the game crashed so I planned for it.

ATM seems useless or not as good as it was prior to KSP v90; I am having to try and cutback on mods just to get an hour of gameplay.

Now I am looking at NASAMission possibly causing this as my asteroids dont generate; I just added some of my own; I also use Planet Factory but I may try to look at this memory creep closer to help out.

A net gain or savings of 100Megs is useless; we had almost 1 GIGS of savings before KSP v90; if theres a NasaMission DLL maybe I can delete it in my case and see if that helps altho I dont think it was a problem before.

Tried force dx11; have pink ships and messed up fonts; may try to update dx11 as there is a pack for it. ALSO I think I may try to 'force' compatibility mode running KSP never tried that either; all these ideas to save memory and it seems like we are all back to square 1.

Almost forgot; tried with and without ATM; no diff practically for me and I am maxxed out mod-wise.

Zeta

Hello! Thank you for this plugin, it really helps to lower the number crashes! :)

I would like to disable this plugin for lazor docking camera mod because it compresses the image of black and white cross in the camera view and makes it very blurry. I tried adding a file called Romfarer.cfg which contained this:

ACTIVE_TEXTURE_MANAGER_CONFIG

{

folder = Romfarer

enabled = false

}

into the ActiveTextureManagement\ActiveTextureManagerConfigs folder, but it still compresses it. Could someone help me with .cfg file please?

Hello! Thank you for this plugin, it really helps to lower the number crashes! :)

I would like to disable this plugin for lazor docking camera mod because it compresses the image of black and white cross in the camera view and makes it very blurry. I tried adding a file called Romfarer.cfg which contained this:

{

folder = Romfarer

enabled = false

}

into the ActiveTextureManagement\ActiveTextureManagerConfigs folder, but it still compresses it. Could someone help me with .cfg file please?

Try this:

{

folder = Romfarer

enabled = true

OVERRIDES

{

Romfarer/Textures/.*

{

compress = false

mipmaps = false

scale = 1

max_size = 0

make_not_readable = false

}

}

}

Yay! It's actually working!.. Well... Kinda.. Not really... At least, not enough. Too much RAM is still being used in the SPH

Sure, it takes the RAM usage from around 3.5GB down to 2.7GB, but the project I'm working on seems to be a bit too demanding on RAM (giant helicarrier). Within a 5 minute gap, the RAM steadily increases from 2.7 back to ~3.5, after which, it spikes to 3.7 and it crashes... The only way I can get the RAM usage low enough to avoid these spikes crashing the game is to use -force-d3d11, which as you probably know, forces DirectX. This would be fine, except that half the textures in the SPH are missing (mostly the line paintings on the ground turn black), and the some of the menus look weird and slightly out of place, so DirectX isn't an option. I can't do -force-opengl either because my graphics card seems to reject it and gives me weird pink areas for transparent objects. Most notably of that is when I use the position gizmo, the circle in the middle is pink. Same with manoeuvre nodes.

Is there any way to prevent the RAM from spiking? I'm already sacrificing good looking textures, I don't want to sacrifice much more :(

Here is the output file if you want to have a look (DropBox) http://bit.ly/1Kqk5px

It's of a crash due to firespitter being weird, while forcing DirectX. If you need the file under different conditions, let me know.

System specs and whatnot are as follows, because you'd probably need them:

KSP Version: 0.90.0

CPU: AMD FX-6350 (OC to 4.6Ghz)

RAM: 8GB

GPU: Nvidia GTX 750Ti

I don't know if the output file shows the mods I'm using, but there's a fair chunk of small mods, and only 2 larger mods, those being B9 and Firespitter (updated DLL).

I hope you can give me a hand or something. I'll check back on this thread as much as needed. Thanks in advance, everyone.

Yay! It's actually working!.. Well... Kinda.. Not really... At least, not enough. Too much RAM is still being used in the SPH

Sure, it takes the RAM usage from around 3.5GB down to 2.7GB, but the project I'm working on seems to be a bit too demanding on RAM (giant helicarrier). Within a 5 minute gap, the RAM steadily increases from 2.7 back to ~3.5, after which, it spikes to 3.7 and it crashes... The only way I can get the RAM usage low enough to avoid these spikes crashing the game is to use -force-d3d11, which as you probably know, forces DirectX. This would be fine, except that half the textures in the SPH are missing (mostly the line paintings on the ground turn black), and the some of the menus look weird and slightly out of place, so DirectX isn't an option. I can't do -force-opengl either because my graphics card seems to reject it and gives me weird pink areas for transparent objects. Most notably of that is when I use the position gizmo, the circle in the middle is pink. Same with manoeuvre nodes.

Is there any way to prevent the RAM from spiking? I'm already sacrificing good looking textures, I don't want to sacrifice much more :(

Here is the output file if you want to have a look (DropBox) http://bit.ly/1Kqk5px

It's of a crash due to firespitter being weird, while forcing DirectX. If you need the file under different conditions, let me know.

System specs and whatnot are as follows, because you'd probably need them:

KSP Version: 0.90.0

CPU: AMD FX-6350 (OC to 4.6Ghz)

RAM: 8GB

GPU: Nvidia GTX 750Ti

I don't know if the output file shows the mods I'm using, but there's a fair chunk of small mods, and only 2 larger mods, those being B9 and Firespitter (updated DLL).

I hope you can give me a hand or something. I'll check back on this thread as much as needed. Thanks in advance, everyone.

Are you using the Aggressive version?

You can tweak the aggressive version to become much more aggressive by doing this:

### Resize the texture by the scale specified. Use powers

### of two for best efficiency. 1 is no scalling, 2, is 1/2

### 4 is 1/4, etc.

scale = 8