[1.0][Release-5-0][April 28, 2015] Active Texture Management - Save RAM!

rbray89

But if KSP is re-loading textures why does the previous version and the patch posted earlier seem to work as expected?

Believe me... It doesn't. I just tried them and the KSP loader re-loads the textures anyways. Memory usage will actually increase for some reason (likely KSP not flushing after the update)

the version posted previously has been updated. Unfortunately, with .25, there is no recourse but to re-load textures after KSP has loaded them. The log debugging also correctly reflects memory saved.

https://github.com/rbray89/ActiveTextureManagement/releases/tag/3-5

Believe me... It doesn't. I just tried them and the KSP loader re-loads the textures anyways. Memory usage will actually increase for some reason (likely KSP not flushing after the update)

the version posted previously has been updated. Unfortunately, with .25, there is no recourse but to re-load textures after KSP has loaded them. The log debugging also correctly reflects memory saved.

https://github.com/rbray89/ActiveTextureManagement/releases/tag/3-5

Okay, I'll give this one a shot. If I report back in like 10 minutes we'll know it didn't work for me, because the game will have crashed again. Wish me luck! :)

Update, 20 minutes later: Nope. Crashed. ;.;

Edited by Neutrinovore

The new release seems to be working for me so far. No crash on entering the VAB at least. It seems to be doing bad things to icons and such being added by mods though. I may have noticed this once or twice before with previous releases, but definitely not to this extent:

luvL71p.png

Edit: Found even more cases of this badness, including distortion of stock assets such as the icons for the different strategies in the new admin building.

Edited by Patrick Kerbivan

I noticed that the new version of ATM negates the changes of the newest version of TextureReplacer.

So I tried a config for TR like this:

ACTIVE_TEXTURE_MANAGER_CONFIG
{
folder = TextureReplacer
enabled = false
}

But it didn't work, still no Textures replaced by TR.

What can I do to make TextureReplacer work again?

I got a clean load followed by a crash in the VAB. Many part textures looking funky as well, and the grass texture in the scene view of the KSC, plus in-game itself has been corrupted. All this happened once I installed the new release, and the grass texture remains corrupted after I removed it (Both folders from GameData). Trying a clean install to see if that fixes the issue. Will report back.

Ias

I got a clean load followed by a crash in the VAB. Many part textures looking funky as well, and the grass texture in the scene view of the KSC, plus in-game itself has been corrupted. All this happened once I installed the new release, and the grass texture remains corrupted after I removed it (Both folders from GameData). Trying a clean install to see if that fixes the issue. Will report back.

Ias

Looks like a clean install fixed it. I am now running without ATM - if I have a play again I'll post logs/screenshots to help. Best of luck solving your issues.

Ias

I am having a problem with some textures not loading also. This seems to be making some parts not load, or load with odd textures.

Recreated in install with only stock, ATM, and a mod with the issue:

THG0Yjj.png

Could this be an issue with the other mod's textures? Should I forward the issue to them?

Ok, here my latest moderate success with the updated ATM.

KSP32bit, Win7 64bit, AMD Athlon II X4 640, 3GHz, GeForce GTX 560, 4GB Memory, windowmode, open-gl.

The following updated 61 (whoa) mods:

mods.png

Some inconclusive experimentation in the settings (with and without astronomers settings.cfg).

Memory Footprint after starting up around 2.5 - 3GB. Everything seems to work (ok, Interstellar still has the treeloader problem, but thats not the point here) with my old .24.2 Save. Every vessel is where it belongs, didnt see anything weird with the textures. No crashes so far (but not much marathon played either). But the main problem is that the framerate is really low, especially compared to exactly the same mod compilation in 24.2 that was really fast. For KSP anyway. As an example the camera motion in the main menue is really sluggish.

Definitely progress, but not really playable for be either. Dont know if part of the problem is ATM, for the moment it seems to work insofar that KSP started and runs again.

Thanks for that :)

Edited by smart013

So... as far as I can tell, I won't be able to stop KSP from loading (or re-loading) textures. It will always load them.

We have two options:

1) re-load textures after KSP has already done this. This means considerably longer loading times. (standard KSP load time + white screen loading time)

2) over-write the textures before KSP can load them. This means the file system will be altered. I might be able to put the textures somewhere else, but it will result in having to re-manage textures.

I thought somewhere in the release notes there was something about the ability to do custom loaders. I can't find where I saw that now, of course. But, if that's correct, I wonder if you can hook into the texture loader and do your own loader / compressor for stock texture formats.

Thanks rbray! Unfortunately, I'm seeing textures knocked out which never were before, particularly toolbar icons, but even my custom navball texture in NavBallTextureExport is getting fuzzed up.

Otherwise, it seems to be working OK. Apart from the long loading time because of the reloading of textures anyway. I'm seeing a savings of 740MB reported in the log file.

Here's a screenshot.

uvJYXQQ.jpg

I thought somewhere in the release notes there was something about the ability to do custom loaders. I can't find where I saw that now, of course. But, if that's correct, I wonder if you can hook into the texture loader and do your own loader / compressor for stock texture formats.

Yeah, that was under Misc in the readme.txt: "GameDatabase code tweaked to allow modders to write their own asset loaders."

Edited by lincourtl

rbray89

It looks like this mod makes it so contracts do not show up in career mode.

It is the same with "texture replacer" mod, if this helps at all.

Ideas?

Check out my post in the help forum for more info.: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/96581-No-Contracts-Texture-ram-mods?p=1472001#post1472001

I have tested the other mods but maybe this is similar to issues others are facing? I don't know enough about the software used to program a lot of this, so sorry for the lack of information.

Edited by Friend Bear

I threw together a quick fix for your Squad config. Its code does not work alone, it needs the overrides from the config in BoulderCo/ActiveTextureManagerConfigs/.

Download the fix here.

{
folder = Squad
enabled = true
NORMAL_LIST
{
texture = Squad/Parts/FuelTank/RCSFuelTankR1/model001
texture = Squad/Parts/Aero/wingletAV-R8/model001
}

}

Place the folder in the .zip file in your GameData folder.

EDIT: Now includes another config to prevent compression of strategy icons in the admin building!

New config's code:

{
folder = Squad
enabled = true
OVERRIDES
{
Squad/Strategies/Icons/.*
{
compress = false
mipmaps = false
scale = 1
max_size = 0
make_not_readable = false
}
}

}

If you like it enough to include it in the mod, that's fine with me. If you want to implement my config into your mod's current config, replace your Squad config with this:

{
folder = Squad
enabled = true
NORMAL_LIST
{
texture = Squad/Spaces/mk1CockpitInternal/model002
texture = Squad/Spaces/mk1CockpitInternal/model004
texture = Squad/Parts/FuelTank/RCSFuelTankR1/model001
texture = Squad/Parts/Aero/wingletAV-R8/model001
}
OVERRIDES
{
Squad/Agencies/.*
{
compress = false
mipmaps = false
scale = 1
max_size = 0
}
Squad/Strategies/Icons/.*
{
compress = false
mipmaps = false
scale = 1
max_size = 0
}
}
}

The original config references the old names for the part folders for the RCS fuel tank and the winglet. To fix really ugly rendering of these parts, the normal list has been corrected. Thanks. :)

-Naten

Edited by Naten

I'm not in any hurry for ATM...Linux x64 here...but I'm starting to get near 3\4 of all my ram used for KSP (5-6 out of 8GB) and I'm just wanting to lower my ram use a bit (I normally only use the basic version). Clean and tested or not, progress is progress and we thank you for it.

Out of curiosity, does the lowering/texture scaling help with AA any? Only curious because AA never worked for my until very recently (not sure if it was the latest GPU driver or 0.25 KSP that helped with my AA).

quick dumb question... for the downloads, does the x64 versus x86 refer to operating OS or ksp version / bits.

x64 is 64 bits, x86 is 32 bits

Yes your game version

Edited by Mokmo

It seems some config files have been ignored on this new version.

Almost all my toolbar icons are black squares.

EDIT: Even Mechjeb's icons are doing this (including the one in the game's integrated toolbar)

Edited by Mokmo