[1.0][Release-5-0][April 28, 2015] Active Texture Management - Save RAM!

rbray89

So, forgive my ignorance here, but does this help reduce the chop and frame rate reduction when flying in or near ships(stations) with huge parts counts? I'm about half done building a Minimus-based Station Science station(also has MP and LF storage for "miscalcuations" during ordinary exploration missions) and the parts count is already getting high enough to halve my frame rate. When I send up complicated parts deliveries(i.e. solar arrays, KAS crate deliveries, fuel trucks, etc...), or when my satellite passes by, it gets pretty hard to dock anything. If this helps alleviate that I'll use it in a heartbeat. I'm concerned that its going to get pretty ridiculous by the time the rest of the parts are attached...

the frame rate issue you are seeing is due to the fact that the physics system in KSP is single threaded, and with lots of interacting parts, the work for any given frame is increased and that eventually becomes the limiting factor on how many frames per second can be rendered, but it has nothing to do with memory.

This mod will help you run more mods and have access to more types of parts by reducing the memory required for the texture for each type of part.

you probably want to make it easier on the physics system by keeping the part count low.

By the way, here is the config file for the last Chatterer as textures files have changed.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/9r8eij5ay4q1feu/AACYOvk7r62P0sAGATb6PrJSa?dl=0

(hope dp link works this time)

@ rbray89 : feel free to include/replace it in your next ATM update ;)

I didn't know this mod needed reduction also.

Now with this mod, if I run it and decided not to use it for some reason and remove it, will there be left over files, being backup or something else, left in my KSP directory?

I ask because I hate having files left behind. I know I asked this last year, but this is a newer version. I also don't want to dig through the thread.

Thanks!

Now with this mod, if I run it and decided not to use it for some reason and remove it, will there be left over files, being backup or something else, left in my KSP directory?

I ask because I hate having files left behind. I know I asked this last year, but this is a newer version. I also don't want to dig through the thread.

Thanks!

all of the cached textures are stored in "[...]\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\ActiveTextureManagement\textureCache". when you delete the ATM folder, it should clean up the cache. it's always a good idea to prune that cache whenever you remove mods or do a major update.

all of the cached textures are stored in "[...]\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\ActiveTextureManagement\textureCache". when you delete the ATM folder, it should clean up the cache. it's always a good idea to prune that cache whenever you remove mods or do a major update.

Sounds good, thanks for reply and advice.

So the preferred version is the aggressive version? And the basic version is only used if there are visual problems with aggressive?

pretty much. the aggressive version does a lot more to squish textures, but at the cost of some visual fidelity. if you get weirdness, then falling back to the basic will let you trade some ram back to the mods in order to get some pretty back in return.

You can sometimes squeak by with basic and running in OpenGL mode. I can run a mod-heavy install including hires planet textures and clouds without needing aggressive.

I like OpenGL mode but the only problem I had, I got some lag with volumetric cloud that Environmental Visual Enhancements mod adds. I need to do more testing with OpenGL.

Can anyone advise me on what I'm doing wrong?

I've got a Windows 32 bit install and the only mods I'm using are KSO and Mechjeb 2. I have a few custom skins for my orbiters, but I don't think it's anything too extreme. I'm using the ATM that is on the KSO install, but just to make sure, I tried downloading the x86 release's KSO CFG file as well.

My game keeps crashing. I'm using relatively low graphics, (1152x864 graphics, "good" render quality).

Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong?

I don't think it works. It doesn't seem to initialise when I launch KSP, so when the first loading screen finishes KSP crashes for me >:

If it wasn't for the fact I don't get the black screen as start up I'd wonder if another mod was the problem, but as I said, ATM doesn't seem to start working.