[1.0][Release-5-0][April 28, 2015] Active Texture Management - Save RAM!

rbray89

Then ATM isn't the one doing anything.

Make sure you have your texture quality set to full/normal or whatever in game graphics settings.

Solved the problem. The flags are actually cached in Squad/Agencies rather than Squad/Flags, so it was overriding nothing. Or rather, it was overriding like it was supposed to and Kerbal is just using the images from the Agencies folder instead now. Added the Agencies folder in the overrides, all is well

Edited by Sabor

Solved the problem. The flags are actually cached in Squad/Agencies rather than Squad/Flags, so it was overriding nothing. Or rather, it was overriding like it was supposed to and Kerbal is just using the images from the Agencies folder instead now. Added the Agencies folder in the overrides, all is well

Please explain how you fixed it i'm having the same problem, it does not touch the flags but is turning the agencies flags white....

Please explain how you fixed it i'm having the same problem, it does not touch the flags but is turning the agencies flags white....

In the ATM/config.cfg, make your overrides look like this. The agencies part is what you want to pay attention to, I just copied the entire thing to be less confusing with where it goes

OVERRIDES
{
.*/Props/.*
{
compress = true
mipmaps = true
scale = 1
max_size = 0
}

.*/Flags/.*
{
compress = false
mipmaps = false
scale = 1
max_size = 0
}

.*/Agencies/.*
{
compress = false
mipmaps = false
scale = 1
max_size = 0
}
}

The entire Agencies folder is only about a megabyte, give or take depending on how many flags you have. Ram usage will be negligible

Edited by Sabor

In the ATM/config.cfg, make your overrides look like this. The agencies part is what you want to pay attention to, I just copied the entire thing to be less confusing with where it goes

OVERRIDES
{
.*/Props/.*
{
compress = true
mipmaps = true
scale = 1
max_size = 0
}

.*/Flags/.*
{
compress = false
mipmaps = false
scale = 1
max_size = 0
}

.*/Agencies/.*
{
compress = false
mipmaps = false
scale = 1
max_size = 0
}
}

The entire Agencies folder is only about a megabyte, give or take depending on how many flags you have. Ram usage will be negligible

That worked, now I can see the agencies again.

Thank You :wink:

Hi everyone.... this is probably a really stupid question, but how do I install the .24 fix (I'm on a mac, installing ATM onto a fresh KSP install)? I'm not seeing any obvious instructions in the OP, and the file from the update looks like it is just replacing the dll and some configs. My main question is whether or not I should download the x64 version or the x86 version, and where I download the original version that I apply the fix against...

asheft,

You'll want x86 because there is no 64-bit KSP for Macs. Unzip, then open that GameData folder. Move those two folders into KSP/GameData/. That's how most mods are installed.

You could also drag and drop the unzipped GameData folder into your KSP folder while holding Option, then click "Merge" or "Keep Newer." For most mods, it's best to do it the first way to make sure you don't leave any pieces from the previous version behind.

Thanks! I'm going to assume that this means I don't need any previous version (I'm asking because I feel like I remember there being a lot more files in active texture management, maybe I am thinking of it being combined with EVE).

OVERRIDES
{
.*/Props/.*
{
compress = true
mipmaps = true
scale = 1
max_size = 0
}

.*/Flags/.*
{
compress = false
mipmaps = false
scale = 1
max_size = 0
}

.*/Agencies/.*
{
compress = false
mipmaps = false
scale = 1
max_size = 0
}
}

Excellent; thanks. I was having the same problem (white flags on intense ATM, blurry flags on regular ATM).

The lite version stopped my KSP from crashing in nearly all circumstances (there was one time, when a 200 part ship carrying survey modules docked with a 500-part science station, each with like 15 mods-worth of stuff going on at the same time, and I CTD on the first attempt but I don't think that counts because apart from that I have had ZERO unexplained problems with my game. Highly recommended, well done rbray89 :D

Edit: prior to installing this, I CTD approx every half hour - without fail - due to RAM addressing, sometimes more often.

Edited by Stephanie the Viking

@dbmorpher,

Do you mean something other than remove it? It doesn't change the textures themselves. Instead, ATM creates a cache of resized and compressed textures in it's own folder (KSP/GameData/ActiveTextureManagement/textureCache).

What's going wrong that makes you want to reverse the effects?

Well I downloaded the aggressive version and I realized I missed the old textures. I deleted the mod but will probably redownloaded it but on the basic version. I just wanted to make sure it wasn't a permanent change.

I'm having a problem with both versions (x86 and x64). I installed the x86 first, because I was bringing over a save from 23.5 that crapped out on me after spending 5 hours perfecting a geosynchronous orbit for remotetech2 sattellites, but I digress. I have a lot, I mean a lot of mods, the gamedata folder for my 23.5 version is a total of 2.22 Gb, and with aggressive it was running at about 2.6 Gb allocated on launch. Now I'm trying the 32-bit version of 24.2 with a gamedata folder size of 2.11 Gb, running aggressive have 3.56 Gb allocated at launch (which you can imagine gives me about 10 minutes of play time before a CTD). My question is, what exactly could be causing this? I figured it would save the same amount of ram even though it's a different version, but it saves me approximately 100 Mb total (compared to not having ATM installed). I've added a config for every folder 8Mb in size and up, and I checked, and all of the textures are cached as they should be.

tl;dr 23.5 ran at 2.6Gb, 24.2 runs at 3.56, what's wrong?

Could really use some help here.

I'm having a problem with both versions (x86 and x64). I installed the x86 first, because I was bringing over a save from 23.5 that crapped out on me after spending 5 hours perfecting a geosynchronous orbit for remotetech2 sattellites, but I digress. I have a lot, I mean a lot of mods, the gamedata folder for my 23.5 version is a total of 2.22 Gb, and with aggressive it was running at about 2.6 Gb allocated on launch. Now I'm trying the 32-bit version of 24.2 with a gamedata folder size of 2.11 Gb, running aggressive have 3.56 Gb allocated at launch (which you can imagine gives me about 10 minutes of play time before a CTD). My question is, what exactly could be causing this? I figured it would save the same amount of ram even though it's a different version, but it saves me approximately 100 Mb total (compared to not having ATM installed). I've added a config for every folder 8Mb in size and up, and I checked, and all of the textures are cached as they should be.

tl;dr 23.5 ran at 2.6Gb, 24.2 runs at 3.56, what's wrong?

Could really use some help here.

Were any other mods updated in the process? Squad added a new texture format that broke the old version, so don't even bother with that one...

And you are sure you are using aggressive?

Were any other mods updated in the process? Squad added a new texture format that broke the old version, so don't even bother with that one...

And you are sure you are using aggressive?

First of all, thank you for the response, this is why I appreciate the KSP community.

Secondly, yeah actually, I've tried both, and even went so far to put the scaling from 2 (1/2) to 4 (1/4) in the atm config just trying to get below the 3gig mark.

To answer your first question, most of the biggest RAM-hungry mods have been updated to their latest (i.e. KW, B9, etc.), in fact almost every mod has been updated to either a 4.x or 4.2 version. The only mod that I get an error for on startup is of course KAS (not sure that's been completely updated to the latest "working" plugin yet, haven't swung by that page since 4.0). I am, however, using the old version of KSPinterstellar.

First of all, thank you for the response, this is why I appreciate the KSP community.

Secondly, yeah actually, I've tried both, and even went so far to put the scaling from 2 (1/2) to 4 (1/4) in the atm config just trying to get below the 3gig mark.

To answer your first question, most of the biggest RAM-hungry mods have been updated to their latest (i.e. KW, B9, etc.), in fact almost every mod has been updated to either a 4.x or 4.2 version. The only mod that I get an error for on startup is of course KAS (not sure that's been completely updated to the latest "working" plugin yet, haven't swung by that page since 4.0). I am, however, using the old version of KSPinterstellar.

I don't think it would matter, but you could try using the ATM configs you were using before with the new DLL. That will at least tell you if it is an ATM change or other thing outside of this mod's scope.

you can try to get below 3gig mark by using "-force-opengl" in target box of your shortcut hope this helps it works wonders for me :)

I don't think it would matter, but you could try using the ATM configs you were using before with the new DLL. That will at least tell you if it is an ATM change or other thing outside of this mod's scope.
you can try to get below 3gig mark by using "-force-opengl" in target box of your shortcut hope this helps it works wonders for me :)

Thanks, I'll give both of these a shot and I'll let you guys know how it turns out, again, really appreciate the help, ATM allowed me to have the most amazing experience with 23.5, just trying to get there again :D

Edit/Followup: Welp, I owe you guys, a lot... I went ahead and compared the atm.cfg of each version and saw no difference. Removed the Squad folder and config files alike based on rbray's recommendation, added the forced openGL target, but then I found something strange. The compression wasn't nearly as high on the 4.2v as on the 23.5, so I copied over the compressed textures from that atm folder and pasted it over the 4.2v, then tweaked my terrain settings a bit, and now I'm starting at an allocated 2.1Gb. Only problem I face now is all the new textures that StationScience changed (and maybe DavonIndustries, can't remember) and I should be golden.

Yet another testament to the helpfulness and community here at the KSP forums. Much thanks! :D

Edited by shoe7ess

Hey, has anyone already done the config exceptions so this doesn't screw up the agency icons at the Mission Control Center yet?

All of the relevant paths are already in Squad.cfg. All I had to do was wrap them in an OVERRIDES {} node. I'll share the diff this afternoon.

Has anyone else had an issue with ATM not compressing anything at startup? ATM seems to not be doing any compression (or whatever else it does) I believe it might be a mod conflict but I can't figure out which one..

Here's my Output log in case it helps..