[1.0][Release-5-0][April 28, 2015] Active Texture Management - Save RAM!

rbray89

Try running with OpenGL instead of DirectX and install TextureReplacer even if you don't use it to replace any textures. OpenGL mode has been saving people 500+ MB and TextureReplacer does some of the same compression (not downsampling though) as ATM.

Won't work for me. The ram savings are incredible (over 1GB), shadows are existent, too. But reverting a flight will crash the game - it just loads forever. So Open GL is one-flight-only for me. Not usable in any way...

EDIT: No. That was caused by an outdated plugin. Testing again tomorrow...

Edited by Nereid

so far Open GL is a god send for me, works flawlessly {so far} shadows work, not seeing Nereid's revert flight crash, I do see the alt tab screen border issue, and alt enter does not fix it for me, however double clicking the mouse inside the border does. so if anyone else has this issue and alt tab doesn't work....

Stable-Basic worked once. Then froze on loading every time. Remove ATM KSP worked fine. Installed ATM as only mod - freeze on load.

Windows 7 32 bit KSP used x86 version. Main reason for using was KSO.

Edited by justadude

Stable-Basic worked once. Then froze on loading every time. Remove ATM KSP worked fine. Installed ATM as only mod - freeze on load.

Do you happen to have your KSP_Data/output_log.txt file handy?

so far Open GL is a god send for me, works flawlessly {so far} shadows work, not seeing Nereid's revert flight crash, I do see the alt tab screen border issue, and alt enter does not fix it for me, however double clicking the mouse inside the border does. so if anyone else has this issue and alt tab doesn't work....

Well, the revert flight crash was caused by Infernal Robotics. It's there in vanilla and DirectX, too.

And the amount of RAM saved is impressive: 3,4 GB just before crash with Direct without ATM, about 2 GB with ATM and 1.2GB with ATM and OpenGL.

Frame rates seems to be a bit lower, but still quite good. Shadows are there. I'm tempted to include all mods I ever wanted and run KSP in OpenGL with ATM now. :)

If you have MKS (Modular Kolonization System) installed, you need to add a config for the OpenRessourceSystem maps that comes along (Same exception as is in the WarpPlugin config). Had the same problem and it seems to have fixed it =)

If you have MKS (Modular Kolonization System) installed, you need to add a config for the OpenRessourceSystem maps that comes along (Same exception as is in the WarpPlugin config). Had the same problem and it seems to have fixed it =)

If you share the config I would be more than happy to include it with ATM :)

If you share the config I would be more than happy to include it with ATM :)

Here you go =)

ACTIVE_TEXTURE_MANAGER_CONFIG
{
folder = UmbraSpaceIndustries
enabled = true
OVERRIDES
{

UmbraSpaceIndustries/[^/]*
{
compress = true
mipmaps = false
scale = 1
max_size = 0
make_not_readable = false
}

UmbraSpaceIndustries/MKS/ORS.*
{
compress = false
mipmaps = false
scale = 1
max_size = 0
make_not_readable = false
}
}
}

Thanks for the update, its awesome.

Is there a chance you update the op? with these links, so in the discussion they are a little bit hidden.

Wow, rbray89 - the 3-3 release is AMAZING. Under 3-1 and 0.24, I couldn't shoehorn in all the mods I wanted to (and I was deliberately avoiding many of the parts-heavy mods like KWRocketry and KSP Interstellar). Not only does 3-3 greatly reduce the memory footprint, but it looks like a lot of the textures are a lot sharper than previously - especially controls and buttons, and interior details. Were there improvements made in that area? Outstanding - this mod is still my most valued mod.

(especially since I am on OSX and both laptops have only 4GB of physical RAM)

Kind of a strange question, but why would you ever use ATM in x64? Unless your RAM is less than 8 Gb I guess...which would most likely mean your GPU and CPU are about 4-5 years behind the current generation too, in which case there would be point to use ATM.

Version 3.3.1 basic loads fine under KSP 0.24 32bit.

But on Space Center Screen, when I klick on one other scene, like R&D and go back to SCS all buttons stop working.

No scene change or even exit game is possible.

Debug console works and says NullReferenceException.

Output.log here.

Revert ATM to version 3.1 and all works as it should.

Other mods that I have installed (all at latest version):

000_Toolbar
ActionGroupManager
ActiveTextureManagement
BahaConstellation
BahaEPL
BahaSP
BoulderCo
CactEye
Chatterer
CrewXfer
DeadlyReentry
DebRefund
DistantObject
FASA
Firespitter
Greenhouse
HullCameraVDS
Hyomoto
JSI
KAS
Klockheed_Martian
Klockheed_Martian_CoolRockets
Klockheed_Martian_Special
KSO
KSPX
KWRocketry
LaunchCountDown
MagicSmokeIndustries
MechJeb2
MechJeb2RPM
ModStatistics
Modulefixer
ModuleManager.2.2.0.dll
NASAmission
NothkeSerCom
nothke_DROMOMAN
OpenResourceSystem
PartCatalog
PorkWorks
ResearchThemAll
SCANsat
SDHI
SmokeScreen
Squad
TextureReplacer
ThunderAerospace
toolbar-settings.dat
TriggerTech
UmbraSpaceIndustries
UniversalStorage
WorldCup2014
XanderTek

Version 3.3.1 basic loads fine under KSP 0.24 32bit.

But on Space Center Screen, when I klick on one other scene, like R&D and go back to SCS all buttons stop working.

No scene change or even exit game is possible.

Debug console works and says NullReferenceException.

Output.log here.

Revert ATM to version 3.1 and all works as it should.

Other mods that I have installed (all at latest version):

000_Toolbar
ActionGroupManager
ActiveTextureManagement
BahaConstellation
BahaEPL
BahaSP
BoulderCo
CactEye
Chatterer
CrewXfer
DeadlyReentry
DebRefund
DistantObject
FASA
Firespitter
Greenhouse
HullCameraVDS
Hyomoto
JSI
KAS
Klockheed_Martian
Klockheed_Martian_CoolRockets
Klockheed_Martian_Special
KSO
KSPX
KWRocketry
LaunchCountDown
MagicSmokeIndustries
MechJeb2
MechJeb2RPM
ModStatistics
Modulefixer
ModuleManager.2.2.0.dll
NASAmission
NothkeSerCom
nothke_DROMOMAN
OpenResourceSystem
PartCatalog
PorkWorks
ResearchThemAll
SCANsat
SDHI
SmokeScreen
Squad
TextureReplacer
ThunderAerospace
toolbar-settings.dat
TriggerTech
UmbraSpaceIndustries
UniversalStorage
WorldCup2014
XanderTek

Hmmm... looks like I need to exclude the agencies directory. For some reason, Squad reads the pixels on the logos it looks like.

Kind of a strange question, but why would you ever use ATM in x64? Unless your RAM is less than 8 Gb I guess...which would most likely mean your GPU and CPU are about 4-5 years behind the current generation too, in which case there would be point to use ATM.

The moment x64 runs without hitch - in a really long gamesession (not a testrun) with all the popular mods and for at least 95% of the playerbase (!) - there may be no need of this ATM anymore for players with more that 4gb. Not a moment earlier. Right now x64 - great as it is - is more of a roulette of sorts, and when your installation with mods does not work the way it should it is no help to read from the usual suspects in forums that everything works fine if it can not be reproduced by everyone.

In short ATM delivers, KSP x64 does not. And, at the time x64 is bugfree i`m nearly certain that rbray is around with a new and great way to optimize KSP gameplay :)

Edited by smart013

As NathanKell says in the post above, ATM can help those with start-up problems eg without ATM I cannot run Interstellar at all, even as the only mod in a clean install.

Also, the many problems I was experiencing with various combinations of mods have vanished since I started to include ATM in my mod list. Reasons? Unknown. But I'll take what I can get.

Why use x64 at all if you are using ATM?

My reason is simple, x64 is the future for KSP. The more people using it, the more people we have testing it, the more test reports are generated. With more information available and a confirmed user base for x64, the more likely SQUAD will prioritise x64 investigations and bug fixes.

Once again a big thank you to rbray89 for the mod and his continued support.