[1.0][Release-5-0][April 28, 2015] Active Texture Management - Save RAM!

rbray89

Kind of a strange question, but why would you ever use ATM in x64? Unless your RAM is less than 8 Gb I guess...which would most likely mean your GPU and CPU are about 4-5 years behind the current generation too, in which case there would be point to use ATM.

MacBook Air frequently only has 4GB of RAM in the newest iterations. Ditto for many entry-level Win8.1 laptops. In the case of the Air, no hardware upgrade is possible. Also, since KSP is Unity, there's always a chance it could be ported to Android, and there are 4GB tablets out there as well. For most games, keeping compatibility with the consumer market is a good thing. There will always be mods that stress resources - the beauty of ATM is that it makes a modded game accessible to almost everyone.

rbray89, this may be related to your mentioning the need to exclude the agencies directory, but otherwise an incredibly minor glitch in 32 bit 3.3.1 Aggressive. Which is performing beautifully I might add. Thanks again, guy.

AlPCwGs.png

Edited by lincourtl

Yes, set enabled to false in Squad.cfg works.

I remember helldiver mentioned something like this before.

I dont usually quibble over credit, but that originated with me :)

As well as the suggestion that the Agencies folder be excluded from processing.

I have the .truecolor issue fixed, (is is a bitmap BTW.) but I need to have it so that it leaves them readable.

Uhm uh, sorry! At least I remembered partially right that someone wrote about that earlier. :)

Never heard about .truecolor file extension before.

Some Part mods offer both High and a Low resolution editions. For my favorite part packs, I wouldn't mind having a little bit higher resolution. But does it matter very much which I choose since ATM is going to resize everything anyhow? Please give me some insight?

I've tried everything I could think of and still it crashes. Hopefully, you guys can get this to work properly.

Ouch. Many errors in your log file you have! I don't know enough to comment more.

Of most interest perhaps are:

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

at Romfarer.Util.LightTexture (UnityEngine.Texture2D texture, Single v) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at Romfarer.Util.get_LazorSkin () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at Romfarer.RuntimeLogic.OnGUI () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

7/23/2014 2:12:54 AM,KerbalAlarmClock,Adding DrawGUI to PostRender Queue

(Filename: C:/BuildAgent/work/d63dfc6385190b60/artifacts/StandalonePlayerGenerated/UnityEngineDebug.cpp Line: 49)

ArgumentException: Getting control 0's position in a group with only 0 controls when doing Repaint

Aborting

at UnityEngine.GUILayoutGroup.GetNext () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at UnityEngine.GUILayoutUtility.DoGetRect (UnityEngine.GUIContent content, UnityEngine.GUIStyle style, UnityEngine.GUILayoutOption[] options) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at UnityEngine.GUILayoutUtility.GetRect (UnityEngine.GUIContent content, UnityEngine.GUIStyle style, UnityEngine.GUILayoutOption[] options) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at UnityEngine.GUILayout.DoToggle (Boolean value, UnityEngine.GUIContent content, UnityEngine.GUIStyle style, UnityEngine.GUILayoutOption[] options) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at UnityEngine.GUILayout.Toggle (Boolean value, System.String text, UnityEngine.GUIStyle style, UnityEngine.GUILayoutOption[] options) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at Romfarer.RuntimeLogic.GUIwindow_SpaceCenter (Int32 windowID) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at UnityEngine.GUILayout+LayoutedWindow.DoWindow (Int32 windowID) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at UnityEngine.GUI.CallWindowDelegate (UnityEngine.WindowFunction func, Int32 id, UnityEngine.GUISkin _skin, Int32 forceRect, Single width, Single height, UnityEngine.GUIStyle style) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

UnityException: Texture 'BoulderCo/Clouds/Textures/aurora' is not readable, the texture memory can not be accessed from scripts. You can make the texture readable in the Texture Import Settings.

at (wrapper managed-to-native) UnityEngine.Texture2D:GetPixelBilinear (single,single)

at Clouds.CloudParticle.Update (UnityEngine.Texture2D tex) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at Clouds.VolumeSection.Update () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at Clouds.VolumeManager.Update (Vector3 pos) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at Clouds.CloudLayer.UpdateParticleClouds (Vector3 WorldPos) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at Clouds.Clouds.Update () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

(Filename: Line: -1)

UnityException: Texture 'BoulderCo/Clouds/Textures/aurora' is not readable, the texture memory can not be accessed from scripts. You can make the texture readable in the Texture Import Settings.

at (wrapper managed-to-native) UnityEngine.Texture2D:GetPixelBilinear (single,single)

at Clouds.CloudParticle.Update (UnityEngine.Texture2D tex) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at Clouds.CloudLayer.UpdateParticleClouds (Vector3 WorldPos) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

(Filename: Line: -1)

UnityException: Texture 'BoulderCo/Clouds/Textures/kerbin1' is not readable, the texture memory can not be accessed from scripts. You can make the texture readable in the Texture Import Settings.

List of your mods...

000_Toolbar

B9_Aerospace

Back-Up

BobCatind

BoulderCo

CleverWalrus

CSS

CustomAsteroids

D12Battletech

DEMV Mark3 EX

DEMV Mk1

DEMV Mk2 v0.18.1

DEMV MK5 for 0.18

EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements

ExtraplanetaryLaunchpads

FASA

GenesisRage

HabitatPack

HooliganLabs

JSI

KAS

KittopiaSpace

KSPX

KWRocketry

Lionhead_Aerospace_Inc

MagicSmokeIndustries

NASAmission

NavyFish

NovaPunch2

OpenResourceSystem

OrbitusII

Philotical

PluginData

PMV-25

PMV-50

ProceduralDynamics

SH_mods

SovietPack

Squad

SurfaceLights

ThunderAerospace

TriggerTech

VNG

I would start with a clean install of KSP, make sure it runs.

Add ATM, make sure it runs.

Now decide which mods you think are most important, add them one at a time and each time make sure KSP runs.

If you get to the end of your list then party. If you don't get to the end of your list then at least you have the mods you most want... maybe.

If it's any consolation for you, I've spent an hour trying to work out why KW 2.6b works on my PC, KSP x64, but KW2.6c would only work after a reboot. The result? I have no idea why it should be like this but I do know that after removing Kerbal Alarm Clock I no longer need the reboot, so, no sleep for me during those long transfers :(

Edit:

... Which then broke again for unknown reasons. x64, x64. Why do you hate me so :(

Edited by ecat

Is this the type of mod that can still run even if it's for 0.23.5?

or should I definitely wait for 0.24?

Maybe it will work, personally I would wait till it's updated for 0.24. I've had a lot of issues with mods since the update (ships disappearing, exploding etc), it's really not worth the risk.

Maybe it will work, personally I would wait till it's updated for 0.24. I've had a lot of issues with mods since the update (ships disappearing, exploding etc), it's really not worth the risk.

Actually, the first post says this mod has been updated for 0.24, and I've been running it with no issues. Saved me 1.2GB of RAM. Of course, I'm still on 32-bit KSP, so I'm not sure how it interacts with 64-bit KSP.

This ran great for me on the hacked 64bit Unity exe for 0.23.5. I think it doesn't run well for the official 64bit version. And I have the same mods in 0.23.5 as I do now.

Edited by Furious1964

Did the .24.1 patch just break ATM again? Steam auto updated KSP on me in between sessions, and within a matter of hours what was once running at a respectable 2.2-2.5 Gb of RAM is now bloated back up to over 3.2 Gb. I did install a few mods in between, but none that should've caused that kind of jump, and walking back on the installations isn't helping.

I think you misunderstood me. I already have 0.24 (now 0.24.1 because Steam updated) and the game crashes when I use either the basic or aggressive version with the 64bit game client. I don't run 32bit because of the amount of mods I have. All I'm saying is that this might not be fully tested with 64bit.

I think you misunderstood me. I already have 0.24 (now 0.24.1 because Steam updated) and the game crashes when I use either the basic or aggressive version with the 64bit game client. I don't run 32bit because of the amount of mods I have. All I'm saying is that this might not be fully tested with 64bit.

Are you using the x64 version of ATM? There's two, x86 (32 bit) and x64 (64 bit)

https://github.com/rbray89/ActiveTextureManagement/releases/download/3-3-1-aggressive/x64-Release.zip

I've the x86 version and have the same problem with 0.24.1, ATM doesn't work anymore.

There's seems to be no compression, before the update I had approximately 2gb ram usage, now I have 3Gb+ and the game crashes :(

I'm a big fan of ATM (um... this one, not the... other... ATM....), and fully support it and hope it continues development and have used it often and well over my KSP efforts....

.... but to whomever posted the thing about forcing OpenGL, OH MY SPACE KRAKEN have you made a difference for me. I've been pushing the 32bit memory frontier pretty much forever. ATM made the game playable for me again. So I come not to bury Caesar, but to praise him. But OpenGL... holy schnikeys. My KSP.exe memory footprint was running at about 3.4GB with my preferred mods loaded up, and was, shall we say, a bit unstable, as small things could and would push the memory load over the limits into Crashville.

With the OpenGL force? The memory footprint is down to...... (make sure you're holding on to something....)

About 750MB.

THAT is a significant difference. Game changing! (Literally.)

I'm a big fan of ATM (um... this one, not the... other... ATM....), and fully support it and hope it continues development and have used it often and well over my KSP efforts....

.... but to whomever posted the thing about forcing OpenGL, OH MY SPACE KRAKEN have you made a difference for me. I've been pushing the 32bit memory frontier pretty much forever. ATM made the game playable for me again. So I come not to bury Caesar, but to praise him. But OpenGL... holy schnikeys. My KSP.exe memory footprint was running at about 3.4GB with my preferred mods loaded up, and was, shall we say, a bit unstable, as small things could and would push the memory load over the limits into Crashville.

With the OpenGL force? The memory footprint is down to...... (make sure you're holding on to something....)

About 750MB.

THAT is a significant difference. Game changing! (Literally.)

Same here. Opengl, plus ATM basic, and the optimizations of .24 its a whole new game for me. Simply no crash anymore, after i got used to it every 1-2 hours in 23.5. right now when something crashes its my fault :)

Same here. Opengl, plus ATM basic, and the optimizations of .24 its a whole new game for me. Simply no crash anymore, after i got used to it every 1-2 hours in 23.5. right now when something crashes its my fault :)

So opengl, plus ATM basic does work on .24.1? Since the .24.1 update my game has slowed at times and, I had been waiting to see if ATM was going to update. An update would probably be best but if using an opengl works, that would be good enough for now.