[1.0][Release-5-0][April 28, 2015] Active Texture Management - Save RAM!

rbray89

would it be possible to make this mod have some sort of an ingame menu where I could have a ship selected either in construction bay or in flight and somehow click a button to add the line to the .cfg file to ignore the textures used for the ship or to again process textures for the ship. and of course a button to remove all said "ignore" blocks from the cfg.

The idea being I have the aggressive mod running so all textures look sort of crappy. but if I wanted to make a screen shot involving a specific vehicle I have made, I could easily click the button to ignore the textures used on the ship, then reload the textures and take a screen shot. if this would need a restart in between or something that would be fine as well. basically I would just like an easy ay to ensure the textures used on the target vehicle get left at full size for the photo session.

Hi!

Maybe I sound stupid but I haven't understood how to install this mod. Could anyone tell me how to install it step-by-step?

Thanks.

You just place the folder in your GameData directory. so you have something like this....

\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\ActiveTextureManagement

\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\BoulderCo

If I recall these are the only 2 directories involved. but if there are others in the zip file just do the same. After you copy the folders just run the game, you do not need to do anything else. You will not see any indicators it is running other than your memory use will go down dramatically. Once you get the hang of what is going on you can tweak the settings if you want, but this is not necessary. the mod does very well all on its own.

You just place the folder in your GameData directory. so you have something like this....

\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\ActiveTextureManagement

\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\BoulderCo

Without getting too technical, I think it would be fair to add that keeping general tabs on what other mods you have installed would be helpful. In this case, "BoulderCo" is a folder that might already exist from other mods (notably Better Atmospheres and EVE). In which case, make sure to click YES to "merge" and "overwrite" all duplicated subfolders and files.

Is it just me doing something wrong, or is this broken? I run (what I think is) the Aggresive mode, and my game keeps crashing just as if I don't have this mod at all? I've tried all versions in the download, neither works? Please help...

Edit: I've tried all versions with both 32 and 64 bit, and I'm running 0.24.2

I am not sure on how to install this plugin. When I tried installing it, I would chuck the ATM and the config folders into the game data folder and when I went to launch the game, it froze up and task manager said the game wasn't responding. Can someone tell how to install this plugin?

I am having trouble figuring out how to install this beast. I think the total package is this? https://github.com/rbray89/ActiveTextureManagement

Sorry if it is spelled out somewhere but I am not finding it. When I copy over and merge the folders, I just get a game boot/crash.

This is NOT the freeze I expect. It is a complete game crash.

Also - What is this "aggressive vs normal" I can select between?

Thank you for the help!

Edited by barlow.a

Where da aggressive version .....hs

`

consider the releases page: the Basic version is marked, the other version is aggressive. Aggressive uses more aggressive methods to shrink memory footprint.

to quote from the main page:

What Basic does:

• Compresses all non-normal map textures to DXT format
  • Generates mipmaps for all textures.
  • Only resizes normal maps to 1/2 size, with a max of 512x512.

What Aggressive does:

• Compresses all non-normal map textures to DXT format
  • Generates mipmaps for all non-normal map textures.
  • Rresizes all textures to 1/2 size, with a max of 256x256 for normal maps.

the aggressive version is preferred, unless you have visual quality problems, then you should try the basic version and see if it gets better or not.

Hi everyone!

I'm having problems loading KSP with different mods and I'm getting crazy :confused:. I think the issue is linked with Active Texture Managmenent and Interstellar mod 0.12.1: the game starts loading and reaches the window with the Squad Monkey, but stops loading after a few seconds with the file WarpPlugin/Plugins/InterstellarToolbar (there's no crash nor white screen, the game just remains loading that file...). The last lines of KSP.log are the ones reported. I also tried to remove ATM and the game actually loads correctly (InterstellarToolbar included), but it obviously crashes after a while because it runs out of memory.

Do you have any hint on how to solve this problem? Thank you!!

\GameData\WarpPlugin\Plugins\InterstellarToolbar.dll

[LOG 19:53:50.173] AssemblyLoader: Loading assemblies

[ERR 19:53:50.175] AssemblyLoader: Assembly 'MechJebRPM' has not met dependency 'MechJeb2' V2.3

[ERR 19:53:50.176] AssemblyLoader: Assembly 'MechJebRPM' is missing 1 dependencies

[LOG 19:53:50.235] TestManager: Adding unit test: KineTechAnimationModuleLoader

[LOG 19:53:50.243] TestManager: Adding unit test: KineTechAnimationModuleLoader

[LOG 19:53:50.247] TestManager: Adding unit test: KineTechAnimationModuleLoader

[LOG 19:53:50.252] TestManager: Adding unit test: KineTechAnimationModuleLoader

[LOG 19:53:50.296] AddonLoader: Instantiating addon 'ModuleManager' from assembly 'ModuleManager'

[LOG 19:53:50.329] [ModuleManager] Adding ModuleManager to the loading screen 2

[LOG 19:53:50.331] AddonLoader: Instantiating addon 'ToolbarManager' from assembly 'Toolbar'

[LOG 19:53:50.356] AddonLoader: Instantiating addon 'ActiveTextureManagement' from assembly 'ActiveTextureManagement'

[LOG 19:53:50.366] ActiveTextureManagement: Settings:

[LOG 19:53:50.367] ActiveTextureManagement: mipmaps: True

[LOG 19:53:50.368] ActiveTextureManagement: compress: True

[LOG 19:53:50.369] ActiveTextureManagement: scale: 1

[LOG 19:53:50.370] ActiveTextureManagement: max_size: 0

[LOG 19:53:50.371] ActiveTextureManagement: mipmaps_normals: True

[LOG 19:53:50.372] ActiveTextureManagement: compress_normals: False

[LOG 19:53:50.373] ActiveTextureManagement: scale_normals: 2

[LOG 19:53:50.374] ActiveTextureManagement: max_size_normals: 512

What's the difference between the x64 and x86 downloads? Forgive me if this seems common sense to some but I didn't get my first pc until well into my 30's. This raises questions for me. I have a 32 and 64 bit install. Should I Have installed my 64bit into the c:/programfilesx86 directory? Sorry if this is a dumb question but a lot about computers is hokus pokus to me.

What's the difference between the x64 and x86 downloads? Forgive me if this seems common sense to some but I didn't get my first pc until well into my 30's. This raises questions for me. I have a 32 and 64 bit install. Should I Have installed my 64bit into the c:/programfilesx86 directory? Sorry if this is a dumb question but a lot about computers is hokus pokus to me.

long and short: if you start KSP from the KSP.EXE, use the 32 bit. if you use KSP_x64.exe, use the 64 bit. the different bitiness refers to the word size of the program. most modern chips run x64 faster and better, but Unity is kinda full of bees when running in x64 mode. for more info, consider

, esp starting around 1:00

Hi everyone!

I'm having problems loading KSP with different mods and I'm getting crazy :confused:. I think the issue is linked with Active Texture Managmenent and Interstellar mod 0.12.1: the game starts loading and reaches the window with the Squad Monkey, but stops loading after a few seconds with the file WarpPlugin/Plugins/InterstellarToolbar (there's no crash nor white screen, the game just remains loading that file...). The last lines of KSP.log are the ones reported. I also tried to remove ATM and the game actually loads correctly (InterstellarToolbar included), but it obviously crashes after a while because it runs out of memory.

Do you have any hint on how to solve this problem? Thank you!!

That is completely normal and is supposed to happen. The mod is just loading the textures when this happens. Leave it set for a few minutes and it should load properly.

So, forgive my ignorance here, but does this help reduce the chop and frame rate reduction when flying in or near ships(stations) with huge parts counts? I'm about half done building a Minimus-based Station Science station(also has MP and LF storage for "miscalcuations" during ordinary exploration missions) and the parts count is already getting high enough to halve my frame rate. When I send up complicated parts deliveries(i.e. solar arrays, KAS crate deliveries, fuel trucks, etc...), or when my satellite passes by, it gets pretty hard to dock anything. If this helps alleviate that I'll use it in a heartbeat. I'm concerned that its going to get pretty ridiculous by the time the rest of the parts are attached...

Edited by SleepyWeasel
spelling