BROKEN [0.90] TextureReplacer 2.1.2 (20.12.2014)

shaw

So I've been using this for skybox replacement forever, but I've started poking around with Kerbal textures, and now I have a question:

Is there a reasonably convenient way to have, say, half of the generic kerbals be the default/classic "black, widow's peak" sort, and the other half a random mix? Without, say, making multiple copies of the default texture so that the ratio comes out right, or doing it all by hand - putting everyone's name in the config file and flipping a coin to see what they get?

You mean heads or suits?

Each head has an equal chance of being selected, so you have to make multiple copies of the default head.

If you mean just suits, you can make a hack with female suits. Make two copies of each head and you add one from each pair to `femaleHeads` list. Then add the only the "default" suit to `femaleSuits` list. This way you have 50% chance that the "female" copy of a head texture is selected, which is always paired with the "default" suit, and 50% for randomised.

Edited by shaw

Yeah, I'm fine with the suits as they are. I'm just wanting heads, and for the default head to be the dominant phenotype, as it were. I'm pushing memory as it is - had a couple of crashes when loading the full set - so I guess that'll have to wait for .24.

• 2 weeks later...

v1.6 released.

IVA replacments work in a different way now and are performed for inactive vessels too, so all Kerbals in transparent pods are properly personalised with both sfr and JSITransparentPod (from RasterPropMonitor 0.17).

Full change log:

- changed the way how internal spaces are treated, it should now work fine with transparent pods using JSITransparentPod and sfr mods

- helmets are also removed in pre-launch to handle rovers & stuff correctly

- tab characters can be used as list separators in configuration files

I recently downloaded TextureReplacer as well as J's Specialized Kerbal Suit Pack (here: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/60961-0-23-5-TextureReplacer-1-5-10-7-6-2014-IVA-Helmets-Removal/page96?p=1192556#post1192556)

In J's Specialized Kerbal Suit Pack, it mentions that you can (arbitrarily) set red suits for mission commanders, blue for scientists, and yellow for engineers.

In different missions, I will have different kerbals playing different roles (i.e. Jeb will always be the mission commander, but sometimes Bob is the scientist, and sometimes he is the engineer). Is there anyway to get Texture Replacer to "smart" assign the correct coloured EVA suits, depending on the role of the Kerbal (I have been getting around this by manually editing the custom Kerbal portion of the cfg file everytime I put a Kerbal on a different mission).

If you set `suitAssignment = consecutive` in `TextureReplacer/@Default.cfg` and rename suits to "Commander", "Engineer" and "Scientist", deleting all others. Then, every third Kerbal starting with Jeb will have commander's suit, every third starting with Bill engineer's and every third starting with Bob will have scientist's suit. That's how I do it.

Thanks for your comment. That solution is closer to what I want, but still not exactly what I want (perhaps what I want isn't even possible).

For sake of convenience, assume I have the following mission with the following Kerbals (I will just use generic "A1" "B2" etc names for brevity).

Following your instructions, the following becomes true (I also know that the colours are arbitrary):

A1 Kerman = Commander suit (red)

B2 Kerman = Engineer suit (yellow)

C3 Kerman = Scientist suit (blue)

D4 Kerman = Red

E5 Kerman = Yellow

F6 Kerman = Blue

and so forth.

However, using a mod that allows you to see the crew "roles" in IVA mode (i.e. Rasterprop), the order typically goes:

A1 Kerman = Commander

B2 Kerman = Pilot

C3 Kerman = Medic

D4 Kerman = Engineer

E5 Kerman = Scientist

F6 Kerman = Crew member #1

G7 Kerman = Crew member #2

etc (further Kerbals are simply "generic" Kerbals)

Is there anyway to get the roles from list 2 to match up with those in list 1? I understand that J's specialized Kerbal suit pack only has 3 suits, but if I were to copy two suits, would the Kerbal suits be generated in cycles of 5 (instead of the current 3)?

How would I set it such that the Kerbals listed as "crew members" get the default (non-coloured) suits?

Actually, that sort of functionality would be exactly what the Crew Files API mod would be good for, you would assign roles to kerbals, and suits could come with the roles... I don't think what you want can be done with current mods though.

holy moly I just noticed when the helmet appears on the kerbal's head it seems like they lock it in place. At first I thought it was just them swinging their arms all happy but the helmet actually twists. The little things!

However, using a mod that allows you to see the crew "roles" in IVA mode (i.e. Rasterprop), the order typically goes:

A1 Kerman = Commander

B2 Kerman = Pilot

C3 Kerman = Medic

D4 Kerman = Engineer

E5 Kerman = Scientist

F6 Kerman = Crew member #1

G7 Kerman = Crew member #2

etc (further Kerbals are simply "generic" Kerbals)

Is there anyway to get the roles from list 2 to match up with those in list 1? I understand that J's specialized Kerbal suit pack only has 3 suits, but if I were to copy two suits, would the Kerbal suits be generated in cycles of 5 (instead of the current 3)?

How would I set it such that the Kerbals listed as "crew members" get the default (non-coloured) suits?

I think those roles depend on the seat they're sitting in, not the kerbals themselves. That would be something to test. Launch a mission, switch seats, and see if the kerbals have switched roles or not. You could also run a mission, check their role, then recrew the mission with a different order and see if the roles change or not.

That'd tell you if there's something to it, or it depends on the seats.

I think those roles depend on the seat they're sitting in, not the kerbals themselves. That would be something to test. Launch a mission, switch seats, and see if the kerbals have switched roles or not. You could also run a mission, check their role, then recrew the mission with a different order and see if the roles change or not.

That'd tell you if there's something to it, or it depends on the seats.

I haven't tried switching seats in missions (or rather, I haven't done it while paying attention to the roles, in particular).

However, I know that if you change the crew order in the crew tab prior to launch, the roles of the Kerbals change.

Something to test when I'm home from work!

I haven't tried switching seats in missions (or rather, I haven't done it while paying attention to the roles, in particular).

However, I know that if you change the crew order in the crew tab prior to launch, the roles of the Kerbals change.

Something to test when I'm home from work!

If that's the case I don't see any way of setting specific Kerbals to specific roles, I think Rasterprop just sets each seat to a specific role, or consecutively. That means there would be no way to set for example "Jebediah Kerman" to "Scientist." The best you could do is set their suit to the specific role suit by name.

If that's the case I don't see any way of setting specific Kerbals to specific roles, I think Rasterprop just sets each seat to a specific role, or consecutively. That means there would be no way to set for example "Jebediah Kerman" to "Scientist." The best you could do is set their suit to the specific role suit by name.

RPM just has variables that return names of kerbals found in specific seat numbers. The notion of a role is illusory -- we just wanted to write something more interesting than a seat number in there.

Which is why I mentioned Crew Files API - if we get both TR and RPM integrated with it, roles could be a thing.

RPM just has variables that return names of kerbals found in specific seat numbers. The notion of a role is illusory -- we just wanted to write something more interesting than a seat number in there.

Which is why I mentioned Crew Files API - if we get both TR and RPM integrated with it, roles could be a thing.

That would be fantastic, and I'm sure there would be some very great suit packs to come with it.

Yep. I just tested your theory; I tried EVAing Kerbals that were in orbit, and checked back on the crew roles in IVA mode. If the order was (say) Jeb, Bob and Bill, with Jeb being the commander, once Jeb EVA'ed, Bob would become the commander. Even if Jeb re-entered, Bob would still be the commander. However, if Bob then EVA'ed, Bill would become the new commander!

Too bad I don't know enough coding to be of any use to anyone! This would definitely be something that would be interesting to work on!

I guess for the time being I'll just stick with what I have.

how do i set heads for kerbals cause jeb is a girl

This was in the in configuration file:

CustomKerbals

{

// Custom heads and suits for specific Kerbals. Entries are of the form:

//

// Name = headTex [suitDir]

//

// where `headTex` is an image (without extension) inside `Heads/` and

// `suitDir` is a subdirectory inside `Suits/` containing textures for a

// suit. `DEFAULT` keeps the default head/suit textures from `Default/` and

// `GENERIC` assigns a generic head/suit using the same rules as for the

// generic Kerbals. If `suitDir` is missing then `GENERIC` is assumed.

//

// Examples:

//

// Huey Kerman = head1 Suit1

// Dewey Kerman = head2 DEFAULT

// Louie Kerman = head3

// Donald Kerman = DEFAULT DEFAULT

// Daisy Kerman = DEFAULT

// Scrooge Kerman = GENERIC Suit2

I'm sorry if this has been adressed before, I've combed the thread and still don't understand it.

Is there any way to make EVA suits random for kerbals, Universe Replacer style? I remember when I had that with Klakh's pack my EVA'd kerbas would spawn with one of three different textures, randomly selected. I understand that this is a feature in Texture Replacer, but I don't understand it, even after consulting things like the Green Skull "idiot-proof" guide. Would anyone be willing to help?

If you installed everything right,suits should be randomly selected by default.You don't need to do anything else.Just make sure all suits are in suit directory,each suit in it's own folder with all textures.Also make sure that there are no suits in default folder.