[1.0] XT Landertron - Smart Retrorockets for Landers and Spaceplanes v0.08 Oct 10

XanderTek

I was having a look at your usage of the hexcans for carrying solidfuel slugs. I am not sure exactly how you are doing it, it seems you are loading the fuel as a resource into the hexcan, but somehow a kerbal can pull it out as a part?

Is it possible to store these slugs in any other ways, for ex, as a part in a KAS container, or perhaps making up a new universal storage wedge for it? Hexcans are very versatile, but they do stickout somewhat on streamlined ships.

Yep, the hexcans can already be stored inside KAS containers. The hexcan has solidfuel inside when you select it in the VAB. Currently there's no way to add solidfuel to a hexcan. It's the same as any other fuel tank, with the exception that solidfuel can't flow between containers. When a landertron senses that a part with solidfuel is directly attached to it, the landertron deletes that part and adds the solidfuel to its own reserves.

Ohh, so when I am refueling a landertron, I'm not taking some of the solid fuel out of a hexcan, I am taking the hexcan itself and the landertron is absorbing the whole thing?

Hexcans already go in a KAS KAN? o\ oops maybe should have checked lol.

I just discovered this mod and I think it's fantastic. I'm wondering why you don't just release it now, it looks decent. In any case, I'm adding this to my KSP game once I update it to 0.25. I can think of a few Mun landings that would have gone better if I'd had these instead.

Ohh, so when I am refueling a landertron, I'm not taking some of the solid fuel out of a hexcan, I am taking the hexcan itself and the landertron is absorbing the whole thing?

Correct! Just attach the hexcan to the landertron using KAS. The hexcan will vanish, and the fuel will automatically be transferred to the rocket.

I just discovered this mod and I think it's fantastic. I'm wondering why you don't just release it now, it looks decent. In any case, I'm adding this to my KSP game once I update it to 0.25. I can think of a few Mun landings that would have gone better if I'd had these instead.

Thanks! Yeah, I've been considering switching over to the release forum for a while now. I suppose the mod is functioning as intended at this point. Ok, next update will be version 1.0.0!

You have to keep the plugin if you want the engines to have animations.

Actually, my plugin handles the animations for the landertrons, thanks to some of your code. I wanted the animations to trigger under different circumstances, and that was the best way I could figure out to make it happen. You make some really amazing mods! I hope you don't mind me repurposing some of your models here. They were pretty much exactly what I had in mind, and so far my own attempts at blender haven't gone well :P

Wanted to take a moment to thank you for this mod. Have been able to try the latest version and has worked beautifully! Using them on landers and planes with great success. Haven't tried refueling yet but after reading about that above it is on my to try list :)

• 3 weeks later...

nice idea

can that system could be used in"clasical" lander?(ofc with powerfull enough engines?) my point is could i add for ex that module to other LFO or even karbonite engines(so we will have more variants)

and u could use other fuels or even aadd your own wich will have no flow but could be manualy transfered(like forex Eva monopropelant)

and i love Bahamuto's animations glad u use them so i will see them more ofen

It's REALLY a nice job!

all right. I'm working on two little cfgs to modify this mod a little bit. These cfgs adds a TweakScale module onto the engines, and create new parts on KW and B9's little SRBs as landertrons.

I'm sorry that I can't get a DL that works both inside and outside China, so I'll just post them out in the reply.

---------------------------------

The first one:

@PART[XTL1]
{
MODULE
{
name = TweakScale
type = free
}
}

@PART[XTL2]
{
MODULE
{
name = TweakScale
type = free
}
}

@PART[HexCanSF]
{
MODULE
{
name = TweakScale
type = free
}
}

@PART[XTL2B]
{
MODULE
{
name = TweakScale
type = free
}
}

The Second One:

+PART[KWsrbUllage]{

@name = C9-KW-XT1

@title = Ullage Motor For Landing Use
@manufacturer = KW Rocketry
@description = A higher power, solid fuel stage separation motor, once for separating heavy stages, now for landing.

@MODULE
{
name = ModuleEnginesFX
@minThrust = 400
@maxThrust = 400
}

@RESOURCE
{
name = SolidFuel
@amount = 24
@maxAmount = 24
}

+MODULE
{
name=Landertron
//[activation height]=[calculated height] x heightmultiplier + offset
//heightmultiplier=1.05
//offset=0.3
//endheight=0.1
endspeed=0.1
boom=false
mode=0
electricrate=0.05
}

+MODULE
{
name = TweakScale
type = free
}

}

+PART[KWsrbUllageLArge]
{

@name = C9-KW-XT2

@title = Large Ullage Motor For Landing Use
@manufacturer = KW Rocketry
@description = A higher power, solid fuel stage separation motor, once for separating heavy stages, now for landing.

@MODULE
{
name = ModuleEnginesFX
@minThrust = 900
@maxThrust = 900
}

@RESOURCE
{
name = SolidFuel
@amount = 60
@maxAmount = 60
}

+MODULE
{
name=Landertron
//heightmultiplier=1.05
//offset=0.3
//endheight=0.1
endspeed=0.1
boom=false
mode=0
electricrate=0.05
}

+MODULE
{
name = TweakScale
type = free
}
}

+PART[B9_Engine_T2_SRBS]
{

@name = C9-B9-XT1

@title = T2L Solid Rocket
@manufacturer = C9Aerospace
@description = A solid fuel stage separation motor, once for separating small tanks and other tasks, now for landing.

@MODULE
{
name = ModuleEnginesFX
@minThrust = 80
@maxThrust = 80
}

@RESOURCE
{
name = SolidFuel
@amount = 12
@maxAmount = 12
}

+MODULE
{
name=Landertron
//heightmultiplier=1.05
//offset=0.3
//endheight=0.1
endspeed=0.1
boom=false
mode=0
electricrate=0.05
}

+MODULE
{
name = TweakScale
type = free
}
}

-----------------------------

hope them work.

Edited by 01010101lzy
changing DL link

:D Glad to hear you guys are having fun with it! That's what keeps me coming back to the project.

The next feature will (probably) be a launch escape mode. When activated, the rocket immediately burns a certain percentage of its fuel, then remains armed and burns the rest of the fuel to land. The idea is that one set of rockets will both carry you away from a failed launch and set you down safely.

can that system could be used in"clasical" lander?

I've considered it. Currently the code only works with solidfuel rockets and bad stuff will happen if you add the module to any other part. Expanding it to work with all rockets is... tricky. The logic becomes a lot more complicated when you have to keep track of fuel all over the ship, and my code works best for very short burns that you typically wouldn't be able to achieve with other rocket parts. Also, MechJeb already does this, and I don't really want to reinvent the wheel. I will keep the request in mind, and see if I come across a simpler solution.

I'm working on two little cfgs to modify this mod a little bit. These cfgs adds a TweakScale module onto the engines, and create new parts on KW and B9's little SRBs as landertrons.

Neat! I had not thought about using tweakscale on these parts. Maybe I'll add that in a future update. Good idea.

Hey, I've got a new idea.

What if you add these configs on a liquid- fueled engine that has no fuel in it ?

Maybe you can just add a part that controls the engines to fire in order to land, like BDA or MJ does!

↑landing with liquid engines just like Dragon v2!

:D I've considered it. Currently the code only works with solidfuel rockets and bad stuff will happen if you add the module to any other part. Expanding it to work with all rockets is... tricky. The logic becomes a lot more complicated when you have to keep track of fuel all over the ship, and my code works best for very short burns that you typically wouldn't be able to achieve with other rocket parts. Also, MechJeb already does this, and I don't really want to reinvent the wheel. I will keep the request in mind, and see if I come across a simpler solution.

Okay, but MechJeb doesn't support FAR. Strange things happen.

• 2 weeks later...
Combined with airbags, it would be nice if we could set the target altitude, instead of it assuming it's always ground level.

That actually used to be an option, but I removed it because no one seemed to have a use for it and the right click menu was starting to get cluttered. I suppose I could re-add it. What do you think a reasonable max altitude would be? 50m?

I'm curious about why you'd need both landertrons and airbags though. Is this for Remotetech?

That actually used to be an option, but I removed it because no one seemed to have a use for it and the right click menu was starting to get cluttered. I suppose I could re-add it. What do you think a reasonable max altitude would be? 50m?

I'll probably be using it at ~10, so yes, 50m max is perfect.

I'm curious about why you'd need both landertrons and airbags though. Is this for Remotetech?

Yes, it's related to RemoteTech. I can't have an antenna extended during reentry and landing on Duna and Eve, and I like to do an aerocapture and land on the second pass, without spending any fuel. That means I often land from a highly eccentric orbit, and still have a lot of horizontal velocity when the landertrons fire. The idea is to have the landertrons target a few meters above the ground and drop the landing pod with airbags inflated, so it will roll a few meters with the remaining horizontal velocity.

To be 100% honest, I would like to land like the Spirit/Opportunity rovers:

• 2 weeks later...

If the icon is red it means the landertron's don;t have enough delta-v to stop you. You need to attach more, lighten your vessel, use something else to slow you down a bit first, or attempt the landing on a body with less gravity.

If the icon is red it means the landertron's don;t have enough delta-v to stop you. You need to attach more, lighten your vessel, use something else to slow you down a bit first, or attempt the landing on a body with less gravity.

but KER is showing I have 500+m/s dV and this vessel speed is about 100m/s I have tested it at Mun with the same results.

I believe it is a part / vessel orientation issue but not sure how to overcome it. I have tried placing girders upwards and attach the engines to them but no luck yet

If I flip the whole thing (and fiz some center of mass issues, keeping almost the same mass, thrust and deltaV) it does work

2014-12-04_00018.jpg

and fires

2014-12-04_00019.jpg

Hmm... that does look like a bug. I'll investigate.

EDIT: Yeah, it appears the "up" direction isn't updating when you "Control from here" on a different part. I'll do some testing this weekend and see if I can work up a fix.

Edited by XanderTek

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.