Resources - postponed, cancelled or reserved for a DLC?

czokletmuss

In your opinion, resources system is:  

1. 1. In your opinion, resources system is:

• Probably postponed
    • Probably reserved for a DLC
    • Probably cancelled :(

Remember this?

08hdJyjl.png

Well I do and I think it's potentialy one of the most crucial elements of the KSP. Although it's not a 4X game, adding "Exploit" to "Exploration" would open endless posibilities and would popularize ideas like in-situ resource utilization or made polar Mun base important due to the presence of ice (water -> rocket fuel and oxygen and, err, water). However, there wasn't any update from SQUAD on this in months. What could it mean? Here are the results of my speculations:

OPTION 1 - RESOURCES ARE POSTPONED

The most probable option. Squad realized that implementing this would a huge challenge, much bigger than the Science system and decided to postpone it for later, say 0.25 or 0.30.

OPTION 2 - RESOURCES ARE RESERVED FOR A DLC

Another possibly option. Seeing how huge the resources system is and how much it could add to the game it won't be unreasonable to not sell it in a separate DLC for $5-10. Now I know what you think:

igod-thisisanoutrage2.jpg

But I actually think DLC is a great idea. Why? First of all, Squad will make more money. It's good for us, because it means that the company will prosper and hey, who wouldn't want to buy KSP 2 in 5-6 years? Second of all, KSP is ridiculously cheap - I payed for it $16 and calculating (price/hours of fun) it was one of my best decisions ever in case of entertainment. Third of all, it'll be a guarantee of a decent resources system. Why? Because Squad will have a clear financial motivation to do so - and getting money from DLC could mean more free improvements for the KSP itself, just like Paradox does with CK2 or EU4.

Anyways, this is a possible option. The third one, unfortunately, also is possible

OPTION 3 - RESERVED ARE CANCELLED

I don't know for what reasons but sadly yes, it's possible.

So, to sum it up:

What I really would like to hear during Kerbalkon is official Squad statement about the resources system.

To be honest, it's even more important for me than 0.23 release. Too much time have passed without any clear information and I'm sure the community is concerned about this as well. Please Squad, whatever the decision was, just tell us - knowing something is always better than knowing nothing.

Signed,

czokletmuss

Well... if you care so little, why reply? :P

Because I can. Now seriously, I also like to see the resources system get implemented at some point in the future, but I think it is moot to discuss whether it will be in a DLC, in stock, or will be canceled (please not.) What's more, just adding a poll to your post because you can?

To the best of my knowledge, it's just postponed so they can get some Career stuff in place. After all, a good deal of the things associated with resources (collection, refining, general useability) don't make as much sense in sandbox as they would in career.

After all, a good deal of the things associated with resources (collection, refining, general useability) don't make as much sense in sandbox as they would in career.

I think they very much do, because they add challenge, even in sandbox. Of course you need to kind of roleplay the whole thing, but if you don't like to carry around heavy lifters and big transfer stages, you can set up shop on another planet where you can refill. Just look at Kethane, it is *incredibly* popular.

There's plenty of stuff still to be implemented; resources, money, drag, more planets, etc. I wouldn't get too anxious about your favourite expected feature not being in the game yet. Good things come to those who wait.

I think it is moot to discuss whether it will be in a DLC, in stock, or will be canceled (please not.) What's more, just adding a poll to your post because you can?

If it may make devs to think about this issue and give us an answer than no, it's not moot IMHO.

Hopefully - just postponed (and that seems to be the case judging from the informations we have). But if Squad reserved it for expansion or cancelled it completely, I will be extremely disappointed (much less in case of expansion scenario but still).

Surely postponed, considering that they already put a litle bit of work in it.

Maybe they thought about it and then decided that the resource system would be more fitting if it came as addition to a halfway fledged out career mode.

Or the "Science-System" is thought to be some kind of preliminary test for the resource system (after all here also is "mined" a resource ... Science)

I'm guessing postponed. Resources are an end game feature while squad is currently focusing on the career mode and the early game for newbies. Same thing for additional planets, procedural solar systems, biomes for Eeloo etc, all those things would be great for us advanced players who can design a decent Duna-return mission in our sleep. But it'd be utterly out of reach to the new player who can't even make orbit.

I remember they started it and decided after a little while that maybe they should finish what they started - namely, the "managing a space program" aspect of their original "manage a space program and build rockets" vision. It is what they promised us initially, after all.

I'm sure it'll be added in the future. Right now they're focusing on the science system, after that it's probably missions and money, to get the basics of the career mode working.

Resource system should come later, as they start implementing more large-scale space colonization features and such.

I'm guessing postponed. Resources are an end game feature while squad is currently focusing on the career mode and the early game for newbies. Same thing for additional planets, procedural solar systems, biomes for Eeloo etc, all those things would be great for us advanced players who can design a decent Duna-return mission in our sleep. But it'd be utterly out of reach to the new player who can't even make orbit.

Yes, its probably, add that some stuff like the science biomes would also be reused for resource areas, you might see science as an resource.

Postponed, i reckon. If KSP is semi-realistically following real life space programs...well. We can do science, we can find the resources, but our first steps towards exploating them are very tentative so far. Also, tweakables :) I think it's another important step towards implementing resources.

Postponed, i reckon. If KSP is semi-realistically following real life space programs...well. We can do science, we can find the resources, but our first steps towards exploating them are very tentative so far. Also, tweakables :) I think it's another important step towards implementing resources.

Like a few (apparently very few) others, I believe other aspects of the game should be further developed before resources. I've been making a point to play stock only (absolutely zero mods) until the game has entered a Beta state, although the line between Alpha and Beta are a bit blurred with this game as I consider it's current state to be stable enough to be considered Beta. I want to make sure any bugs I come across are due to the game and not due to mods in order to try and help development. As a result, I have never used resource mods and I don't really see the point in them being in the stock game since it parallels today's space programs. If you want resources, use mods. I can see why people want to harvest resources for money and fuel, but I think it's far more interesting and challenging to earn funding and bring fuel with you.

But I actually think DLC is a great idea. Why? First of all, Squad will make more money.

Jesus Christ

It's good for us

Not at all. Remember this bald guy called Notch? Yeah. That's what happens when devs do stuff wrong and keep getting money. And Squad is following the same path.

So easily supporting the DLC culture. Do you also support EA?

Now, something more on-topic:

I voted canned, guiding myself on hints given by maxmaps and sometimes even here in the forums.

I've never seen the image in OPs post before (I'm a bit of a newcomer to the KSP forums), but I would love to have a system like that in the game. I'm something of a purist when it comes to modding KSP, but if someones made something that involved it might be enough to change my mind (after 0.23 comes out).

On the topic at hand though, if some of the devs put that much thought into how a resource system would work I don't think they'd abandon the concept. Change it to fit into the KSP of today, certainly. But not cast it aside entirely. As for the DLC thing, I can't really see them offering a feature like that as additional content.

I vote for "Postponed"

Edited by Dean Harper

I am thinking its been cancelled. I started to think that when the research system started to be implemented. The devs were clearly concerned about the complexity of the game, and are trying to make it more accessible to lay persons by introducing the new parts in a way witch is less logical than is easily grasped. They would hardly plan to implement a feature (resources) that would further increase the complexity of the game by an order of magnitude.