[0.23] Alternis Kerbol - Release thread - [v0.1, Jan. 3] (development halted)

NovaSilisko

I'm still alive and well, It's just that I feel that I can't keep trying to fix this thing like patchwork every new patch and that a new long term solution is needed. Anyone can take my work a few threads back and do whatever you want with it. As for now I'm giving up.

Has anyone thought about putting together a Kopernicus config once that's done? I've got one that just rescales and shifts the planets, but once Kopernicus adds PQS support to the configs it should be possible to set up the system and hopefully avoid most of the bugs that Alternis had from the beginning.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Does anyone know what the altitude for a kerbin synchronous orbit is? I'm trying to set up a Communication satellite in my career mode save, but I had some trouble when I realized that one rotation is about 2days instead of 6 hours.

Assuming it runs, I don't think you can; not really at least. The best I was able to do was a synchronous orbit a ways behind Kerbin around Jool. I suspect the altitude needed is outside the SoI, but that was a bit of a seat of the pants save, so i'm not certain.

Assuming it runs, I don't think you can; not really at least. The best I was able to do was a synchronous orbit a ways behind Kerbin around Jool. I suspect the altitude needed is outside the SoI, but that was a bit of a seat of the pants save, so i'm not certain.

I think its possible, since I was able to manage orbit with a longer period than 2 days, but I'm not quite sure of the exact altitude it needs. I'll post it here if I ever find out.

• 1 month later...
Anyone tested in .9 yet?

IT'S NOT 0.9, DANGIT! THAT WAS RELEASED AGES AGO!!!

Ahem, now my rant is over, the proper way to refer to the current version is "0.90" If you say 0.9, you are referring to the legacy alpha version that was released on August 12, 2011, when KSP was somewhat as recognizable as it is today, but still had a long ways to go.

I'm reporting a bug that's happened to me several times. Whenever I reach the vicinity of Laythe, I always end up either being hurled at the surface at maybe 10,000 m/s or exploding in orbit. I'm not sure if it's just with the other mods I have or something else. Also, it tends to explode more often when I use HyperEdit, and I've already tested it at several different altitudes and still. :(

• 2 months later...

I guess it could be remade with KopernicusTech. I'll have a go if I have time, since all it would need is the art assets (height and color maps) which have a permitting license.

I think KopernicusTech is in the mostly stable state that the people one or two pages back, and half a year ago, were looking for. If there is anyone who is still maintaining / has ownership of the mod right now, I'd be happy to work with you. Looking at the assets, the only problem I can see is the Laythe color map is not in a useable state. I think it uses the same height based colors as Kerbin, though.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Sorry for the bump, but I'm trying to port this to Kopernicus, and I need to know the planets' exact orbits. Doesn't need to be precise, I just need the basic idea of them, but if you want to give me all the details, go ahead.

And as stated above, Laythe and Minmus will look like their vanilla counterparts due to the lack of a colourmap for Laythe and a heightmap for Minmus.

Sorry for the bump, but I'm trying to port this to Kopernicus, and I need to know the planets' exact orbits. Doesn't need to be precise, I just need the basic idea of them, but if you want to give me all the details, go ahead.

And as stated above, Laythe and Minmus will look like their vanilla counterparts due to the lack of a colourmap for Laythe and a heightmap for Minmus.

fired up my 0.23 install with alternis kerbol (was still on my computer). first, even ingame, it doesn't allow a direct readout (and no timewarp in the radar station).

jool: 13,300,500km (slightly excentric), 1° inclination, 6000km radius, 0.8g, 10h 0m, 0s

moons of jool:

kerbin: circular orbit 63,253km over jool, tidally locked (2d, 10h, 52m)

mün: circular orbit, 37,107km over jool, 253km radius, 0.233g 1d, 5h, 25m

laythe: circular orbit, 21,184km over jool, 500km radius, 0.8g 14h, 34m 2s

minmus: circular orbit, 8740km over jool, 29km radius, 0.022g 5h, 25m, 34s

pol: 130,000-135,000km orbit, 3-4° inclination, 44km radius, 0.038g 7d 14h, 14m

bop: 180,000-185,000km orbit, 2° inclination, 65km radius, 0.06g 12d, 7h, 27m

eve: 8,175,603km (circular), 0-1° inc, scale height 8km, atmo 90km (should result in a lower surface pressure), 22h, 21m, 40s

moho: apoapsis: 5,222,117, periapsis: 2,700,000, 0° incl, 250km radius, 0.275g, 14d, 0h, 6m (tidally locked?)

tylo: circular orbit, 25,358,816km, 0° incl, 1103km radius, 4.035g, scale height 7km, 80000m (0,5bar, non oxygen), rotation 1d 10h 6m,

moons of tylo:

dres: circular orbit, 16,445km, 0° incl, 138km radius, 0.115g 9h 40m, 0s

duna: circular orbit, 35,083km 0° incl, 320km radius, 0.3g, scale height 5km, atmo 50000m 8d, 8h, 52m

eeloo: apoapsis ~97,250,000km, periapsis, 92,000,000km (not sure), 0°, 478km radius, 0.687g 5h, 24m, 20s

Vall (moon of eeloo): circular orbit, 4,462km, 100km radius, 0,0772g 1d, 12h, 41m

comets:

gilly: apoapsis ~110,000,000km, periapsis 80,000km (yes, that low), inclination 45°, 9km radius, 0.003g, 4h 10m, 34s

ike: apoapsis ~350,000,000km, periapsis 7,000,000km inclination 30°, 18km radius, 0.007g 1h, 56m, 23s

I guess, that covers it?

keep in mind, that duna and tylo have custom maps too.

and apparently, most moons are tidally locked.

I'm looking forward to a kopernikus-port of alternis, maybe in cooperation with new horizons (I like the planets over there, but miss the alternis-jool-system as starter-system, it was great for learning swing-by maneuvers, and new horizons is released under cc 4.0, and he already fixed a glitch with kerbin being on a different position)

Javascript is disabled. View full album

EDIT: actually, it should be simple to rearrange the new horizon planets in order to replicate the alternis kerbol system.

I'd say: sonnah gets more mass, a larger radius, and more moons (minmus, serran, mün, kerbin, aptur and one other small moon).

and that's it. it has a sister-system with jool and its moons, and several terrestrial planets in its vicinity :). and there is a super-tylo analog named titanus, which is a bit more forgiving as it has an oxygen-atmosphere.

Edited by Hotblack Desiato

I would Really, Really like to see a kopurnicus port for this mod. I set out to make one with my Insystem mod, but utterly failed.

since the new maps kinda disturb the biomes, what about new planets with the custom maps?

and lathe has a custom map too.

I'm not sure if it's actually necessary to add the other maps. having a red minmus is nice but not necessary. and the same thing goes for a greener laythe. again something that is not really necessary.

but the rearranged planets are nice, especially sitting in the big jool-system with all those other moons. and in my opinion, the new horizon planets are very well done, and its just a matter of configuration to have them on other orbits.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.