[1.8+] Real Fuels

NathanKell

The cause of the issue I believe IS RealismOverhaul. While it doesn't touch the engine per say. RO does touch ALL engines by changing them from ModuleEngines/FX to ModuleEnginesRF, and I'm betting this is the cause of the issue.

Does RO recognize any overrides (as Deadly Reentry does with its leaveTemp setting)?

Screenshot of the affected part please? (In the VAB I mean, showing the text you're referring to)

Mil7KAj.png

The "4.0 kN" thrust value is essentially pulled out of some @$$. It also doesn't scale with different fuels. It's also wrong in asserting that the engine consumes LiquidFuel only: it consumes all sorts of fuels, and they all work properly, with the correct Isp even, but the thrust is always stuck at the totally wrong 4 kN value. Removing RealismOverhaul/RealFuels makes the bug disappear.

Clearly something is forcing the engine to ignore KSPI when calculating its own thrust; however, scouring the whole GameData directory I couldn't find any ModuleManager patch patching over this engine specifically. KSPI also does set the thrust correctly *somewhere*: MechJeb thinks the thrust is the value given in the KSPI documentation, and thus is also massively confused.

Edited by miyuruasuka

Does RO recognize any overrides (as Deadly Reentry does with its leaveTemp setting)?

Not that I can see right now. What wouldn't be a bad idea is having the 'RSSROConfig = False' flag prevent the change from ModuleEngines/FX to ModuleEnginesRF to avoid a conflict such as this.

- - - Updated - - -

Clearly something is forcing the engine to ignore KSPI when calculating its own thrust; however, scouring the whole GameData directory I couldn't find any ModuleManager patch patching over this engine specifically. KSPI also does set the thrust correctly *somewhere*: MechJeb thinks the thrust is the value given in the KSPI documentation, and thus is also massively confused.

Yeah, pretty apparent the change to ModuleEnginesRF is causing the issue.

So if I understand correctly, there is no way of working around this issue unless ModuleEngineRF fixes its steamrolling over non-RO engines?

No, you aren't understanding correctly. This is what I said it was from the very beginning.

That would likely be caused by whichever engine pack they installed. Real Fuels itself no longer alters engines. You need engine configs for that.

ModuleEnginesRF isn't 'steamrollering' over anything. A set of configs is being applied to that engine and changing it to something that is not KSPI compatible. My original assessment stands. This isn't a Real Fuels issue.

I'm not claiming it's a Real Fuels issue. As the other user said, it's probably because RealismOverhaul is "steamrollering" over everything. I was just asking whether there was a workaround (say, by config file) or not; I have no intention to blame RF.

RO is weird in that it touches *every* engine whether there's a config for it for not, and somehow this touching breaks KSPI but not most other "non RO" mods. I'll post about this in the RO thread.

A ModuleManager fix using :AFTER[RealismOverhaul] could correct it. Alternatively, edit the Realism Overhaul config file that sets the engine.

As I said, there's no specific config file that mentions the engine. StoryMusgrave's suggested hack (in the RO thread) of removing "RealismOverhaul/RealPlume_Configs/000_Generic_Plumes_Catchall/000_ModuleEnginesFixer.cfg" works perfectly for me.

(By the way, why do I have to keep repeating that this is not due to RO having a broken config that changes the engine? This is a problem with RO attempting to convert everything to Real Fuels even for engines that already support RF fuel names using the stock fuel system, and has *nothing* to do with there being a config changing the engine.)

(By the way, why do I have to keep repeating that this is not due to RO having a broken config that changes the engine? This is a problem with RO attempting to convert everything to Real Fuels even for engines that already support RF fuel names using the stock fuel system, and has *nothing* to do with there being a config changing the engine.)

No, no, no. It is changing the MODULE which controls the engine. From the stock ModuleEngines or ModuleEnginesFX to a new ModuleEnginesRF that has additional goodies added by NathanKell, which is apparently is breaking KSPI. RO is in the wrong, it will be corrected. Let's just drop this.

Edited by StoryMusgrave

As I said, there's no specific config file that mentions the engine. StoryMusgrave's suggested hack (in the RO thread) of removing "RealismOverhaul/RealPlume_Configs/000_Generic_Plumes_Catchall/000_ModuleEnginesFixer.cfg" works perfectly for me.

Except that it is a config changing the engine. What difference does it make whether it's being done specifically and explicitly to that engine or a config blanketing multiple parts.

Think about it, you could have arrived at a fix hours ago if not for various arguments against what I said it was from the very beginning.

OK to end this conversation, I'll bring up a different problem.

I seem to be having the fuel unstable issue too, that somebody previously reported. I remember that guy had the issue on launchers, but in my case this happened in orbit.

I had a KW 2.5m service propulsion system on my craft with the dev version of Stockalike configs.

The other engines I had on the craft (that was on a different stage) functioned properly, but this one in particular didn't work in this case. The fuel flow state for this engine rapidly changes to "Unstable" and never moves from there. Applying thrust from RCS doesn't make it go towards a stable state at all, and the suspicious part is that it never even goes to being "Very Unstable" but just stays unstable the whole time.

This is not due to the RCS not having enough thrust, as my previous missions using the same craft design worked as I intended.

Quicksave and Quickload didn't solve the issue.

This phenomenon leads me to think there is some phantom force being applied by a bug, that holds the fuel in the unstable state. I will give a link to my output_log.

https://kie.nu/2Ldg

My game keeps freezing then crashing after this NRE spam:

(Filename:  Line: -1)

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
at RealFuels.ModuleEngineConfigs.StopFX () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at RealFuels.ModuleEngineConfigs.FixedUpdate () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

My game keeps freezing then crashing after this NRE spam:

(Filename:  Line: -1)

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
at RealFuels.ModuleEngineConfigs.StopFX () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at RealFuels.ModuleEngineConfigs.FixedUpdate () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

Think we need to see the entire log (output_log.txt or player.log if Linux/Mac). Your ModuleManager.ConfigCache file wouldn't hurt either.

To Anyone interested in trying out new Real Fuels boiloff before it officially arrives:

(this requires manually overwriting and you should only do this if you are comfortable with your file system and installing KSP mods by hand)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/25hzx1lrlcw72w1/RealFuels_Boiloff_Revamp.zip?dl=1

How to install:

Open the zip file and copy the contents into your RealFuels folder. Overwrite when asked.

What it does:

It's updated to properly use latent heat of vaporization instead of an emperically determined loss rate.

Tanks will also be properly cooled down by evaporative processes.

Tank insulation is an actual thing now and uses a combination of modified part conductivity and an internally calculated method using Fourier conduction formula.

The tank configs still need a tweaking pass; some tanks may boil off approximately twice as much as they should or half as much as they should.

Only LqdOxygen, LqdHydrogen, LqdMethane and LqdAmmonia use the new boiloff process. There are still some resources that don't have vaporization values assigned yet and use the old loss_rate system.

Updated using the latest official code.

(my github fork: https://github.com/Starwaster/ModularFuelSystem/tree/Dev/Source )

Update on my issue, restarting the game hasn't helped with the situation. The craft's engine still shows the Unstable state and won't budge at all.

The fuel state shows Unstable at first when you load, then it goes to Very Stable then quickly to Unstable again all before physics kicks in, and once physics are in and I can control the craft it's stuck there.

I may as well have to abandon this mission and return the crew if RF doesn't bring a fix for this soon...

Edited by ebigunso

ebigunsosd. Please provide a detailed scenario of duplication steps. I'd also like to propose that this may not be an issue with RealFuels but with the stockalike config itself. If this were a giant bug within RealFuels, then essentially anything that used it would not work. Since that appears to not be the case, then I'd look further at the engine config itself.

To Anyone interested in trying out new Real Fuels boiloff before it officially arrives:

(my github fork: https://github.com/Starwaster/ModularFuelSystem/tree/Dev/Source )

Question about the RealTankTypes.cfg you have with it.

Under deafault type your lqdoxygen entry has no loss rate is that inteded?

name = Default
highlyPressurized = False
basemass = 0.000016 * volume
TANK
{
name = LqdOxygen
mass = 0.000014
utilization = 1
fillable = True
amount = 0.0
maxAmount = 0.0
temperature = 90.15
note = (lacks insulation)
}

Then your crygen entry has no insulation parameter for lqdOxygen

//Cryogenic
TANK_DEFINITION
{
name = Cryogenic
basemass = 0.000019 * volume
outerInsulationFactor = 0.025
TANK
{
name = LqdOxygen
mass = 0.0000112
utilization = 1
fillable = True
amount = 0.0
maxAmount = 0.0
temperature = 90.15
note = (has insulation)
}

Do you have something against lqdOxygen Starwaster??? :P

Question about the RealTankTypes.cfg you have with it.

Under deafault type your lqdoxygen entry has no loss rate is that inteded?

name = Default
basemass = 0.000016 * volume
TANK
{
name = LqdOxygen
mass = 0.000014
utilization = 1
fillable = True
amount = 0.0
maxAmount = 0.0
temperature = 90.15
note = (lacks insulation)
}

Yes, as I said, this replaces the old loss_rate determined boil-off. (though that might not have been as clear as I intended, but it's there in the first sentence.

The reason for that, BTW, is that with the new KSP 1.0 thermodynamics, tanks and their resources can absorb heat at a rate that doesn't match the loss_rate determined rate. That being the case, even though we've had evaporative cooling for months now (pretty much ever since Real Fuels updated for KSP 1.0) it does no good because because the cooling didn't happen as fast as the heating. That's why I've been working on this, so that boiloff code will be up to snuff with our new thermodynamic system.

//Cryogenic
TANK_DEFINITION
{
name = Cryogenic
TANK
{
name = LqdOxygen
mass = 0.0000112
utilization = 1
fillable = True
amount = 0.0
maxAmount = 0.0
temperature = 90.15
note = (has insulation)
}

Uhm it DID have insulation.... HONEST! I'll have to go back and look for it. I think I see it sticking out of the sofa cushions.... I'll have it fixed soonish

ebigunsosd. Please provide a detailed scenario of duplication steps. I'd also like to propose that this may not be an issue with RealFuels but with the stockalike config itself. If this were a giant bug within RealFuels, then essentially anything that used it would not work. Since that appears to not be the case, then I'd look further at the engine config itself.

Right.

Since I didn't have this issue for previous launches of the same craft, I can't say for sure what is the cause. But I'll instead post my save game so anyone who wants to test can take a look at it.

The craft named "Lunar Mission Mother Ship" is the one in question.

Also I'll put up my craft file so you can test that alone. For the craft you'll need KW Rocketry, HullcamVDS, BoxSat, COSMOS SSPP, Procedural tanks, Procedural Fairings, FASA Launch Towers, RealFuels and the Stockalike config for it.

For the mods I have, there's a whole bunch so I'll put that inside a spoiler.

(Stock - Adjusted transmit science scaler for Accelorometer, Barometer, Gravitometer, Thermometer, Atmospheric Sensor.

Increased average contract number to 20.)

Active Texture Management (Agressive, w/ Naten's Configs & Original Configs)

Advanced Jet Engine

Alternate Resource Panel

Astronomer's Visual Pack

Auto Pruner (pruned KW SRB,Stock Heat Shild, KOSMOS SSPP, RO Global Tank, RO Global Fairing)

--Original Prune list: KOSMOS_SSPP, KW_SRB, RSCapsuledyne_Tank, Stock_Fairings, Stock_HeatShield, Renewed Stock Tanks list/RO Global Tanks list/Stock Wings list(incomplete)

B9 Aerospace (Infodrive only/adjusted mass to 0.01)

B9 Aerospace Procedural Parts

Better Buoyancy

BoxSat (1.0.2 patched)

ClampsBeGone

Cloud Configuration for OPM (AST-Int)

Community Tech Tree

Connected Living Space (w/ Taurus HCV config)

Contract Configurator (Field Research, Tourism Plus, Useful Space Stations)

Contract Window+

Crowd Sourced Science

Deadly Reentry

Default Throttle

Distant Object Enhancement

Docking Port Alignment Indicator

Editor Extensions

Enhanced Navball

Environmental Visual Enhancements

Extraplanetary Launchpads

FASA Launch Towers

Ferram Aerospace Resarch

Final Frontier

Flight Manager for Reusable Stages (1.0.2 ver)

Heat Management (w/ Community Tech Tree patch)

Hullcam VDS

Impact!

Infernal Robotics Rework (Core)

K2 Command Pod (Ablator added)

Kerbal Alarm Clock

Kerbal Attachment System

Kerbal Construction Time

Kerbal Engineer Redux

Kerbal Inventory System

Kerbal Joint Reinforcement

Kopernicus

Kopernicus Expansion

kOS

KOSMOS SSPP (Fixed Node attachement direction)

KSP TOT

KW Rocketry (1.0.2 ver w/ community 1.0.4 patch) ==WAITING UPDATE==

Near Future Technologies (Solar, Electric, Propultion, Decaying RTG, Low thurust Electric)

Outer Planets Mod

Persistent Rotation

Planet Shine

Portrait Stats

Precise Node

Procedural Fairings

Procedural Parts

Raster Prop Monitor

RCS Build Aid

Real Fuels (w/ stockalike config, realistic engine mass false)

Real Chute (w/ Community Tech Tree Patch)

Real Heat (WIP 2015/7/15)

Real Plume (w/ Stock config)

Remote Tech

SCANsat

Ship Manifest

Simple Orbit Calculator

SmokeScreen

Stock Bug Fix

TAC Fuel Balancer

TAC Life Support

Taurus HCV (w/ Community Tech Tree patch)

Texture Replacer (w/ Rareden's Real 8k Skybox)

Thermal Monitor

Toolbar

Transfer Window Planner

Trajectories (1.0.2 ver)

Tweak Scale

USI Kolonization Systems

Waypoint Manager

Here's the files: Save Game, Craft File

I'll also post the Module manager cache for this specific engine if you want to take a look at that also.

UrlConfig
{
name = KW2mengineSPS
type = PART
parentUrl = KWRocketry/Parts/Engines/2mSPS/part
url = KWRocketry/Parts/Engines/2mSPS/part/KW2mengineSPS
PART
{
name = KW2mengineSPS
module = Part
author = KW Rocketry
node_stack_top = 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 2
node_stack_top2 = 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 2
node_stack_bottom = 0.0, -0.687, 0.0, 0.0, -1.0, 0.0, 2
TechRequired = heavyRocketry
cost = 526
category = Engine
subcategory = 0
title = KW Rocketry Hypergolic Service Propulsion System
manufacturer = KW Rocketry
description = A simple motor for small spacecraft that shares the same propellants as your reaction control system. Built for efficiency in a vacuum. Plume configured by RealPlume.
attachRules = 1,0,1,1,0
mass = 0.59
dragModelType = default
maximum_drag = 0.2
minimum_drag = 0.2
angularDrag = 2
crashTolerance = 7
breakingForce = 200
breakingTorque = 200
maxTemp = 1523.15
emissiveConstant = 0.8
stagingIcon = LIQUID_ENGINE
entryCost = 2630
oldMaxTemp = 1531
tempMult = 0.994872632266493
MODEL
{
model = KWRocketry/Parts/Engines/2mSPS/KW_2mEngine_SPS_M
scale = 1, 1, 1
}
MODEL
{
model = KWRocketry/Parts/Fairings/UnifiedFairings/KW_Auto_2mSPSShroud
scale = 1, 1, 1
}
MODULE
{
name = ModuleEnginesRF
thrustVectorTransformName = NozzleTransform
engineID = KWSPSLE
runningEffectName = running_closed
exhaustDamage = True
ignitionThreshold = 0.1
minThrust = 0
maxThrust = 200
heatProduction = 95.5077726975833
atmosphereCurve
{
key = 0 330
key = 1 116
key = 3 0.001
}
PROPELLANT
{
name = MMH
ratio = 49.965541
DrawGauge = True
ResourceFlowMode = STACK_PRIORITY_SEARCH
}
PROPELLANT
{
name = NTO
ratio = 50.034459
}
}
MODULE
{
name = ModuleGimbal
gimbalTransformName = NozzleTransform
gimbalRange = 3
useGimbalResponseSpeed = true
gimbalResponseSpeed = 15
}
MODULE
{
name = ModuleAnimateEmissive
ThermalAnim = GriffonEmissiveAnim
useHeat = True
lerpMin = 0
lerpMax = 750
lerpOffset = -150
lerpPow = 0.875
lerpOuterScalar = 1
lerpInnerScalar = 1
}
MODULE
{
name = ModuleAlternator
RESOURCE
{
name = ElectricCharge
rate = 4
}
}
MODULE
{
name = ModuleJettison
jettisonName = 2mSPSShroud
bottomNodeName = bottom
isFairing = True
jettisonedObjectMass = 0.1
jettisonForce = 5
jettisonDirection = 0 0 1
}
MODULE
{
name = ModuleSurfaceFX
thrustProviderModuleIndex = 0
fxMax = 0.4
maxDistance = 30
falloff = 1.5
thrustTransformName = NozzleTransform
}
RESOURCE
{
name = ElectricCharge
amount = 2
maxAmount = 2
isTweakable = false
hideFlow = true
}
MODULE
{
name = BBModule
}
MODULE
{
name = FMRS_PM
parent_vessel = 0
}
MODULE
{
name = MGFix
plusEnabled = True
}
MODULE
{
name = ThermalMonitor
}
MODULE
{
name = TweakScale
type = stack
defaultScale = 2.5
TWEAKSCALEEXPONENTS
{
mass = 2.5
}
}
MODULE
{
name = USI_ModuleRecycleablePart
Menu = Scrap Part
ResourceName = Recyclables
Efficiency = .8
}
MODULE
{
name = USI_ModuleRecycleablePart
Menu = Salvage Part
ResourceName = SpecializedParts
Efficiency = .4
}
MODULE
{
name = GeometryPartModule
}
MODULE
{
name = FARAeroPartModule
}
MODULE
{
name = FARPartModule
}
MODULE
{
name = KOSNameTag
}
MODULE
{
name = ModuleEngineConfigs
techLevel = 4
origTechLevel = 4
engineType = O
origMass = 0.59
configuration = MMH+NTO
modded = false
type = ModuleEnginesRF
CONFIG
{
name = MMH+NTO
maxThrust = 200
IspSL = 0.9600
IspV = 0.9500
throttle = 0
powerEffectName = Hypergolic-OMS-White
PROPELLANT
{
name = MMH
ratio = 49.96554100620262
DrawGauge = True
}
PROPELLANT
{
name = NTO
ratio = 50.03445899379738
}
ModuleEngineIgnitor
{
ignitionsAvailable = 24
useUllageSimulation = true
autoIgnitionTemperature = 800
ignitorType = Electric
IGNITOR_RESOURCE
{
name = ElectricCharge
amount = 2
}
}
}
CONFIG
{
name = UDMH+NTO
maxThrust = 200
IspSL = 0.9500
IspV = 0.9500
throttle = 0
powerEffectName = Hypergolic-OMS-White
PROPELLANT
{
name = UDMH
ratio = 47.82321899736148
DrawGauge = True
}
PROPELLANT
{
name = NTO
ratio = 52.17678100263852
}
ModuleEngineIgnitor
{
ignitionsAvailable = 24
ignitorType = Electric
IGNITOR_RESOURCE
{
name = ElectricCharge
amount = 2
}
}
}
}
ModuleEngineIgnitor
{
ignitionsAvailable = 24
}
PLUME
{
name = Hypergolic-OMS-White
transformName = NozzleTransform
localRotation = 0,0,0
localPosition = 0,0,-0.84
fixedScale = 7
energy = 1
speed = 1
flareScale = 7
plumeScale = 7
flarePosition = 0,0,-0.84
plumePosition = 0,0,-0.84
}
EFFECTS
{
Hypergolic-OMS-White
{
MODEL_MULTI_PARTICLE_PERSIST
{
transformName = NozzleTransform
localRotation = 0,0,0
localPosition = 0,0,-0.84
fixedScale = 7
energy = 1
speed = 1
name = plume
modelName = RealPlume/MP_Nazari_FX/ssmeflame2
fixedEmissions = false
sizeClamp = 50
randomInitalVelocityOffsetMaxRadius = 0
randConeEmit
{
density = 1 0.2
density = 0.3 0.4
density = 0 0.7
}
logGrow
{
density = 1.0 2
density = 0.1 2
density = 0.0 2
}
logGrowScale
{
density = 1.0 0.0
density = 0.8 0
density = 0.46 0
density = 0.2 2
density = 0.1 3
density = 0.0 3
}
linGrow
{
density = 1.0 0
density = 0.46 0.0
density = 0.2 5
density = 0.05 7
density = 0.0 8
}
grow
{
density = 1 -0.99
density = 0.8 0
density = 0.0 0
}
speed
{
density = 1.0 0.7
density = 0.46 1
density = 0.2 1.5
density = 0.05 1.8
density = 0.0 1.9
}
emission
{
density = 1.0 1.5
density = 0.8 1.5
density = 0.2 1.7
density = 0.1 1.7
density = 0.05 2
density = 0.0 2.5
power = 1 1
power = 0.01 0.2
power = 0 0
}
energy
{
density = 1.0 2
density = 0.3 1.7
density = 0.05 0.8
density = 0.0 0.7
}
size
{
density = 1.0 0.85
density = 0.8 0.80
density = 0.2 0.65
density = 0.0 0.75
}
}
AUDIO
{
channel = Ship
clip = RealPlume/KW_Sounds/sound_spsloop
volume = 0.0 0.0
volume = 1.0 1.5
pitch = 0.0 1.0
pitch = 1.0 1.0
loop = true
}
}
engage
{
AUDIO
{
channel = Ship
clip = RealPlume/KW_Sounds/sound_sps
volume = 1.5
pitch = 1.0
loop = false
}
}
disengage
{
AUDIO
{
channel = Ship
clip = sound_vent_soft
volume = 1.0
pitch = 2.0
loop = false
}
}
flameout
{
AUDIO
{
channel = Ship
clip = sound_explosion_low
volume = 1.0
pitch = 2.0
loop = false
}
}
}
}
}

Edited by ebigunso

//Cryogenic
TANK_DEFINITION
{
name = Cryogenic
TANK
{
name = LqdOxygen
mass = 0.0000112
utilization = 1
fillable = True
amount = 0.0
maxAmount = 0.0
temperature = 90.15
note = (has insulation)
}

Actually I have to re-analyze that. It does have insulation, it's just in the TANK_DEFINITION. The O2 tank itself probably literally does not have its own separate insulation for that type of tank.

The only one that probably really needs it is the H2 tank. In fact, you'll notice that the default H2 TANK originally said 'lacks insulation' but I added some in this revision. The reason for that is because in researching this I noticed that our space program has always insulated the hydrogen tanks while at the same time leaving the oxygen tanks uninsulated.

Also, if you are trying this update, put a tank up with H2/O2 and you'll probably not see any O2 boiloff at all while the tank still has H2 in it. The reason for that is that it's getting chilled by the H2 tank's boiloff. (which I'm not sure is really even possible unless they're all common bulkheads, so just assume that they all are :P)

Yes, as I said, this replaces the old loss_rate determined boil-off. (though that might not have been as clear as I intended, but it's there in the first sentence.

The reason for that, BTW, is that with the new KSP 1.0 thermodynamics, tanks and their resources can absorb heat at a rate that doesn't match the loss_rate determined rate. That being the case, even though we've had evaporative cooling for months now (pretty much ever since Real Fuels updated for KSP 1.0) it does no good because because the cooling didn't happen as fast as the heating. That's why I've been working on this, so that boiloff code will be up to snuff with our new thermodynamic system.

Uhm it DID have insulation.... HONEST! I'll have to go back and look for it. I think I see it sticking out of the sofa cushions.... I'll have it fixed soonish

So would the entries for structural and ballon need the loss rate removed ?

//Structural
TANK_DEFINITION
{
name = Structural
basemass = 0.000039 * volume
TANK
{
name = LqdOxygen
mass = 0.000014
utilization = 1
fillable = True